Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-02-2015, 10:29 PM   #1

2014 Seneca master bedroom interior lights

Hi
Any one have any thoughts? This weekend my interior lights in the master bedroom quit working. It does not appear to be a fuse issue ( I checked each one). It looks like the wires run down into the lower exterior cabinet before they get to the power distribution board. I will trace them in the light tomorrow.

Assuming it's a standard 12 system there should be a ground and 12v+ at the switch. I have no power at the switch

The switch has continuity when on.

2014 Seneca 37TS.
Doormandan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 07:22 AM   #2
Lost in the Woods

The way you wrote this thread, it suggests you need to take a time out. With all due kindness and respect.

To diy, you need to plan on learning about electricity and how your three electrical systems work. Don't be in a hurry to just fix it, is my advice, which I'm sure is not generally accepted.

Initially, I would have suggested changing out the light bulb and with the switch on, checkin the light bulb fixture for power with a multimeter.

Checking each fuse was a waste of time. You only need to check the fuse for that circuit, and the outlets and loads on it. You should take the time to get the schematics and fuse location information, then mark the fuse box, and be sure you have some replacements handy.

You don't say how you checked the fuses so maybe you did not. I have read many threads that start this way and later it was a fuse or something simple. What the person said they do, was often done not correctly.

How did you check each fuse? That is important.

Plug in and play around, looking for quick fixes, ignoring this as an opportunity to gain a broader understanding of your systems and the fundamental of electricity/troubleshooting/and tools, is not a good way to maintain and repair your RV and I'm sure you did not intend to sound like that.

I like the Seneca. Good luck.
RodgerS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 08:16 AM   #3

Thanks for your condescending advice, a "time out" is exactly what the situation calls for. A wiring diagram would be nice. I did check each fuse with my Fluke meter because the bedroom lights are not listed on the panel. Since there is no power to 4 ceiling lights and 2 reading lights I assume it's a bad connection. As for a quick fix if its loose wire no issue but if it's a short it needs to be found and fixed.

Again thanks for your negative approach to a fellow RVer
Old 11-03-2015, 09:24 AM   #4

Send a message via Skype™ to ALJO
Did you check the switch at the door if it is on which control most of the lights?
Pro Series 1200 lbs. WDH with Double Sway Bar.
Champion 3100/2800 watt Inverter/Generator-Onboard Solar Power
ALJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 10:05 AM   #5

I did consider that to be a possibility but it only controls the main cabin lights. Tonight I'm going to trace the wires that drop into the exterior storage and see if I can find a loose connection.
Old 11-03-2015, 10:17 AM   #6
Lost in the Woods

How did you check the fuse? Did you pull it out and then do a continuity test? Or, did you check it in place? Don't check it in place using a continuity test, you can get false readings.

One tool you can use, with the fuse in place, is an automotive "ice pick" light. You can use it to test both sides of the fuse to see if there is voltage on both sides of the fuse.

Another way is to set up the multimeter as if it was an ice pick, with one lead grounded, then you can not only check for voltage, but also determine how much voltage is coming through. Be sure your multimeter can read 12vdc.

Visual checks are useful, but sometimes a fuse looks ok when it isn't.

Another excellent tool is a power probe (get version 3 or 4). It will actually allow you to put 12vdc voltage through a circuit to test the ground connection, etc. Very cool tool. (Almost Magical)

I'm not very word sensitive, so you can characterize my replies any way you want.
Old 11-04-2015, 08:16 AM   #7

First off thanks for everyone's comments and tool recommendations. After tracing the wires from the power distribution board into the exterior under chase storage and back up into the master bedroom slide I found the issue. It turned out to be the power wire was caught in the slide gear and was cut in two. Quick fix after the issue was located. I'm not sure why the factory did not do a better job with the wiring to prevent this issue.
Old 11-04-2015, 09:55 AM   #8
Site Team

Glad you found it and learned something about your rig in the process.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 11:09 AM   #9
Lost in the Woods

"I'm not sure why the factory did not do a better job with the wiring to prevent this issue."