Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-17-2016, 09:33 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSA376 View Post
That's exactly the same splice as my '14 37RB. Never was comfortable with it. So it seems the RB and FK had the splice and the TS and FS don't?
Looking at my 2014 brochure the TS and the FS both have a 275" wheelbase whereas the RB is 270-1/2" and the FK is 268-1/2". The listed overall length is also the same on the FS and TS and the other two are shorter. I wonder if they shortened the RB and FK frames versus stretching the others?

It seems like a lot of trouble to go through for the minimal difference in length. I wonder what caused them to go to that expense?
Toads: 2019 Ford Edge ST or 2013 Ford Focus ST
Robbbyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 09:49 PM   #22
Sam

LSA376. That's what I thought might be the case.
Rob, who knows?
Sam
Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 08:01 PM   #23

I know it has been a little while since any discussion on the frame modification issue, but I remembered we have a Freightliner sticker on the driver's side visor. It does specify what the truck's wheelbase was from the factory.

Mine as you can see is 275", exactly what the 2014 TS model was advertised by Jayco. But I wonder if there is a difference in the numbers on the models that appear to have the splice?
Attached Thumbnails
Visor information label.jpg  
Old 05-02-2016, 10:03 PM   #24
Sam

I knew the information was there because I have looked at the sticker some time ago, but I did not think about comparing the two.
Thanks for the information. Sam
Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 04:25 AM   #25

Hello Everybody,

Here is my 2016 FK wheelbase length. It's the same wheelbase as Rob's, I guess Jayco had a company shorten the frame. Not sure why.

Jim
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
jxn2083 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 12:31 PM   #26

2015 Seneca 37TS buy like new from non dealer and save $9000.00

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murraym View Post
Hello everyone. I am looking to get a 2016 Seneca 37FS. The 2016 I am looking at has air brakes, but I am finding that the 2015 has Power ABS Brakes. As I understand it, the air brakes are far superior, however, there is a new 2015 model year for sale in Texas for $149,995 vs the 2016 fo $164,995 at my local dealership. Can anyone with the 2015 with the Power Brakes advise if the air brakes are worth spending the extra money for the 2016? Also, I am having a hard time finding a comparison sheet from the 2015 to the 2016 model year to see what improvements were made if anyone could help with that I would appreciate it. Thanks in advance.
I have a 2015 37ts that you can buy and save a lot of money on. I just did a 4500 mile trip where I did have an emergency stop with a Dingy (no brakes on Dingy 97 wrangler.) I had no issue. The Seneca is a light coach for its size, maybe 23000 empty and 28000 fully loaded. I do not think that is out of the hydraulic brake range at all. I am the previous owner of many 50000 pound coaches that I do agree needed air brakes, but not my Seneca for my use.
My Craigs list ad where you can read about the coach and how you can save $9000 on your purchase by buying from a non dealer.
https://grandrapids.craigslist.org/rvs/5833770850.html
jdshep1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 12:55 PM   #27

Buying a RV from a dealer or from a private party?

Your next RV purchase could save you money if you do your homework
mine is for sale https://grandrapids.craigslist.org/rvs/5833770850.html

