Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-07-2020, 06:08 PM   #1

2008 Jayco Seneca 35GS looking for update mods what have you done to your 08

I have a 2008 Jayco Seneca 35GS super c that I love the rv but there are things I’d like to change like the cab over area, remove the diner for a tabl and chairs. I’ve already upgraded both TVs the front it work in progress the rear was fairly easy. I added a self tracking non motion satellite dish and a WiFi antenna that can also use cell service but it is expensive. I had a solar panel installed but it was ripped off in as during a wind storm a few years back.

Things I’d like to do
1) turn the cab over into a computer and entertainment area.
2) in stall a solar system that will support off grid living for weeks using the genset as needed.
3) need to get a hand on the coax cables for the tv to find out what comes from where. Iirc there’s an sat inpu at the water station along with the cable connection. I need a control box that will switch inputs for the tv so I can use the cable at parks in either room same with roof mounted antenna and satellite inputs. Hopefully one that uses rf remotes so I can swap inputs in the bedroom without getting out of bed. Also upgrade the tv antenna for the newer signals.

4) I’m envious of those rigs with a tablet controller for the systems I’d like to configure one into my rig.

5) I’m adding a keyless coach door lock.

6) I’d like a powered hose real for the power cord which I keep in the compartment nearest to the external port.

7) power valve for the black and grey dumps.

I saw a post where a fellow rver spent a chunk of change to renovate his older rv. Because of the prices of the newer RVs that make sense if the rig is otherwise in great shap. I’m thinking my Diesel engine isn’t even b/Rome in yet at 60k miles. Have the drive train and brakes gone over and Incase of the brakes upgrade them my tires are relatively new high quality tires. The front have a run flat device.

Speaking of the genset how do set it to automatically switch on without killing the batteries when it’s running. If I start it manually it doesn’t drain the batteries but if I try to use the inverter and batteries and have it start when the batteries drop so far it keeps draining the batteries.

What do you think the 35GS needs to compete with the newer rvs as for functionality and looks?
Blackey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2020, 06:15 PM   #2

I wanted to get a reel for power as well. Powered ones are pretty expensive so I might do a hand roll. I’m gonna have it go through the bottom so I can still shut the door. Also run a jumper from the bay to the plug in so I can keep excess cord still rolled up [emoji2373]

Interested in the powered dump valves. My black tank dump is on the other side by propane Rand on my 08 36FS
BrettLee3232 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2020, 05:11 PM   #3

New here

Hi I have a Jayco Seneca HD 35GS and had a question for somebody, for some reason the front half of my coach is not running offshore power. When I am hooked up to shore power even with the switch off the stairs still go in and out when I open and close the door, and the TV receptacle has no power. It has something to do with the ignition power I believe. If anyone can give me any suggestions or point me in a certain direction I would greatly appreciate it.
Thanks Travis
Travisk05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 08:58 AM   #4

Tv plug..

The tv receptical in the front of s seneca is connected to the inverter. There should be a switch in the back bedroom that will switch between the front tv and the one in the bedroom. The original inverters were only 400 watts so you are not supposed to run both TVs at the same time.
Superseneca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 01:49 PM   #5

Inverter

I have a 2000w Xentrex inverter That came in it
Travisk05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2021, 03:56 PM   #6

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrettLee3232 View Post
I wanted to get a reel for power as well. Powered ones are pretty expensive so I might do a hand roll. I’m gonna have it go through the bottom so I can still shut the door. Also run a jumper from the bay to the plug in so I can keep excess cord still rolled up ....

A WARNING in the Jayco Owner's manual states:
The power cord must be fully extended when in use and not left coiled in a storage compartment or on the ground. If the power cord is left coiled, it may potentially create enough heat to melt its protective casing.

This was an issue with boaters who wanted to keep the dock shipshape and ended up losing their boat. FYI. Stay Safe!
DaSkipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2021, 08:03 AM   #7

Keep it simple

the best features of the 1st gen Senecas is their drivability, simplicity, and reliability. You've got a great foundation. Adding personal improvements will enhance your trip experience but be careful all those features can effect reliability.
Example. Electric locking mechanism have had a reputation for failure.

Superseneca is offline   Reply With Quote