Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-06-2018, 08:20 AM   #1
Lost in the Woods

2012 Seneca adding airbags to rear anyone done it?

Our 2012 Seneca has spring suspension. It lists to port due to the weight of the slideout. This is especially troublesome when the windward side is starboard.

On our Ford F450, which pulls a 40' DreamCoach horse trailer, we had a similar problem, but not as bad. It too has leaf springs. I added a set of Firestone airbags (AirLift Super Duty kit) and it solved the problem entirely and dramatically improved our towing experience.

I wonder if anyone has done it on the Seneca, and whether there are any gotchas or tips. It does not appear to have much room to do it, but like the little engine that could...I think I can. Also, any advice including brands or other thoughts would be welcome.
RayBo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 03:21 PM   #2

We have added most every suspension upgrade to our first generation (FG) Seneca that has both front and rear leaf springs except air bags. There is another FG owner who has added them.
The Chevrolet Kodiak chassis of the FG Seneca is likely different in many respects to yours, but there must be kits available.

Sorry we couldn't be of more help, but also didn't want your post to be missed by other SG Seneca owners.
WinnieView is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 03:22 PM   #3
Lost in the Woods

Right on. Thanks for the help. Once I get it done, I'll post and copy you.
Old 02-08-2018, 12:30 PM   #4

My First Gen Seneca has air springs. I believe they were factory added, after they realized the very earliest Senecas left the factory with springs that were way too light for the added weight that Jayco was putting on the rear of that chassis. The difference in driving manners from having 50-60 psi in those air springs vs having 100+ psi in them is like night and day. You will likely experience the same.

As for the listing toward one side, the added weight of the slide should not change much, unless the mechanical springs on that side have taken a bit of a sag. That is entirely possible. If it's noticeable, simply adding spring rate with air springs may not solve that one. The best way to tell is to take the whole rig to a weigh scale. CAT has them set up at many truck stops, and any local moving and storage company will have them to ensure even loading of heavy loads. For 10 bucks, I was able to determine how much weight was on each corner of the chassis. That will certainly help with your loading plans and give you an opportunity to even out the weight from side to side.
Old 03-02-2020, 11:00 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayBo View Post
Our 2012 Seneca has spring suspension. It lists to port due to the weight of the slideout. This is especially troublesome when the windward side is starboard.

On our Ford F450, which pulls a 40' DreamCoach horse trailer, we had a similar problem, but not as bad. It too has leaf springs. I added a set of Firestone airbags (AirLift Super Duty kit) and it solved the problem entirely and dramatically improved our towing experience.

I wonder if anyone has done it on the Seneca, and whether there are any gotchas or tips. It does not appear to have much room to do it, but like the little engine that could...I think I can. Also, any advice including brands or other thoughts would be welcome.
Good morning Jay,

Just curious if were able to add air bags to your 2012 Jayco Seneca? If you did can you give me the brand and model number? Also how well they are performing? The wife and I bought a 2012 Seneca last year and have experienced some very ruff driving conditions so I'm currently looking at all options to improve the ride and handling including adding Timbren suspension kits (front and back) Roadmaster sway bar, Koni FSD shocks (front and back) and Roadmaster steering stabilizer bar.
Thanks, Dave
davebrown1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 01:55 PM   #6
Lost in the Woods

So, I did not add the airbags yet because we've been across country and back several times since my last post and haven't had time. I did learn that the Firestone Ride Rite brand can do our Jayco truck because it's a factory Freightliner M2 106 chassis. (Not confirmed but makes sense because I have other Freightliners) I have the Ride Rite on all my F450's, so I'm definitely a believer.

One key thing that matters I have learned...change out your front sway bar bushings with urethane. You can buy the ones that are "certified" for the FL, but you will find they cost about $160 for a set. I bought some that were "close" in size and identical in material at $16 a set, gripped them in my soft jaw vise and drilled the center hole from 7/16" to 1/2". Perfect. Resist the urge to over-drill. You want them really tight, which makes them really hard to install. Use a 1/2" really sharp (new) drill and be patient. Don't squeeze the bushing into an oval. Make a jig if you need to do so. I used a 1" O.D. piece of EMT conduit fitting, pressed the bushing into it, then gripped the EMT into the vise and drilled it. Worked perfectly. Got 5K miles on them so far and have seen a huge difference in handling. Once we get done with this segment of rodeo I'll do the airbags and update everyone. For now, just doing the front end made a big difference. Just my 2¢.
Old 03-02-2020, 08:23 PM   #7

I was talking to my buddy the other day about interchangeability of "class -8 truck parts" and he suprised me with the response he gave... I did not know this until last week.

Most of the suspension components across Freightliner, Kenworth, Peterbuilt etc are all identical and built by third party companies. He told me that the frame specifications (measurements how they are sized) are virtually identical and that most of the parts/components are interchangeable. As I asked him about the Airliner Suspension (on our Seneca) he said that what we have on OUR SENECA is the standard single axle air suspension assembly found on KW and PB chassis too. .

He said that we don't need to worry about "non Freightliner" parts as they are all the same. I will ask him this week if you were to pick up an "airliner suspension from a wrecking yard" what the downside of swapping it out could be.
07 Toyota FJC & Yamaha Kodiak 400 ATV

SloPoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 06:42 AM   #8

I just added Timbren jounce springs, front and rear, and the Road Master Steering Stabilizer bar. Made a major improvement in the ride on surface streets. Next is to add the Koni FSD shocks, waiting for them to ship. Going On long trip next week, hopefully we have the same result on the freeway.

2012 Jayco Seneca 36FK
Dave
davebrown1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 07:37 AM   #9

Dave
I own a 2012 Jayco Seneca 37 FS. I was looking at ordering Timbren as well
Rear model FRM2L
Front model FFM2A
Does it make a big difference in cushioning and softness of the ride. Because just the stock leaf springs on the Freightliner gives it such a rough hard ride.
Allen C is offline   Reply With Quote