Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-21-2018, 08:14 AM   #1

2015 Seneca 37TS Check engine lights

Could anyone tell me how to get a check engine light to go away? Originally two were on before I found the problem which was a DEF blue line off the DEF tank. replacing it and the one which said "check engine" went away. Both were continuous yellow. Thanks for any help.
Mark
PrairieWanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 08:02 PM   #2

You need to have a device that will read and output the malfunction codes. That will pinpoint the trouble so that it can be addressed.

I have a ScanGauge in my Seneca which allows me to view codes immediately. Without one yourself it might mean a trip to a facility able to access the Freightliner's data.
Toads: 2019 Ford Edge ST or 2013 Ford Focus ST
Robbbyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 08:36 PM   #3

Rob,
I did take it to Freightliner a week ago today for the problem I have. I had made an appointment the week before to have it addressed but when I showed up they were swamped and couldn't get it in. Service Manager did use his tablet and some kind of sensor under dash to diagnose that it was a DEF problem. Said he'd call me when shop had opening. Still waiting.
Old 05-21-2018, 08:43 PM   #4

The diagnostic connector is under the left side of the dash, that is where they plug in to access the truck's network. It also is where a ScanGauge plugs in since it communicates directly with the data network.

Bummer Freightliner was so busy and you couldn't get your issue fixed immediately. Hopefully it can be addressed very soon.
Old 05-21-2018, 08:53 PM   #5

You can also look many of the codes up by using the trip reset button. This is not as in-depth as the scan gauge or the readers that freightliner will have but you can the search the web for the code translation. I believe the service manual explains the process, I use scan gauge so I no longer use the dash information.

Some codes are specific to Cummins and some are related the emissions and depending on the service location, once you have the code you might find you need to go to Cummins dealer not freightliner.
RVermont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 09:39 PM   #6

Hopefully I can get to the bottom of this check engine light problem. I'm sure it was caused by the blue DEF line coming off. I had put the Seneca away late last fall and had been starting the motors every so often this winter. No warning lights then. Just showed up about 2 1/2 weeks ago when I had to move it out of the shed to get some equipment out. if I don't hear from Freightliner soon i'll have to contact them again. Thanks for the replys. Mark
Old 05-21-2018, 10:00 PM   #7

If the DEF issue was fixed it might just be keeping the code stored. You might try disconnecting the chassis battery for 10-15 minutes and then connect again, sometime this will reset a code that is not an ongoing issue.

I would be a little upset with the dealer if I had made an appointment to bring the unit in and was told they were to busy, that’s what an appointment is for, reserving your time slot.

Rustynuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 07:42 PM   #8

Thanks Rustynuts for the battery tip. It went away after disconnecting them. Accessing the batteries through the steps also gave me a clearer view of the 2 blue DEF heater lines which I had 1 off earlier. Looks like a little white retainer strap is missing on the loose one as I was able to see the intact one had it. Kinda looks like a small zip tie. Thanks again!
Old 05-22-2018, 09:23 PM   #9

Glad it worked out for you. If the light comes back, then you should have it scanned to see what it is.

Rustynuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2021, 02:15 PM   #10

Hi Robby. We have an error code 4_3.2 when we turn the key on it no information on the Diag. It displays 0. We had this problem once before and I had to disconnect the battery to clear the code. The code is back a few 1000 miles down the road.

It was at Freightliner for a different issue not too long ago. Some wires were rubbing in the main harness which they fixed.

Any ideas?

What model is your Scan Guage?
Katwhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2021, 06:27 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katwhi View Post
Hi Robby. We have an error code 4_3.2 when we turn the key on it no information on the Diag. It displays 0. We had this problem once before and I had to disconnect the battery to clear the code. The code is back a few 1000 miles down the road.

It was at Freightliner for a different issue not too long ago. Some wires were rubbing in the main harness which they fixed.

Any ideas?

What model is your Scan Guage?
My ScanGauge display is the regular "D" model but my understanding is that different years have different connectors to the diagnostic port. And mine is a 2014 but I have no idea when they changed to a different cable. There probably is a way to read out the software level in the display but I haven't ever really noticed or tried.

I get that same readout in my dash at times but I never get a corresponding error in my ScanGauge. I was told once it was the dash software version and not a true error.
Old 07-25-2021, 09:09 AM   #12

Thanks Robby.
Katwhi is offline   Reply With Quote