Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-18-2018, 02:48 PM   #1

2017 Seneca 37TS Washing

Just curious as to how you wash your Seneca or other motor home

Do you get on the roof to wash it or use a ladder and brush? If you get on the roof on a unit without an installed ladder, do you lean the ladder against the rear cap with padding on the ladder?

Do you wash the sides using a wash mitt or do you use a brush on an extension pole? If you use a brush, what brand have you found that is soft enough to not scratch the surface but still clean the surface
2010 Toyota Tundra toad
Oma/opa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 05:22 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oma/opa View Post
Just curious as to how you wash your Seneca or other motor home

Do you get on the roof to wash it or use a ladder and brush? If you get on the roof on a unit without an installed ladder, do you lean the ladder against the rear cap with padding on the ladder?

Do you wash the sides using a wash mitt or do you use a brush on an extension pole? If you use a brush, what brand have you found that is soft enough to not scratch the surface but still clean the surface
I do get up on the roof to scrub it down, I use a "Little Giant" ladder to access the roof without leaning it against my Seneca. I climb off onto my roof using the top rung of my rig's rear ladder. My Seneca came with ladder unlike the newer ones!

To wash my rig I use a brush on a pole, I obtained the brush from Home Depot. It is very soft and doesn't scratch the finish. Because the bristles are so soft they don't last long, I replace it once a year or so. I do use it on my cars too.
Toads: 2019 Ford Edge ST or 2013 Ford Focus ST
Robbbyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 10:50 PM   #3

Send a message via AIM to JOEA Send a message via MSN to JOEA Send a message via Yahoo to JOEA
I just go to the truck wash!
JOEA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 11:27 PM   #4

We have a mobile wash crew come out. They use a hot water sprayer and brushes. They open all slides and awnings and clean them while on the roof. Works great!
Attached Thumbnails
46707D29-33A4-48E0-8824-AC1A00C9A945.jpeg   A102590E-FCB8-43BA-914B-15488DCC110D.jpeg  
cabinetmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 06:21 AM   #5

We have an old 25 cent car wash in our town, that takes $2 to get started. It has a truck bay. I do it in 2 cycles, first the front on about $5 and then the back for about $4. It works to get the big grime off. I don't do the roof with this.

Once a year, I try to get over all surfaces, by hand on a ladder with washing, waxing/polishing and looking it all over.

I've looked at the truck washes and wonder about it. What's the general thought on cost?

As I get older, I wonder where this part gets covered/accomplished and how I will continue to keep it clean.
2016 Jayco Seneca 37FS
2016 Chevrolet Traverse
2018 Cheverolet Silverado
rgolding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 02:21 PM   #6

I would use the OEM ladder on our prior Greyhawk to get on the roof 2x's/yr to scrub and clean, then do the rest from the ground. We now have a TT, and I've done the roof both ways, up on the roof and from a ladder. I feel a bit "safer" standing on the ladder as I'm only 5-6' off the ground vs 10 or so when standing on the roof. Can't see the roof as well due to the angle, but it works ok. It depends on how clean you want to get the roof. Not many people see the roof, so....
Equalizer WDH
TV 2018 F150 FX4 SC 3.5EB TP/MT
jimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 03:00 PM   #7

We usually just wash our Seneca where it is parked, we have a telescopic soft brush that connects to the hose on the pole. I've had it 20 years, and have not found another that has bristles on the brush as soft as what this one has. There is no way in #%&@ that I am going to get on that roof when it is wet, Winter is coming and the snow cleans up everything eventually.

We also have a 6' pole with a spring loaded pin that works with most of the commercial window washing tools. A window washing kit that has the microfiber wash head works pretty good when used with a plain terry-cloth towel instead (http://a.co/d/3cI8ql7)

We then use a second pole with a dry towel on it to dry the upper portion of the Seneca.

We have been to Blue Beacon Truck Washes a couple of times. Costs between $40-$60 a wash and they use high pressure sprayers and hand brushes on poles. Use them with caution as they don't take the care they should around the fridge, water-heater and vents that they should.
07 Toyota FJC & Yamaha Kodiak 400 ATV

SloPoke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 06:18 AM   #8

Bone sponge

I did get up on my roof to start the process and power washed with soap and water, but in keeping with Steve’s sentiments, I never stood up! It took us one weekend per quarter of the truck washing with soap and sponges, followed by cleaning clay, followed by another wash, and two coats of NXT. I had my co-pilot (who is learning how to become a pilot) do rims and bay doors while I did all ladder work. Following Robs advice a plank was placed between two ladders over the engine to wash the front cap.
Old 11-11-2018, 09:25 PM   #9

Do you guys wash your rigs with the slides in or out or both? I will be washing my Greyhawk for the first time and will start on the roof so was thinking of putting the slides out when on the fiberglass roof so I can clean the tops with soap and water. I guess I will probably wipe it all down before going down to do the sides. Do you wax or polish your roof to help keep it slick and uv treated? I know that would be very time consuming but willing to do it 1-2x a year or maybe just using a spray wax/uv treatment like protect all.

For drying do you use towels or squeegee/blade to dry? I also own a airforce master blaster which might help speed up the drying process and remove water out of the nooks and crannies.
Studiovette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 09:39 PM   #10

Be careful of the commercial truck wash facilities. It was called Little Sisters-not Blue Beacon-and they used 36 inch bristle brooms and washed it like a dirty 53 foot over-road trailer. It has scratches I've not been able to get out.
2014 Seneca 37FS
2015 Wrangler Sport toad
red-headed wife
RoWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 09:12 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloPoke View Post
We usually just wash our Seneca where it is parked, we have a telescopic soft brush that connects to the hose on the pole. I've had it 20 years, and have not found another that has bristles on the brush as soft as what this one has. There is no way in #%&@ that I am going to get on that roof when it is wet, Winter is coming and the snow cleans up everything eventually.

We also have a 6' pole with a spring loaded pin that works with most of the commercial window washing tools. A window washing kit that has the microfiber wash head works pretty good when used with a plain terry-cloth towel instead (https://a.co/d/3cI8ql7)

We then use a second pole with a dry towel on it to dry the upper portion of the Seneca.

We have been to Blue Beacon Truck Washes a couple of times. Costs between $40-$60 a wash and they use high pressure sprayers and hand brushes on poles. Use them with caution as they don't take the care they should around the fridge, water-heater and vents that they should.
We do pretty much the same but start with a power washer our kids bought us for Christmas. Spray off all the loose stuff to get the surface wet. I then use a MATCC Adjustable Foam Cannon I bought on Amazon which attaches to the power sprayer. Works pretty good soaps down a quarter of the rig at a time. Then I hit it with a 13" soft brush that screws in to an extension pole for washing windows. Bought it on Amazon for less than $20. Nice and soft and doesn't scratch. Then rinse with the power washer. I then use a wide silicone water squeegee 18" attached to the window extension pole to squeegee off the water on the sidewalls. I finish with another pole that has a window washer sponge on it that I cover with microfiber towels to get any dribbles and spots the squeegee missed. Sounds difficult but goes quite fast and my feet stay on terra firma. I get on a ladder maybe once every other wash and rinse off the roof of the Seneca with a power washer. Have not been on the roof yet but probably will for inspection rather than washing.
Gunfighter is offline   Reply With Quote