Do the members of this forum know if you buy a RV (Like a 2015 Seneca) from a private party (non dealer) any where and register in Illinois you pay just $25 tax at registration? Check it out ( New Lenox Currency Exchange (815) 485-0400)
If you have an Illinois address and register in Illinois you only have plate cost and a $25 fee based on coach weight.
Il DMV Fees
Call and ask do you have to pay any sales tax when you buy used from a private party (non dealer).
Dealers will not tell you about these kind of savings. Michigan does charge 6% sales tax where you buy if you want to register in Michigan. Illinois gives tax credit from first purchase when you trade up at a dealer. Example trade a $100k RV for a $110K RV at a dealer anywhere and illinois will want tax on $10K not $110K. Michigan does not care they want the $110K tax even if you do it next day and even if you buy from a private party. Lear plan your purchase and save. I have a business in Illinois and in Michigan. Michigan is better for just about everything, but not this.
This is not a scam, Illinois only wants you to have a Illinois address to register. Do not take my word on this check for yourself.
jdshep1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 06:37 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgolding View Post
We have the 2015 Freightliner with the 2016 Jayco cabin on our 37FS. We have been living in it, almost continuously since October of 2015. Very satisfied with braking capability with little over 10,000 miles and the truck cab seats are very comfortable.
Purchased ours from Evan at MH2GO in Grand Rapids, Michigan. I can't say enough about my satisfaction with this dealership. They've answered every question, handled every minor warranty claim that came with a new unit and have become good friends. Very pleased that we did our homework before the purchase and found the unit we wanted.
I have the same thing Ric, a 2015 Freightliner with the 2016 HJ. Kinda felt bamboosaled when I didn't have air ride seats and air ride all around. Found out later about the "real" 2016's. All's been good though. Don't know if it can ride any better for a truck.

2016 Seneca HJ
2004 Wrangler
Mountain Cajun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 06:54 PM   #29

I was told by someone, that there was some problems with the 2016 air ride seats and the new models are back to the non-air seats. For the life of me I can't remember where I heard or read that. Can anyone verify one way or another?

On the air brakes versus the drums, is there a licensing difference? I have the impression the air brakes require a license upgrade, CDL or non commercial equivalent. l've got the same license I've had since 1975. Had a CDL when I drove a dump truck on my first job, but nothing like that since.
2016 Jayco Seneca 37FS
2016 Chevrolet Traverse
2018 Cheverolet Silverado
rgolding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 07:11 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgolding View Post
I was told by someone, that there was some problems with the 2016 air ride seats and the new models are back to the non-air seats. For the life of me I can't remember where I heard or read that. Can anyone verify one way or another?

On the air brakes versus the drums, is there a licensing difference? I have the impression the air brakes require a license upgrade, CDL or non commercial equivalent. l've got the same license I've had since 1975. Had a CDL when I drove a dump truck on my first job, but nothing like that since.
Licensing depends on the particular state where you reside, but most states exempt non-commercial motorhomes from CDL licensing requirements, regardless of weight or if they have air brakes or not. I have read there are some states that do have stricter requirements, someone once linked a table that had all state's requirements.

Even though my '14 Seneca has hydraulic brakes (4-wheel discs) compared to the 4-wheel air drum brakes on newer Senecas, I will get back on my soapbox regarding air brakes as I have done previously. I strongly advise any person driving an air brake-equipped motorhome to get some basic training in how they work. They are different than traditional hydraulic brakes, and what you don't know may hurt you. Since generally a CDL is not required, that creates a knowledge "gap" normally bridged by CDL training and testing.
Old 11-01-2016, 12:40 PM   #31

Rob, I believe MOST states require at least a non-commercial CDL based on the vehicles GVWR and/or the weight towed...whether you have air brakes or not. The GVWR that you need a CDL is usually stated as over 26,000 lbs. I have a non-commercial class B.

According to the Texas Department of Public Safety (DPS), drivers whose motorhomes' GVWR exceeds 26,000 pounds should hold an exempt (noncommercial) Class B or Class A license. A Class B is required if the motorhome does not tow anything, or tows a trailer with a GVWR of 10,000 pounds or less. A Class A is required if the combined weight of the vehicle and any towed vehicle is more than 26,000 pounds and the towed vehicle has a GVWR greater than 10,000 pounds.

I do agree that air brake training/knowledge is necessary and if your coach has air brakes when you go for your driver's test, they will test your knowledge of the air brake system. One of the big differences is that if you lose air, the brakes lock up solid. On air brakes the air actually holds the brakes open so when you lose air you need to be pulling off the road ASAP. (Now you know why 18 wheelers leave those skids marks.)

