Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-02-2022, 07:17 AM   #1

2016 Jayco Seneca slide issue

Hi I'm new to the forum and new to the Jayco line. I've had a couple of class A and the small super C from thor on the ford 550 chassis, now finally moved up to the real Super C. I purchased the 2016 from a private party and he told me he had issues with both slides but recently had it serviced at the jayco dealer and went in and out great when we looked at it in his yard. We got it home and the first time we put the slides out the front slide would not go back in. Called the guy we bought it from and he told me to switch the 2 wires on the motor and the it went in just fine at least. Now anyone can help me find the solution? Is there a solenoid somewhere, or a bad switch, or faulty motor? Just wondering where to start? Any help very appreciated, thanks
Kbraun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2022, 08:50 AM   #2

There are control boards normally located under the bedroom cabinets or under the bed. A couple of questions that will help you get a more detailed response. What model of Seneca do you have and is it the slide with the dinette in it? Once you post that someone should be able to tell you exactly where the unit is located.
RVermont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2022, 11:30 AM   #3

it is a 2016 seneca 37fs bunk model. And it is the front drivers side with the dinette and sofa. The motor is visible in the basement door and that is where I switched the black and red wire to get it to close.
Old 05-02-2022, 11:49 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kbraun View Post
it is a 2016 seneca 37fs bunk model. And it is the front drivers side with the dinette and sofa. The motor is visible in the basement door and that is where I switched the black and red wire to get it to close.
After you switched the wires, does it go out now?
A pic of the motor would help.
Old 05-02-2022, 01:50 PM   #5

I have attached a photo of the controller used in my 18 37ts. Since you bed is located where my cabinets are I would start under the bed. It might be enclosed behind some panels. If not there then look under the washer dryer compartment which is just forward of your bed. You might have to removed the drawers if there are any and see if it is located around there. Search in the area that your fuses and circuit breaker box is located. It does sound like you have an issue with the controller. the controller reverses which leg is positive and which is negative and it monitors amperage to determine when the motor has hit a stop point which causes the board to shut off power to motor.
Attached Thumbnails
941914BC-DE76-46B2-90B4-874C3ED7F396.jpg  
Old 05-02-2022, 03:53 PM   #6

Thanks so much, I did find the controller under the rear bed near the fuse panel. It looks a little different than the one pictured, but it has 2 relays and a single round fuse on the top of it. I unplugged it and plugged it back in and now it works. I think I will try to get the part number for it and order a new one and use the old one for a spare. Also, another question is the owner's manual says to leave the engine run when lowering the jacks, the previous owner said he shut it off, I tried with it running and they won't go down, only go up and down with engine off. Is that something I need to look into, or is that the way it's supposed to be, and the manual is wrong? Thanks, again for your help.
Old 05-02-2022, 03:58 PM   #7

Thumbs up

I just looked a little closer at your picture and that is the same as mine, your wires are covering up your relays.
Old 05-02-2022, 06:18 PM   #8

The nice thing about this system is, one motor, no bs synching 2 motors with tiny wiring. Heavy duty wiring and if need be just apply 12 volts to wires whichever way you need to move slide. Also taking the brake off and bringing it in with a socket is pretty easy. It appears one of your relays was not working on your control. Sometimes just tapping them will fix them.
Old 05-02-2022, 06:25 PM   #9

You should not be able to lower the jacks with the engine running. You also should not be able to work the slides or the awning. You can raise the jacks if you put it in drive/ release parking brake but I would not recommend that. Good luck getting it resolved at least you know what to work with.
Old 05-02-2022, 07:26 PM   #10

Thanks again to all, as I said I am new to this jayco site, and it has been extremely helpful. Looks like I will be a regular viewer.
Old 05-02-2022, 07:31 PM   #11

Quote:
Hi I'm new to the forum and new to the Jayco line. I've had a couple of class A and the small super C from thor on the ford 550 chassis, now finally moved up to the real Super C. I purchased the 2016 from a private party
Welcome to the Seneca Family... and welcome to the M2 Chassis family. We have a 2015 Seneca FK and have had our share of minor issues with the Slides. The controller is a common part, to many of our PowerGear equipped slides, I have had to swap the two plugs on mine to get the slide in/out a couple of times... I tossed a spare in that compartment (flopping around) for the next time it happens.

Quote:
I did find the controller under the rear bed near the fuse panel. It looks a little different than the one pictured, but it has 2 relays and a single round fuse on the top of it. I unplugged it and plugged it back in and now it works. I think I will try to get the part number for it and order a new one and use the old one for a spare. Also, another question is the owner's manual says to leave the engine run when lowering the jacks, the previous owner said he shut it off, I tried with it running and they won't go down, only go up and down with engine off.
Sometimes that Fuse is the problem, sometimes the relay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVermont View Post
You should not be able to lower the jacks with the engine running. You also should not be able to work the slides or the awning. You can raise the jacks if you put it in drive/ release parking brake but I would not recommend that. Good luck getting it resolved at least you know what to work with.
Our Equalizer jacks only will level the rig when the engine is off and the Parking Brake is engaged. I suggest that before you retract the levelers, you start the engine and allow the air system to pressurize so that the air suspension does not bottom out.
07 Toyota FJC & Yamaha Kodiak 400 ATV

SloPoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2022, 07:33 PM   #12

Thanks, good idea, will do
Old 09-25-2022, 10:11 AM   #13

We have a 2016 HJ model and had the same type of problem with the main slide.
The delaer and the independent repair shop threw up their hands in the end after replacing the main slide motor. I resorted to my own fix based on my work as an electrican. Checked the votage and amperage draw at the motor and found that the voltage at the motor was only 11.5V and the draw was over 25 A which caused the termal overload to kick the motor off. Voltage drop due to small size supply wire. Got tired of using a large crescent wrench to move the slide in the first two inches. Moved the controller to the top of the bin beside the motor and ran 00 cable to the input terminals of the inverter, which is next to the battery compartment. Had to run two new control wires from the relocated controller to the control switch. Not a simple fix but it has worked great for two years now. I have met other Senaca owners who have not had a problem with their main slide motor kick out. Maybe our unit is an outlier but I knowm this fix will work.
matthewphilippe is offline   Reply With Quote