Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-14-2015, 09:54 PM   #1

2014 Seneca AC issues

My rear air is blowing warm air. Is there a way to service thr AC units or do you have to replace?
Note: the front unit seams to work okay but is not enough to cool the entire coach.
Doormandan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 04:37 AM   #2

it should still be under warranty. I'm sure they are like any other a/c-heat pump unit.
Old 09-15-2015, 08:32 AM   #3

They are like any other AC/HP unit, but on a much smaller scale. Sometimes it will be cheaper to replace than repair, due to the labor. Sometimes refrigeration components in these units cannot be repaired.

Take advantage of your warranty if possible. If it is an electrical component failure, these can usually be repaired.

Can you hear the compressor operating, or just the fan blowing warm air? Or both?

2015 Jayco Greyhawk 31FS
Shakedown St. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 09:45 AM   #4

Could be as simple as a loose wire, bad thermostat, bad control box or even bad start capacitor. As Shakedown said refrigeration components are not really designed for repair/and or replacement.
Old 09-15-2015, 09:57 PM   #5

I bought the unit used with 8000 miles, it did come watch a 30 day warranty that has expired. The money I saved will more than cover a few issues like this.
Old 09-19-2015, 09:46 PM   #6

Doorman, if you post on IRV2, someone will help you self-diagnose. IF you want to replace it yourself literally they come off with 4 bolts and you can get a drop-in replacement. Hardest part is getting them on/off the roof. Without knowing the unit, total replacement costs $500-$750 and is a 20 minute job once the unit is on the roof. Dealers may charge upward of $250 to install and mark the unit up, so beware...
cb1000rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 06:35 PM   #7

I know this sounds silly, but did you make sure your control was set for AIR and not HEAT. My husband slipped and turned ours to the wrong setting once. We got warm air instead of cool. Lighting back there on the 37TS can be kind of dim.
Old 09-23-2015, 10:10 PM   #8

I double checked with only the rear AC on using the generator. It still is blowing warm air. I have been working 7 days a week so I have not had time to put a meater on it. I will let you know what I find.
Old 11-05-2015, 10:45 PM   #9

Update on the AC unit. It has leaked all the freon and oil out and is considered in repairable. I'm working with Colman on a replacement unit. It should be back on the road tomorrow.
Old 11-06-2015, 08:06 AM   #10
Lost in the Woods

To work on an A/C unit, one really needs to take a class so you can understand how an A/C works, what you can work on, and what you can't work on. My advice would have been to take it in and have it troubleshooted, which is what it looks like you did.

I'm qualified to work on A/C units, except for the refrigerant, but I would not attempt to walk someone through it over the internet.

In fact, I feel that way too many owners propagate the plug and play around process when I think owners should be encouraged to take some time to read their manuals first, and get some training on electrical and propane basics as a first step. Bfore taking an A/C class one needs some sound electrical skills and tools, and then needs to pick up more tools along the way. And then one is in a position to do their own troubleshooting should they choose to do so.

Going to another forum doesn't change anything.

But I'm sure my comments are more irritating than appreciated.
RodgerS is offline   Reply With Quote