2019 Renegade Valencia 38RW
Gone: 2015 Jayco Seneca / 2010 Tiffin RED / ...
Toads: 2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited / 2012 Kia Soul
WaltW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 01:31 PM   #32

Don't want to get into a battle but as I stated in prior post MOST states do not require a CDL for non-commercial use of an RV. See attached reference table: RV Driver's License Requirements
Old 11-01-2016, 01:37 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaltW View Post
I do agree that air brake training/knowledge is necessary and if your coach has air brakes when you go for your driver's test, they will test your knowledge of the air brake system. One of the big differences is that if you lose air, the brakes lock up solid. On air brakes the air actually holds the brakes open so when you lose air you need to be pulling off the road ASAP. (Now you know why 18 wheelers leave those skids marks.)
I absolutely agree about the training, but we also need to clarify that only axles equipped with spring parking brakes will apply when there is a loss of air. And for RV's that is only the rear axle brakes. Front brakes only take air to apply and have no "parking brake" functionality. So if you lose all air only the rear brakes will apply, NOT all 4. And at speed that may lock up the rear tires causing a loss of control and a crash.
Old 11-01-2016, 01:40 PM   #34

Quote:
It may seem like a small difference but when the co-pilot notices it, it matters. The larger window in 2016 results in smaller cabinet and the removal of "plate space" at the galley. DW is 5'5" and can't readily reach into the higher cabinets. Yep, know there is storage over TV in mine but with the big slide in you can't get to it.
EXACTLY... but was a BIG difference to us. That Cupboard was a dealbreaker for us. We love our 2015.
SloPoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 07:16 PM   #35

Yep, should have been specific about only rear brakes locking up.

I'm surprised at the numbers in your CDL table. Believed there was much more than that.

2019 Renegade Valencia 38RW
Gone: 2015 Jayco Seneca / 2010 Tiffin RED / ...
Toads: 2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited / 2012 Kia Soul
WaltW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 07:36 PM   #36

Quote:
I'm surprised at the numbers in your CDL table. Believed there was much more than that.
I actually wish there was a nationwide licensing standard required for the larger/heavier/air brake-equipped motorhomes, I think it would promote safety.

Prior to retirement from the fire department I can recall a couple of crashes we responded to where the driver had no business being behind the wheel of their large RV. Fortunately none resulted in death or serious injury per my recollection, but there was a lot of property loss.
Old 11-01-2016, 10:38 PM   #37

So my two cents...I just last weekend bought a 2016 37FS. There are a few things on the 16 that the 15 does not offer. Like its been said before, air brakes. Which I have to say I REALLY like. That sucker stops on a dime...WAY WAY better than my F-350 and 5th wheel. Now it could be good or bad, but the 16 comes with a induction cooktop vs the propane cooktop. I am kind of liking the cooktop. Some though want to stick with propane. The 16 is the only year that they went with the stock air ride seats. Even though they are not super plush ultra leather, they are VERY comfortable going down the road. The air ride makes it SO NICE to drive. Yes they did go to a full sheet of laminate on the floor, which makes it harder to fix if you get a tear, but not impossible to do. I did LOTS of research on that specific topic to make sure I could do it if my slide killed the floor. Now if you are looking at 16's I would highly recommend looking at build date. They made changes MID year to the coach. So the newer 16's have improvements that the earlier 16's did not. The BIG BIG difference is in the newer 16 builds is that they have the gen 3 tankless water heater. I made sure I found one that has this feature. It by itself is a game changer because instead of a constant flame which makes the water hotter if the flow is slower, the gen 3 allows you to set the temp which controls the flame to keep the temperature constant no matter what you are flowing. One of the other few things I noticed is that on the newer ones they put an outlet on the nightstand at the rear wall. I thought it was stupid that they have one near the bed where there is no nightstand and did not have one on the nightstand on the old ones. I was really glad they listened and made that improvement. I am sure they did some other stuff too, but I haven't found them all yet. Long story short is that if you want the plushy seats and can live with the gen 2 TWH, and hydro brakes then get the 15. If you want the 16, then make sure you find a newer one with the better features.
RyRoRyan is offline   Reply With Quote