Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-31-2018, 09:10 AM   #21

I have a question that's related to this issue I think. I got a error code telling me my batteries were low. When I checked them I saw all four hold down straps were off, one was missing. It appears that my batteries boiled and it appears that they got hot enough to melt the plastic connectors on the battery straps They look melted. Checking my batteries they were all low and I ended up adding almost a gallon of distilled water. I bought my Seneca last November new and have only used it once, is a 37rb. It sits in storage not plugged in. I know the dealer had my unit about a year and added about a 1000 miles to it. It's possible they had it plugged in long term but not me. I also believe the batteries were never checked prior to delivery to me. Could this be the invertor overcharging the batteries? could it be a short in the system. Any and all ideas would be helpful. Thanks
whporwil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 04:59 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by whporwil View Post
I have a question that's related to this issue I think. I got a error code telling me my batteries were low. When I checked them I saw all four hold down straps were off, one was missing. It appears that my batteries boiled and it appears that they got hot enough to melt the plastic connectors on the battery straps They look melted. Checking my batteries they were all low and I ended up adding almost a gallon of distilled water. I bought my Seneca last November new and have only used it once, is a 37rb. It sits in storage not plugged in. I know the dealer had my unit about a year and added about a 1000 miles to it. It's possible they had it plugged in long term but not me. I also believe the batteries were never checked prior to delivery to me. Could this be the invertor overcharging the batteries? could it be a short in the system. Any and all ideas would be helpful. Thanks
If the batteries were that low on water and got hot enough to melt the strap connectors my guess that at least some of the batteries are probably irreparably damaged.

Now why they boiled is the big question. Unless Jayco changed things on newer Senecas the converter that is part of your load center is responsible for charging the batteries when plugged into shore power or if the generator is running. The inverter takes 12-volt battery power and converts it to 120-volts AC for use by certain circuits in our Senecas like the microwave and televisions when we are not plugged in or running the generator. If the converter is defective it could certainly overcharge the batteries. The chassis engine's alternator can also charge the batteries when the truck engine is running, but if the alternator was severely overcharging your chassis batteries would also likely show damage.

When my Seneca was new I also purchased a unit that had been on the lot for some time, but it was in Michigan. My coach batteries also prematurely died, but I have always suspected they went dead from just sitting on the lot and then froze over the winter. A year into ownership I had one battery that would overheat and consume water despite my converter (and truck alternator) charging properly. It would even drain power from the other 3 batteries and be hot to the touch just sitting there! Is there any chance your unit was somewhere where the batteries could have frozen?

Are you still in warranty? If so I would suggest a visit to the dealer to have them check the batteries and the charging system(s). If they want to just swap one battery, make a fuss that you want them all swapped out so they are all the same approximate age. It is not difficult for a decent technician to check the charging voltage of the converter and the engine alternator.

If the batteries do need replaced and if the dealer and Jayco are willing to work with you, perhaps you can convince them to supply 4, 6-volt deep-cycle batteries instead of the less-than-stellar 12-volt "hybrid" or "marine" batteries. Hybrid/marine batteries are not ideal as coach batteries in our units. If you had to pay some towards this upgrade it would be worth it in my opinion for the long-term lifespan of your battery bank.
Toads: 2019 Ford Edge ST or 2013 Ford Focus ST
Robbbyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 06:57 PM   #23

Thanks for your wisdom. My camper was purchased in Mesa, Arizona so freezing is probably not the answer. I live in the RGV in south Texas and the nearest dealer is 7 hour drive and not able to work on it until late May or Early June. I'm hopping Jayco will agree to allowing a service teck to do the repairs.
whporwil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 07:16 PM   #24

I think you will have a good chance of them authorizing local service. Let us know how things turn out.
Toads: 2019 Ford Edge ST or 2013 Ford Focus ST
Robbbyr is offline   Reply With Quote