Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-24-2020, 07:24 AM   #1

2010 Seneca 35GS has been sitting at dealer for over 2 years

Hi everybody, first-time poster here.

Am looking for a Seneca, since the regular class Cs don't fit me Only class Cs based on the MB chassis allow me to sit behind the steering wheel. Anything based on Ford or Chevy, the seats don't go far back enough for my legs to fit under the steering wheel :-/

So the Super C concept is something for me.

Spotted a 2010 35GS, with only 12k miles on it. I used various internet sites to figure out that that RV has been sitting on the dealer's lot for over 2 years. I must assume then that it has not been used for the last two years.

As a first-time buyer, is this something to stay away from?

I can imagine that tanks, lines and seals may dry out and get brittle without use, and unsure if the diesel engine / transmission likes sitting still for most of the last two years.

The price is a bit higher than the NADA guides offer, so there's room for negotiation i guess.

The dealer offers a 1 month warranty, and the option to buy extended warranty, but should i even spend time on researching more?

Thanks,

Roland
therealroland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 08:06 AM   #2

First, welcome to the campfire.

If it has been sitting on a dealer's lot for 2 years I'd first ask what is wrong with it? Dealer's will often sell at a loss before allowing something, especially a used unit to sit on a lot for over a year.

I would still consider the unit but I'd would spend the money and get a professional RV inspector (independent) to do a complete top to bottom, nose to tail, inspection and verify all systems are healthy and operational. This should also include verifying the age of the tires.

If the inspection passed to your satisfaction I would then have the dealer perform all scheduled maintenance due on the chassis and generator based on mileage and time and provide the service invoice as proof of what was done.

Also, find a detailed PDI checklist and make compliance with the PDI checklist and PDI based walk through a condition in the purchase offer. Attach the PDI checklist to the purchase offer when submitting and make sure it is signed along with the offer at dealer acceptance. Depending on the RV inspection you may decide this is redundant.

If the dealer balks at any of this then walk away, there is something wrong with the coach that is not being disclosed.

Those are my thoughts and how I would approach the situation.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk TOAD
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 09:02 AM   #3

The coach itself I would not be overly concerned with. Being 10 years old, I would want to do all the standard things and check it over closely. I would spend some extra time looking over every single caulk joint. Caulking tends to start failing after 4 years or so. That means, if it has not been maintained, water will seep in and cause all kinds of issues if it has not been touched up. Dealerships are not known to do maintenance on rigs just sitting in their lots. The previous owner may have been really good about doing maintenance, but what has happened since the dealer to possession??

My biggest concern is the drive train. I am not a diesel expert. But I would start by finding a good diesel mechanic. Ask questions, about the low mileage, sitting so long, diesel algae, what concerns they may foresee. After your initial review and discussion, I would probably insist that it went into a major diesel repair shop for an evaluation.

Also check the age of the tires. They may look great, but at 10 years old they should be replaced. I suspect tires for that rig are not cheap.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 09:15 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by EA37TS View Post
First, welcome to the campfire.

If it has been sitting on a dealer's lot for 2 years I'd first ask what is wrong with it? Dealer's will often sell at a loss before allowing something, especially a used unit to sit on a lot for over a year.

I would still consider the unit but I'd would spend the money and get a professional RV inspector (independent) to do a complete top to bottom, nose to tail, inspection and verify all systems are healthy and operational. This should also include verifying the age of the tires.

If the inspection passed to your satisfaction I would then have the dealer perform all scheduled maintenance due on the chassis and generator based on mileage and time and provide the service invoice as proof of what was done.

Also, find a detailed PDI checklist and make compliance with the PDI checklist and PDI based walk through a condition in the purchase offer. Attach the PDI checklist to the purchase offer when submitting and make sure it is signed along with the offer at dealer acceptance. Depending on the RV inspection you may decide this is redundant.

If the dealer balks at any of this then walk away, there is something wrong with the coach that is not being disclosed.

Those are my thoughts and how I would approach the situation.
I Agree 100%

Something is odd with it being on a dealers lot for that long.
07 Toyota FJC & Yamaha Kodiak 400 ATV

SloPoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 09:39 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloPoke View Post

Something is odd with it being on a dealers lot for that long.
Not really since many dealers and individuals have them overpriced. I know of another 2010 that has 36,000 miles that's been on a lot that long as well. Many rigs are priced in the $70-80 K range and in 2008-10 you could buy it new for $105-110 K.

The other thing that needs to be considered is body & chassis parts for the KODIAK are hard to find when making the decision to purchase. The chassis itself is a great rig with the DURAMAX.
Old 06-24-2020, 09:48 AM   #6

If a car sits way to long on a dealers lot they raise the price then during negotiations give you what you think is a fantastic discount and blow the iron out the door. Don’t let that be you! Do what EA37TS said.