Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Go Back   Jayco RV Owners Forum > Trailers, 5th Wheels, and Motorhomes > Jayco Super C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login

Old 03-25-2017, 10:28 AM   #1

2016 Seneca with air brakes - electric trailer controller install

Has anyone here done this yet? Trying to find the connector that others have talked about up near the steering column, however I am unable to find it. The other threads that I have found on this though all have hydrolic brakes. I am hoping someone can lead me in the direction I need to go to find the brake wires to hook up a trailer controller.
Old 03-25-2017, 06:21 PM   #2

When we had Camping World install our brake controller on our 2016 Seneca, they could find the connector either and they just hard wired it in.
Fishman417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 08:28 AM   #3

On our 2016 Seneca with air brakes the wire-loom for the brake controller is located to the right of the steering column right above the gas pedal. My husband installed the brake controller.
debrip13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 09:23 AM   #4

Thank you so much...is there anyway you guys might be able to provide me a picture so I know what I am looking for?
Old 04-01-2017, 08:24 AM   #5

Have you had any luck finding the wires to add the electric brake controller? I've searched around under the dash of our 2016 HJ for an hour with no luck. Freightliner guys do think it's under there somewhere. I'm starting to think I'll need to take the dash off.
stmccormick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 07:12 PM   #6

I haven't even looked again since last time. Been out all weekend and have not gone under there...hopefully sometime this week.
Old 04-05-2017, 10:35 PM   #7

On my 2016 TS I removed the dash panel and cup holder/ ac control panel and was able to find the wires..
Fatdragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 06:34 AM   #8

In making changes and adding equipment to the radio, I've had the dash off many times. The first time was daunting, after that routine. Pull the screws and carefully work it off. It will make understanding the Freightliner portion of unit a lot more.
2016 Jayco Seneca 37FS
2016 Chevrolet Traverse
2018 Cheverolet Silverado
rgolding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 12:07 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatdragon View Post
On my 2016 TS I removed the dash panel and cup holder/ ac control panel and was able to find the wires..
Can you tell me if these wires were labeled and if they were all together? I have gone through and taken almost most of the dash apart. Found a nest of stuff right under the radio, but never went as low as taking the cup holders and AC area out. Can you give me an idea of what color wires I am looking for? Is it all 4 wires that are needed for a controller? Are the wires just bundled up and their ends taped off or does it end at a connector of some sort? Sorry for so many questions, I am just going in blind right now and it feels like I am looking for a needle in a haystack right now.
Old 05-19-2017, 07:59 AM   #10

I am going to try to revive this post and see if anyone else has had any luck finding the wires. Jayco nor freighliner was much help. I got a wiring diagram from freightliner, but its just a schematic so it just says the wires are under the dash somewhere. I am leaving for Moab Utah in two weeks and would really like this working. I'm tempted to bring it into Camping World to have them do it, but my guess is because it is freightliner wiring, they will just bring it to them and I already know they wont be able to get it done in time.

Ryan
Old 05-19-2017, 09:58 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyRoRyan View Post
I am going to try to revive this post and see if anyone else has had any luck finding the wires. Jayco nor freighliner was much help. I got a wiring diagram from freightliner, but its just a schematic so it just says the wires are under the dash somewhere. I am leaving for Moab Utah in two weeks and would really like this working. I'm tempted to bring it into Camping World to have them do it, but my guess is because it is freightliner wiring, they will just bring it to them and I already know they wont be able to get it done in time.

Ryan
Instead of taking it to CW... take it to Freightliner instead... They would have the parts and knowledge, since it is all chassis related.

and BTW - taking the LC with you? where are ya camping in Moab... you are in our neck of the woods....
07 Toyota FJC & Yamaha Kodiak 400 ATV

SloPoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 10:16 AM   #12

My local freightliner dealer I dont think can get it done in time. I will call them and see but last time I checked they were weeks back on RV stuff as commercial trucking is priority for them. Plus I do like doing thing myself anyway. Even if someone did not install it themselves...if I could just get a picture of where their controller wiring is going (toward the steering wheel, or toward the AC controls) that would be a big help. Even better if they could see the bundle of the factory wires that the controller is tied into so I know what to go looking for.

