Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-13-2019, 11:02 AM   #1

2013 Seneca 37TS - Pro and Cons please

Have been looking for a Super C for a while now. Last week I just missed out on a 2015 37FS sold the day before I got to the dealer. Dealer just called and said they have a 2013 37TS coming in on Monday. I arranged for them to hold it for me to look at after work on Monday.

I know the major things to look for (I'm on my 4th Class A) like age of tires, batteries, general condition, delamination etc. It seems to be 26000lbs which is perfect as I can drop my Ontario D class and air brake endorsement and just use my ordinary license.

Are there any major issues with this model that I should look for? I've heard of the issue of slow transfer of fuel from passenger side to right but its more of a pain than anything.

Any comments on the ride or general maintenance issues that have cropped up?

thanks

Chris
cvbdsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 09:40 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvbdsl View Post
Have been looking for a Super C for a while now. Last week I just missed out on a 2015 37FS sold the day before I got to the dealer. Dealer just called and said they have a 2013 37TS coming in on Monday. I arranged for them to hold it for me to look at after work on Monday.

I know the major things to look for (I'm on my 4th Class A) like age of tires, batteries, general condition, delamination etc. It seems to be 26000lbs which is perfect as I can drop my Ontario D class and air brake endorsement and just use my ordinary license.

Are there any major issues with this model that I should look for? I've heard of the issue of slow transfer of fuel from passenger side to right but its more of a pain than anything.

Any comments on the ride or general maintenance issues that have cropped up?

thanks

Chris
I had looked at an early 2013 unit that was actually built on a 2012 chassis; it was before Jayco started using the Freightliner Airliner rear air suspension. I did not think its ride was as compliant as later units with the Airliner but ride is a very subjective topic. It also had traditional framed windows versus the later frameless style. Not necessarily a detriment, just different. But I can't remember whether the windows were dual-pane or not! The later M2-based units also had a GVWR of 28,000 lbs, perhaps the Airliner suspension bumped it up from the earlier leaf spring rear suspension but I don't know for sure.

The early units had a traditional 10-gallon tank-style hot water heater, probably worked better than the early Girard tankless water heater. I had the Girard and swapped it myself for an Atwood 10-gallon heater. I am very happy with that modification. I do all my own routine maintenance, no unusual problems have presented themselves. I have also done many modifications to my unit, something I enjoy very much.

Not sure what you mean about the "slow transfer of fuel". My 2014 has no such issue. The fuel gauge is notoriously inaccurate on many Senecas, mine seems slightly more accurate than others. But I still use my ScanGauge to track my fuel usage as well as many other parameters.

Let us know how things go!
Toads: 2019 Ford Edge ST or 2013 Ford Focus ST
Robbbyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 08:53 AM   #3

Thanks Rob
I'll keep an eye out to see if it is an early 2013 - the air suspension is a must.

The fuel transfer issue I was referring to was that if you fill up only the passenger side tank it reportedly takes 45 minutes to transfer fuel to the driver's side tank. The solution of course is to fill from both sides.

Chris
Old 04-14-2019, 11:50 AM   #4

I have a 2015 37TS. The fuel tanks are a slight issue if you don’t have access to a truck stop where you can fill from both sides. From what I’ve seen, the fuel gauge is attached to drivers side tank and will show full until the tanks equalize when you can only fuel on one side. Or if you fill only passengers side, gauge won’t register it until they equalize.
I was reading a thread a few days ago that said the tanks aren’t actually 75 gallons as stated in the specs also.
I’m not sure since I have never did a fill up from empty and being in Canada now, don’t wanna deal with trying to convert from liters.
GJegstrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 12:41 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by GJegstrup View Post
I was reading a thread a few days ago that said the tanks aren’t actually 75 gallons as stated in the specs also.
I’m not sure since I have never did a fill up from empty and being in Canada now, don’t wanna deal with trying to convert from liters.
Just had to do the conversion since I would have to fill it in liters.It looks like it would be around 283 liters.

Chris
Old 04-14-2019, 08:25 PM   #6

Quote:
The fuel transfer issue I was referring to was that if you fill up only the passenger side tank it reportedly takes 45 minutes to transfer fuel to the driver's side tank. The solution of course is to fill from both sides.

Chris
In case you have not seen it previously here is a link to a fellow Seneca owner's website where our fuel system is explained: Jayco Seneca Freightliner M2 Two Separate Fuel Tanks and Equiflo, How the hell does this work? | RV Underground

Also attached are some technical documents regarding the system.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Fuel transfer system 2.pdf (143.1 KB, 12 views)
Old 04-15-2019, 02:43 PM   #7

Thanks Rob for the great link.
Was supposed to see the 2013 this PM but their driver didn't pick it up today.
Supposed to be in tomorrow PM.

Chris
Old 04-15-2019, 03:03 PM   #8

The only ts specific issues to note that i have found are related to the passenger side slide. There is no slide topper on this so I use the awning while parked, I just put it out a foot or so to cover the slide, also makes it less wet using the door and you can keep the outside door open.

The other issue is that the jack sofa and cabinets are attached to the slide wall and it seems to be very poorly attached to the wall. I had to have the dealer resecure it to the wall as the counter top was pulling away. Even though this has been resolved I install a wedge under the jack sofa while the slides are in, this takes away all the unsupported weight and seems to be much stronger now.

As for the fuel issue, after filling both tanks as full as possible I get about 450 miles before the low fuel light comes on. Just enough to sneak through PA and not pay their high fuel taxes.
RVermont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 06:29 PM   #9

Thanks;
I put checking the jackknife and cabinets on my list.
Never thought of the slide topper, my last 3 motor homes have had slide toppers all the way around, even under the main awning.

Chris
Old 04-15-2019, 06:31 PM   #10

Just a quick question - the downloadable owner's manual refers to the chassis manual quite a bit, however I haven't been able to find a copy on the Jayco website. Any clues as to where I can find one for the 2013 chassis?

Thanks

Chris
Old 04-15-2019, 07:10 PM   #11

Quote:
Just a quick question - the downloadable owner's manual refers to the chassis manual quite a bit, however I haven't been able to find a copy on the Jayco website. Any clues as to where I can find one for the 2013 chassis?

Thanks

Chris
Here is an M2 Driver's manual, the cover several "versions" of our chassis but do help explain many of the features. I also attached the maintenance manual, again they cover different options.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf business class m2 driver's manual.pdf (2.52 MB, 8 views)
File Type: pdf business class m2 maintenance manual.pdf (2.71 MB, 9 views)
Old 04-15-2019, 07:31 PM   #12

Thanks Rob;
You've been a great help. I'll have a better understanding of what I'm looking at tomorrow.

Chris
Old 04-15-2019, 08:05 PM   #13

seneca ts

rvt.com 2018.5 7,000 mi, $155,000.00
tallcott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 03:41 PM   #14

Deal is dead!!!!

Well I didn't even bother going to the dealer. Seems they like to use NADA values, but then when converting to CAD, subtracting 32% instead of adding.

I didn't expect NADA values but was expecting somewhere around $100K-$120K USD converted as trade in value in CAD (its shown as between 111K and 134K USD for a 2008 HR Scepter 42PDQ). I would have accepted anything over $135 CAD.

They offered me $80K CAD to start or around $50K USD.
and wanted $147K CAD for the 2013 37TS. This would have cost me around $75K CAD for the difference including 13% taxes.

After I told the salesperson I wasn't interested and the manager called me back and offered $105 CAD (about $71K USD) and said the first offer was a mistake. I told him $105 CAD was still not good enough (still a $47K difference)

Thanks to all on the site that offered information and advice

Chris