Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-29-2015, 09:23 PM   #1

2015 Seneca Inverter Question

Hey Folks

Does the inverter power the ground fault circuit? Mine does not. Just need to be sure before I take it yo the shop

Thanks!
Raymoe
raymoe3641 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 04:26 AM   #2

No. Only micro & TVs.
Old 09-30-2015, 09:14 AM   #3
Lost in the Woods

While we are on the subject, does your stock inverter have a charging module?
Is there a stock converter?
As to both the converter and the charging inverter module, if there is one, how many phases or steps to they have?

My assumption is they are the basic junk converters and inverters than get the Seneca out the mfg door and they have to be upgraded.
RodgerS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 10:26 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodgerS View Post
While we are on the subject, does your stock inverter have a charging module?
Is there a stock converter?
As to both the converter and the charging inverter module, if there is one, how many phases or steps to they have?

My assumption is they are the basic junk converters and inverters than get the Seneca out the mfg door and they have to be upgraded.
Actually, unless they've made "major" changes which I doubt the SENECAs come with the Xantrex Pro-sine 1800 Inverter and the Progressive Dynamics 9200 converter/charger or the 4500 Power center with converter charger and they both have the built in charge wizard. They SENECA also has the circuitry to charge the chassis batteries when on shore power.
Old 09-30-2015, 10:59 AM   #5

Thanks folks! I wish there was a way to power both circuits. The outside tv is powered by the ground fault circuit. Sucks when your boondocking and the weather is nice enough to shut the generator down for a bit! The outlet OVER the sink is too, which is odd. I realize something plugged in could be knocked into the sink but this area stays covered most of the time unlike the vanity sink. I read that inverters don't like some GFCI's and maybe Jayco used those.
Old 09-30-2015, 11:06 AM   #6
Lost in the Woods

Ray, I'm confused. Basically, GFCIs themselves are not problematical and inverters have no personal feelings. When the GFCIs trip it is for a reason.

So, are you saying that circuit the tv is on and the sink is on is powered only by the generator or shore power? And that circuit receives no power from the inverter?

Seems like a simple rewiring issue, as long as the inverter is good enough and your batteries are sufficient and be sure to be able to isolate your alternative power sources from each other. I would be thinking along the lines of solar, better and more batteries, etc.

There are tvs that are powered by 12vdc.

My guess is that if your focus is on dry camping, you really need to get deeper into all the changes you need to make that work better. I don't believe for a moment that the Seneca was designed other than with an rv park in mind, but as Walt said may be an excellent platform to upgrade for dry camping. I think I read where some have added an extra water tank.
RodgerS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 12:21 PM   #7

RogerS that is correct. No inverter power at all to the ground fault circuit and unfortunately the outlet over the sink is the only outlet to power anything at the sink/stove area. Currently I run an extension cord from the bedroom to that area.

I found the installation and operator manual for the inverter. I does list makes of GFCI's that it will work with. I will investigate further and get power to the GF circuit, one way or another!!
Old 09-30-2015, 01:27 PM   #8

It's not that easy since there is probably a split bus in the circuit panel, one specifically for the Inverter. Power goes from the circuit panel to the Inverter, then back to the Inverter side of the circuit breaker panel and then to the two circuits involved. Micro and TV. I doubt there is enough room to "re-wire" the other circuits as suggested.

If you move the circuits around you will probably "overload" the internal transfer switch and secondary breaker in the Inverter. It is only rated for a total load of 1800 watts at any one time.
Old 09-30-2015, 01:43 PM   #9

Thanks Grumpy

I looked at the panels and it wouldn't be hard to move the ground fault circuit over to the dedicated inverter panel. We never use the micro to cook with when dry camping unless the generator is running. The only real load the inverter would ever see is the coffee pot or the hair dryer which we would take care not to run at the same time.
Old 09-30-2015, 02:40 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by raymoe3641 View Post
Thanks Grumpy

I looked at the panels and it wouldn't be hard to move the ground fault circuit over to the dedicated inverter panel. We never use the micro to cook with when dry camping unless the generator is running. The only real load the inverter would ever see is the coffee pot or the hair dryer which we would take care not to run at the same time.
Then you should be fine.
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 05:24 PM   #11

10-4! Thanks again Grumpy!!
Old 05-20-2016, 09:48 AM   #12

Did you ever do this? How much of a chore was it? I'm thinking of doing the same thing. I cannot understand why I have such a beefy inverter and it's only able to run TVs and a microwave? I guess there's some people out there that would try to make a pot of coffee, microwave a hot pocket while drying their hair????
Old 05-20-2016, 09:53 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by memphis02 View Post
Did you ever do this? How much of a chore was it? I'm thinking of doing the same thing. I cannot understand why I have such a beefy inverter and it's only able to run TVs and a microwave? I guess there's some people out there that would try to make a pot of coffee, microwave a hot pocket while drying their hair????
It's not the limit of the inverter, its the limit on the battery.

Check with the solar folks about how much total power you can pack into the battery. Or how much battery it takes to dry hair, make a pot of coffee, or zap a hot pocket.

Sitting in The Cheap Seats.
And proud of it!
mike837go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 10:24 AM   #14

Having a 5kw solar array on my home, I completely understand what you're saying about power density. I guess I just don't understand why the inverter would power something as trivial as the TV and not give me a convenient outlet to use to charge my laptop or run a small appliance. If I were dry camping, I would not be making hot pockets or be concerned with drying my hair nor would I be watching the boob tube.
Old 05-20-2016, 08:22 PM   #15

Inverter power

What I ended up doing was buying a surge protector that has built in usb chargers. It sits upright and is square so that it does not take up any space. I put it in the corner under the microwave and ran the cord up behind the microwave (in the corner) to the outlet the microwave plugs into (in cabinet above microwave). Now I have inverter power in a central location in easy reach.

I took the power cord for the outside tv and routed it so that it is accessible from inside the cabinet under the sinks. A small extension cord is plugged into the new surge protector when boondocked.

I went this route so that I didn't short anything out tying two circuits together.
Old 05-22-2016, 06:51 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by raymoe3641 View Post
What I ended up doing was buying a surge protector that has built in usb chargers. It sits upright and is square so that it does not take up any space. I put it in the corner under the microwave and ran the cord up behind the microwave (in the corner) to the outlet the microwave plugs into (in cabinet above microwave). Now I have inverter power in a central location in easy reach.

I took the power cord for the outside tv and routed it so that it is accessible from inside the cabinet under the sinks. A small extension cord is plugged into the new surge protector when boondocked.

I went this route so that I didn't short anything out tying two circuits together.
Awesome Idea! Thanks!