Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-21-2015, 05:39 PM   #1

2015 Seneca problems

This thing is about to wear me out. This is the second trip in two months and we have had nothing but problems. I'm about ready to take it back to the dealer and tell them they can keep it. It was at the dealer for over a month last time. This trip a whole new set of problems.
:slide drags coming in and going out, last trip I had to help push it in each time
: fridge won't run on propane. Keeps giving me a lo doc message. Battery is full
: biggest issue now is the transfer switch is out. I can't use shore power
: Bigfoot leveler so continue to be a problem. They won't level the coach. Right
Won't go all the way down.

Good news is I love the freightliner chassis. 8.5 to 9.5 mpg plenty of power in the mountains. Build quality is terrible and my dealer couldn't fix a box.
seneca37rb15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 07:49 PM   #2

I'm with you only my issues are mostly small annoyances vs the more major issues you have. Good luck getting them fixed. I am going to do the last couple of trips and then return to the dealer so I am not impacted by their repair time!
Old 09-22-2015, 10:03 AM   #3

I too have had my share of frustrations with the Seneca, fortunately things are looking up. What I have realized is the majority of dealers do not have the technicians to perform repairs correctly. Think about this, most dealers sell and rep many different brands and models, most do not sell the Seneca let alone work on them.

After having my Seneca sit at a dealership for 3.5 months only to have many of the items untouched or fixed with substandard repairs I got Jayco involved.

Last week I drove from CA to the factory in Indiana to have everything resolved. Yes it's a long drive to get the rig to Indiana but at least now the company who built it is repairing it. The team in Middlebury is great and I feel confident all will be resolved.

I had to keep reminding myself, Jayco doesn't build the appliances or accessories and failure of those ancillary devices are not the fault of Jayco. Fortunately they have a 2-year warranty on everything. My neighbor just purchased a 2016 Bounder that is riddled with issues and has been back to the dealer twice in 3-months of ownership. He has a 1-year warranty...

Good luck with getting it all resolved, the M2 chassis is great as this is the best RV I have driven over the past 20-years of RV-ing.
LSA376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 10:38 AM   #4

Wow! Good luck. We had some minor issues and the dealer was a waste of time. Took it back to Middlebury and everything was fixed promptly.
Mr.Oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 11:37 AM   #5

We too have had our share of problems with our 2015 Seneca 37TS. We are waiting to here back from Jayco for an appointment date to bring it in to get it right. We made an appointment at a Jayco dealer while on our trip to get a slide adjusted but they took a look and said they couldn't do it so hopefully the factory can.
PrairieWanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 12:05 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSA376 View Post

After having my Seneca sit at a dealership for 3.5 months only to have many of the items untouched or fixed with substandard repairs I got Jayco involved.

Last week I drove from CA to the factory in Indiana to have everything resolved. Yes it's a long drive to get the rig to Indiana but at least now the company who built it is repairing it. The team in Middlebury is great and I feel confident all will be resolved.
Will Jayco compensate you at all for travel expenses to/from the factory because of an inept local dealer network (specifically pertaining to the Seneca) ??

Seems to me that if they allow (or encourage) a dealer to sell the units (Seneca's) then said dealer should be able to fix them. If they can't and Jayco suggest or recommends that you bring it back to the factory for repair do they offer some compensation (however small) for travel costs etc. to get it there ??

Visited in our 2011 Greyhawk 31DS
busguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 04:48 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Oz View Post
Wow! Good luck. We had some minor issues and the dealer was a waste of time. Took it back to Middlebury and everything was fixed promptly.
The dealer I purchased from bills themselves as the largest Jayco dealer in the south. You would think they could handle whatever issues I have. The last time we were there I complained about some of the previous issues not getting resolved. The service manager told me next time he would put one of his competent techs on our motorhome. My response was, seriously you let some incompetent moron try to fix my stuff. He said that was why he was no longer with them. If I have to take it back to Jayco I guess that is what we will do. Most all of my issues are with third party vendor equipment.
Old 09-22-2015, 06:08 PM   #8

I work as an engineering manager. In this role we use suppliers to develop and provide components which integrate into bigger equipment, just like is done for the Seneca. Jayco is the system integrator. They are responsible for providing performance specs to their suppliers and then make sure the incoming product meets that spec. If suppliers cannot meet quality levels, they need to get rid of them. We need to hold jayco accountable.

By the way. I love my jayco and am very happy with my dealer, fretz enterprises
Bucko06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 08:16 PM   #9

I suggest we break all our problems into lists or separate threads and maybe find some answers. For example the fridge not running on LP. It is a bit tough but you have to purge the line every time you shut off the propane to the fridge. The closest appliance is to light the burners on the stove top let them burn a couple of minutes. The fridge may still take 4 or 5 cycles to finally light but it will switch back and forth from AC to LP as the generator starts and stops.
Maybe we could title all our posts with " Seneca Issue ..."
Old skipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 08:24 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old skipper View Post
I suggest we break all our problems into lists or separate threads and maybe find some answers. For example the fridge not running on LP. It is a bit tough but you have to purge the line every time you shut off the propane to the fridge. The closest appliance is to light the burners on the stove top let them burn a couple of minutes. The fridge may still take 4 or 5 cycles to finally light but it will switch back and forth from AC to LP as the generator starts and stops.
Maybe we could title all our posts with " Seneca Issue ..."
My fridge will light and run on propane fine, it just gives me a "lo dc" message after a couple of hours. I think I have a defective control board.
I do like the idea of a thread for issues. So far we have replaced an AC, worked on levelers twice, slide twice, fridge once, slide toppers, and now a transfer switch. That's just the big stuff. Lot of small Jayco QC things.
Old 09-30-2015, 07:44 PM   #11

