Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-23-2019, 11:40 AM   #1

2017 Seneca 37TS oil pan plug problem

Took my Seneca in to Speedco for oil change etc. After the oil was drained the tech put the pan plug back in but called me out to the work area and told me that the plug was stripped and he could not torque to 44 ft#. The plug would just spin. I suggested that they put in the oil, really no choice, and see if it leaks. Note, I purchased the unit used so the plug would have been stripped prior to my ownership. Also, the plug never leaked in the 9000+ miles we have driven it. Drove home from Speedco with no issues, checked around the plug when I got home and no leakage..note I also checked the the plug at this time and is spins at 30# of torque.

My dilemma is twofold
1. Which is more likely to be stripped, the plug or the oil pan threads. I am leaning toward the plug as the oil change tech was able to remove the plug
2. Course of action: monitor and perform repair at next oil change or take to mechanic, Cummins or other, and have a new plug installed or possibly Helicoil or possibly rethread the oil pan.

Your thoughts
2010 Toyota Tundra toad
Oma/opa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 01:44 PM   #2

Duct tape a shop vac to the oil filler location on the valve cover and turn it on. You can then remove the drain plug without loosing any oil so you can inspect it. I used this method to install a Fumoto valve before the first oil change and it works great.

But then you already know that

Another possibility if the pan is stripped is to check the diameter and pitch of the thread and tap it out to the next inch or metric size as there is usually a added thickness in the pan at the drain. I have done this on old Fords and works fine. I highly recommend adding a Fumoto valve to eliminate future problems.

Rustynuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 01:07 PM   #3

Thanks RustyNuts..Did the shopvac trick and it worked like a charm, only lost about a teaspoon of oil. PROBLEM SOLVED.
2010 Toyota Tundra toad
Oma/opa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 03:11 PM   #4
Sam

Second the Fumoto valve, have had them on several vehicles and they are great.

Sam
Sam is offline   Reply With Quote