I am taking the Cruiser with us. Us, our close friends, and two other families from AZ will go to CanyonLands RV Park for a week...all bringing our toys with us and will try not to break anything
Old 05-19-2017, 10:29 AM   #13

When I added the brake controller to Montblanc, the instructions described the 4 colors of the wired and "under the dash".

Turned out to be above the gas pedal, taped to a bracket near the firewall!

Keep looking. There can't be too many wires under there that simply end

Sitting in The Cheap Seats.
And proud of it!
mike837go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 10:33 AM   #14

The vehicles with the hydraulic brakes have that bundle real easy to find...its the air brake ones that are more difficult
Old 05-19-2017, 12:01 PM   #15

As far as scheduling at Freightliner for any service or repairs don't start the conversation stating you have an RV, tell them you have a M2-106 truck. Then work in that it is a Class C RV. My local Freightliner dealer has separate bays just for the Class A Freightliner chassis, and they are always scheduling weeks out. But when I have needed something it is next day!

Can't guarantee every dealer is like that, but others have indicated similar experiences.
Toads: 2019 Ford Edge ST or 2013 Ford Focus ST
Robbbyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 01:55 PM   #16

Not sure if this helps at all but I saw this bundle under the seat of a 37rb. Not exactly sure what this is for but perhaps it might help. Sorry if it doesn't

I am also curious as to how this should be wired as even though I am using a dolly with a shunt break I would like to get a flat tow in the future and it would be nice to get this done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
RVermont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 10:27 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbbyr View Post
As far as scheduling at Freightliner for any service or repairs don't start the conversation stating you have an RV, tell them you have a M2-106 truck. Then work in that it is a Class C RV. My local Freightliner dealer has separate bays just for the Class A Freightliner chassis, and they are always scheduling weeks out. But when I have needed something it is next day!

Can't guarantee every dealer is like that, but others have indicated similar experiences.
I never do...I start with telling them that I have a M2-106 that needs work. I fit the RV part in later. Everything that I have had done over there in the past has been warranty work, but in this case it obviously is not that. My only worry is that even if it is a M2, they are going to charge me the RV rate of $175/hr vs the $125/hr rate they charge on their normal tractors.
Old 05-22-2017, 10:39 AM   #18

I have seen this box and it is in the wiring diagram I have. The problem here is that it is behind the seats and not the effective end of the wiring. the wires will come out of this box and go both to the rear of the coach to the hitch and also into the dash. I could mount the controller next to the steering wheel and then run wires around to behind the seat. I feel though this is not really the right way to do it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVermont View Post
Not sure if this helps at all but I saw this bundle under the seat of a 37rb. Not exactly sure what this is for but perhaps it might help. Sorry if it doesn't

I am also curious as to how this should be wired as even though I am using a dolly with a shunt break I would like to get a flat tow in the future and it would be nice to get this done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-22-2017, 03:32 PM   #19

I hear you, Hopefully someone can snap a couple of photos under the dash showing the controller and the wires. Maybe pm a couple of them in case they are not seeing this thread. Best wishes
RVermont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 08:59 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbbyr View Post

YES... exactly the same for us... Anytime you tell them it is a Motorhome, they reach for the "we-hate-working-on-diesel-pushers" schedule that has a waiting list for service like Camping World. I tell them it is a M2-106 and they tell me to come on in now.... and they will have me out by 5PM.

They even did a custom service request to move the passenger window switch over to her side while they had a warranty fix on our front Sway Bar bushings. - still in and out in a couple of hours on the day I called.
07 Toyota FJC & Yamaha Kodiak 400 ATV

SloPoke is offline   Reply With Quote