We have a 2015 FK. We've had a couple of relatively minor problems, but it sounds like we've been pretty lucky overall. Our two biggest problems were a misaligned slide (dragging on the floor, and pulled the "sweeper" seal through to the outside when it opened once), and a bad high-temp limit switch on the fridge (coach is in the shop now for that one). Our service experience with the local Jayco dealer has been really good. We have a list of items to be fixed at the end of the season this year - again, all are minor things.

I've also found that Jayco is very willing to work with you if there is something wrong that you can fix yourself. One of the LED's went out in our outside TV - I called Jayco, e-mailed a picture, and had a new TV shipped out the next day. All I had to do is put the broken TV in the box and leave it on the porch for UPS.

We love the Seneca and are very happy with our decision to purchase. I hope you can get your issues worked out soon!
2014 Honda CR-V toad

anav8or is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 07:22 PM   #12

Took us two good trips back for fixes but now everything seems to be working just fine. Our biggest issue was ripples in the flooring, seemed to get worse n first good road trip. Jayco replaced the whole floor from front to back. Dealer said the floor had not been prepared properly before the flooring went down. Now to get some rebuilding fished at work and off we go again.
Old 10-01-2015, 08:32 PM   #13
Lost in the Woods

I think this is not a Jayco problem, but really more an industry problem, and an owner knowledge/management problem, and I mean no insult by that.

I have been retired for almost two years and spent a large chunk of that training as an rv service technician and inspector. I have 3 months of full time hands on experience with a local rv rental company, about 3 weeks as service advisor for a premium trailer outlet, and now limit myself to contracted work as an extended warranty inspector. My focus was not working for them, as a tech or SA, but learning for myself. When I got bored I left.

Getting warranty, repair, or maintenance work out of any dealer can be a very tough and troublesome experience. The back logs are terrible, most technicians lack formal training, and often come from none rv service backgrounds/experience. If they are lucky they might have one good technician in the bunch, if he hasn't moved on to a "better" dealership. I'm again talking industry wide, not Jayco.

For example, for a technician to be able to repair a slide out, you really have to attend a slide out class that is specific for that slide, yet a lot of technicians will try to wing it if they can.

The service advisors are critical and you need to develop a good working relationship with them, but you really have to understand the process. They are backlogged, still don't pay their technicians well, and often there is just one really good technician among them and some refuse to go to classes, often having to travel to the mfg and the dealership may be not be willing to pay for the time, travel, and training.

Quality of mfg workmanship, industry wide, is horrible and the dealers really are focused on sales, not on repair and maintenance. Yet some are good, but you have to know enough to be able to talk their lingo, understand the bottlenecks, and get things in writing. And really, if you can find a way to do the work yourself, warranty or not, you are often better off.

I'm a big advocate of improving ones diy skills and attitudes. Owners should be able to do 80% of the work themselves. And there are some great diy manuals for motorhomes as well. And many of these issues have nothing to do with the mfg. An Atwood water heater is not made by Jayco.

The biggest key is learning to do your own inspections when buying used or your own detailed PDI if buying new. If buying new, develop a detailed pick list and refuse to take possession of the MH until all of it is fixed...that is where your leverage is...when you leave your leverage is gone for many dealerships. Work those slides many times right there at their lot over several days, as an example.

Never take a reply at its face, ask followup questions and be skeptical. Get ALL, ALL promises in writing be it a deal or a service request. And then send them a confirmation in writing and include penalties for non-performance, like paying your hotel bills.
RodgerS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 10:15 PM   #14

Has anyone had problems with the airbags not inflating on the suspension? This problem appeared this week as we are traveling from Alaska. Called a Freightliner dealer in British Columbia where we were camped and they were to busy for days to look at it. They suggested I check linkage from valves to rear axle but that looked good. 2015 Seneca-appreciate any ideas
Old 10-02-2015, 06:38 AM   #15

As the owner of a 2014 TS I watch the forums pretty closely and I cannot recall any discussions on rear air suspension failing to fill at all. Some owners have reported issues with them leaking down rather quickly when shut off (mine included); some have discussed a consistent "lean" which required an adjustment by Freightliner; and lastly, a tendency for our coaches to try to roll forward when coming down off the levelers that has been attributed to the peculiarities of our rear "Airliner" suspension. I use heavy rubber wheel chocks on my front tires when set up to reduce the chances of the jacks actually sliding forward as they retract.

When you do get resolution please post back and let us know what was discovered. It may greatly help another Seneca owner!
Robbbyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 09:48 AM   #16

Robbbyr,
Thanks for your reply. I will let everyone know when I get it resolved.
Mark