Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-10-2019, 06:42 PM   #1

2017 Seneca AC

Are the AC ducts common between the living room and bedroom AC units. If I have the bedroom AC running, there is a fairly large volume of air coming out of the ducts in the living room, especially towards the front cabover. Is this normal. It seems to me if this is normal, the two units would be fighting each other especially in the area between the two units and backpressure would be reducing the efficiency of the units when both are running
2010 Toyota Tundra toad
Oma/opa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 07:37 PM   #2

Our 2015 has two 15k Heat pumps.

Our forward unit has ducting to both ducts, on the drivers side and the passenger side of the AC unit.

Our Bedroom unit only ducts to the passenger side duct. It is not connected to the drivers side duct and I really wished that it was. I poked around and did not see that it was prepped for it, and gave up.

The Bedroom AC/ Heat Pump will blow all the way forward to the middle of the coach, and a little air will bypass the forward AC unit into the drivers side ducting, but not much.

Our big slide, blocks the AC vents on the drivers side of the living area... we open the diversion registers on the forward AC so that air blows out into the living space, not on top of the slide out when it is in travelling mode.
07 Toyota FJC & Yamaha Kodiak 400 ATV

SloPoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 04:51 AM   #3

All the vents in my unit are connected. Which allows us to run the unit in the room we are not in and not be bothered with the sound of the unit. Basically I close the registers in the unoccupied space and that forces the air to the other room.

The only thing I dont like about the units heat pump is the fan only runs when when the compressor is running. It doesn't have a constant fan position like the ac. The unit would be less obtrusive if you didn't notice the fan coming on and off every few minutes.
RVermont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 05:04 AM   #4

We do the same thing, with the back unit running most of the time and the front unit hardly ever used, except when wanting gas heat. Has anyone succeeded at reducing the noise of the units? I see an advertisement for a less noise AC panel, but never saw a report on it.
2016 Jayco Seneca 37FS
2016 Chevrolet Traverse
2018 Cheverolet Silverado
rgolding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 05:10 AM   #5

Despite my recent trip to the factory, I will be limping through this summer on one AC until they fix the forward unit. So I am able to use the bedroom AC to cool the whole place by having the air blow through the vents forward. I did not take notice if it blows on the driver and passenger vents. This works well until it is at the hottest time of the day.
Old 06-11-2019, 05:13 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgolding View Post
We do the same thing, with the back unit running most of the time and the front unit hardly ever used, except when wanting gas heat. Has anyone succeeded at reducing the noise of the units? I see an advertisement for a less noise AC panel, but never saw a report on it.
Truma unveiled their new furnace this year as they cite noise of comfort appliances as the RVers highest complaint. Their furnace is supposed to be very quiet. Perhaps soon we will see quite AC units.
Old 06-11-2019, 08:16 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGintys924 View Post
Perhaps soon we will see quite AC units.
That would be nice but is an engineering challenge to mute the intake and discharge sounds from a fan that is so close to the living area. That is why a basement A/C air handler unit is found on high end coaches.
Crossingover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 09:46 AM   #8

There is a company called WackOProducts that sells a product they claim reduces the sound level from something like 68db down to 63db which is a large noise reduction. Go to WackOProducts.com to get info. Interesting but expensive
2010 Toyota Tundra toad
Oma/opa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 01:56 PM   #9

If you're worried about backpressure - open the registers at the main vents - that will minimize the back pressure for each unit, and should allow the A/Cs to run at maximum efficiency. You can then use a simple portable room fan to blow the air around to where you want it.
crumgater is offline   Reply With Quote