Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-31-2021, 03:43 PM   #1

2017 37TS Maintenance

I had my last yearly oil and filter changes/grease job done at a Speedco near me. Today I was slithering around under the rig and noticed that all of the driveshaft zerks showed no sign of being greased. Looks like all the steering components were greased and I think the slack adjusters had been done sometime in the past. Kind of disturbing after paying $340 for the job. So, I guess I will have to start doing it all myself but not looking forward to it at 76yr old.
So, what do you you use for a grease gun. Don't think my old Plews cartridge pump gun is going to work. Also what oil filter wrench works as I don't think I can get access with my band wrench.

Thanks from sore muscles Opa
2010 Toyota Tundra toad
Oma/opa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2021, 04:35 PM   #2

I use two different guns to do mine, same grease in both. One has a locking tip for all the fittings other than the U-joints. The one I use on the U-joints has just a straight push-on tip since it is a tight fit getting on the zerks for those U-joints.

I have a strap wrench I use for the oil filter, got it at AutoZone. Works well enough to break it loose, then I just reach up and spin it off. I have a small trash bag over it to catch any drips.

I was warned by the shop that did my front end alignment to grease the kingpins several times a season if possible. The kingpins installed in the pre-S2RV Senecas (with the Detroit front axle) are very expensive to replace. I now am doing mine before any big trip, better safe than sorry!
Attached Images

Toads: 2019 Ford Edge ST or 2013 Ford Focus ST
Robbbyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2021, 09:28 AM   #3

Rob
Thanks for the reply. Do you need to jack up the front end to get the king pins to accept grease? Also do you use and electric or pneumatic grease gun?

As a side note, one of my farmer neighbors instead of using 2 different guns, purchased a short extension hose and installed a ZERK on one end and a straight push-on tip on the other end. When he needs to use the straight tip he inserts the extension ZERK into the clip on fitting and he is all set
2010 Toyota Tundra toad
Oma/opa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2021, 09:47 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oma/opa View Post
Rob
Thanks for the reply. Do you need to jack up the front end to get the king pins to accept grease? Also do you use and electric or pneumatic grease gun?
My Freightliner maintenance manual specifically says not to jack it up when greasing the kingpins. And I just use a manual gun with a locking tip and it seems to work well. I just crank the wheels and I can get in there easily, start it up and go the other way for the other side. I have to do mine soon (again), got a New England trip coming up in 3 weeks!
Toads: 2019 Ford Edge ST or 2013 Ford Focus ST
Robbbyr is offline   Reply With Quote