Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-17-2019, 06:25 PM   #1

2016 Seneca jackknife sofa removal

Just received recliners from Recpro to replace jackknife sofa and dinette. Has anyone removed the sofa from their Seneca, and will it fit through the door without having to take the sofa/sleeper apart? Any help is appreciated. Thanks
Joe1mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 07:03 PM   #2

Oh my... You have a project on your hands!

I have not taken ours out, but have pulled the cushions and drawers out to see how it is put together while repairing the broken drawer catch. I'm betting it was installed in the slide, before they installed the slide in the Seneca.

I would imagine that you are going to have to take it apart to get it out the door. I know that there is a thread on this forum about how a dealer had to remove the dining room window, to R/R a replacement refrigerator. That might be an option if it does not come apart.
07 Toyota FJC & Yamaha Kodiak 400 ATV

SloPoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 07:31 PM   #3

I havent looked at one but it would all depend on if you wanted to salvage the old couch.....anything can come apart enough to get it out with a Sawzall. Most of the RV recliners will fit through the doors but it may be tight. I did this in our old Winnebago and I suggest taping cardboard up the sides of the door frames, this will give you a smooth surface to slide the parts out and new one in without anything to get snagged on.

Rustynuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 08:26 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloPoke View Post
Oh my... You have a project on your hands!

I have not taken ours out, but have pulled the cushions and drawers out to see how it is put together while repairing the broken drawer catch. I'm betting it was installed in the slide, before they installed the slide in the Seneca.

I would imagine that you are going to have to take it apart to get it out the door. I know that there is a thread on this forum about how a dealer had to remove the dining room window, to R/R a replacement refrigerator. That might be an option if it does not come apart.
Yup, my window and refrigerator.
Attached Thumbnails
C8CF7456-722A-4CF0-95B7-CB763C946AF8.jpg   A7B30252-DA5A-483D-9320-6FA97EFFBE4C.jpg  
Mark S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 08:57 PM   #5

It's always fun to take things apart to see how there made. Once you determine how big an opening you need you'll know your answer. I just put a residential fridge in my Seneca by removing the door and the frame around it. This left me with a 1/2 inch to spare. Removing the window may have been easier but that window is at least 7 feet up in the air and I didn't have a fork lift, just two old guys. It took a couple of hours to get ready to do 10 minutes of work. Laying a couple of 2x4's on the steps allowed us to slide the old one out and the new one in.
whporwil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 09:21 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S View Post
Yup, my window and refrigerator.
I thought it was yours....I tried to find it, but in the end, was just too darn lazy to keep entering a bunch of searches for that thread.. Instead, I was celebrating the RAIN... it was not snowing.
07 Toyota FJC & Yamaha Kodiak 400 ATV

SloPoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 03:34 AM   #7

I would think that if you turn the unit into the bed configuration it should fit. The panel below the seat cushion is a false panel and just pops off. With the unit flat you only have to worry about the arms. You might have to step some reinforcement to keep the bed flat. If you have someone with s pickup truck I would back the truck bed to the door to reduce the added problem of the steps
RVermont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 03:00 PM   #8

Passenger side couch

I am looking to remove the passenger side couch (never used) this summer and replace with cabinets and maybe an electric fireplace like almost every other floor plan has.

Steve, we have over a foot of snow here and with 20’s/0 temps it’s not going anywhere!
Old 01-20-2019, 04:41 PM   #9

An idea

This was my plan!
Attached Thumbnails
91124664-CE4A-4E11-88CA-0367038C5584.jpg  
Old 02-09-2019, 04:07 PM   #10

Joe1mc, any luck with removing your jackknife sofa? Looking to do the same to my 2018 seneca.
Randyeng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 01:41 PM   #11

Changed mine out to sofa sleeper. Backed truck up to door and worked out I believe standing up. It went out door just have to have assistance to handle.
Kerwin1959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 02:36 PM   #12

Thanks Kerwin1959, that is what was thinking. From my measurements, it appears i should be able to work the sofa sleeper out, and replace with 2 euro recliners from either Thomas Payne or RecPro. Wife hasn't decided on which one.
Old 02-12-2019, 12:16 PM   #13

Removed jackknife sofa

Pretty easy disassembly, just make sure you have another person to help you maneuver through the door.
Old 02-12-2019, 01:16 PM   #14

Thanks. did you have to take the sofa apart? I have a sleeper sofa. Just wondering if I would need to take the sleeper part off first.
Old 02-12-2019, 03:30 PM   #15

If you have the sofa with the dinette that has the outlet mounted low on your rear facing bench you may have a junction box and a wire running from the front of our campers behind your couch, we did. We removed our dinette and changed the outlet to a better spot. The wire should be easy enough to hide. Just saying.
whporwil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 07:29 PM   #16

Thanks whpowil for the heads up. May have to reroute as you stated.
Old 02-13-2019, 01:51 PM   #17

Jackknife

Had to disconnect sleeper from right and left arms, removed from coach then pulled sofa away from the wall, then unbolted sofa arms from back support, removed everything from the coach and reassembled to make ready for sale on Craigslist. Took about an hour with help from my wife, especially maneuvering items through the door.
Old 02-13-2019, 02:07 PM   #18

Thanks Joe1mc, that is what i needed to know. Wife is ready so here we go.
did you advise of what recliners you went with?