Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-17-2017, 11:16 AM   #1

Send a message via AIM to JOEA Send a message via MSN to JOEA Send a message via Yahoo to JOEA
2017 Seneca Cummins Engine

I have the unit in for some warranty work, Dealer calls and states that they turned the key off however the engine continues to run. Can't shut her down. Any ideas what the cause is?

Thanks
JoeA
2017 Seneca 37TS
JOEA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 11:32 AM   #2

Would a Cummings dealer handle that under warranty?
bdreinv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 11:52 AM   #3

Send a message via AIM to JOEA Send a message via MSN to JOEA Send a message via Yahoo to JOEA
They are working it as we speak May be a grounding issue
Old 11-17-2017, 12:35 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOEA View Post
I have the unit in for some warranty work, Dealer calls and states that they turned the key off however the engine continues to run. Can't shut her down. Any ideas what the cause is?

Thanks
JoeA
2017 Seneca 37TS

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdreinv View Post
Would a Cummings dealer handle that under warranty?
Ultimately I suspect the coach warranty will need to cover it. But in the mean time it needs to get turned off.

I would be glad that happened at the rv dealership and not while on the road.

We had the opposite issue once. In the middle of no where ND, the old internatioal travelhaul, would not start. Took about 6 hours, and only saw one other car on the road the whole time. For some crazy reason put the tv in neutral and it started right up. Weird, only time it ever did that.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 02:15 PM   #5

Unless the dealer is certified to perform chassis repairs, you'll have to get it sent to the chassis dealer (Cummins) or the manufacturer.

I had a simple exhaust leak on my gas motor and the dealer said I would have to take it to the Ford dealer to get it fixed since they don't do warranty repair on the Ford Chassis.

The big question is whether or not the issue is due to something Jayco did with the coach wiring, or it is actually something wrong with the chassis wiring. If it is a Jayco mess up, you will take it to the Cummins dealer and they will tell you to pick it back up since it isn't a manufacturer defect and you'll have to take it back to a Jayco dealer. This is of course worst case and hopefully that is not the way things will work out.

Would seem pretty rare that a newer coach would have an ignition problem.

This is probably one of the largest problems with RV dealers. They only have expertise (using that term loosely) to fix the coach, but no expertise on the chassis side. I would think that the dealers would be required to have a Ford tech at the dealer to address some of this stuff.

Next you can run into problems with the chassis upfitter, who many times still isn't the RV manufacturer. For Thor (now also Jayco) they buy the chassis from Ford (uncut), send it to MorRyde for cutting and welding (along with new wiring) and then off to Jayco for final assembly. Seeing these built only solidifies the reason why there are so many warranty issues. BUT, at least Jayco has the best warranty in the business!........for now.

The chassis upfitters cut the frame and literally slap on some c-channel and weld it back together. C-channel steel already rusting away, especially around the welds.
foglght is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 05:00 PM   #6

2017 Seneca Cummings Engine

Quote:

Thanks

JoeA

2017 Seneca 37TS

That is not good and the engine may destroy itself. They need to cut the fuel supply to the Cummins ASAP.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Crossingover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 06:19 AM   #7

Quote:

Thanks

JoeA

2017 Seneca 37TS

Please update with what they found.
Thank you.

RVermont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 09:30 AM   #8

When I questioned the dealer he stated that after filling the LP tank he moved the unit to ready for pickup. When he turned off the key the unit did not shut down. That's when they called me. 30 minutes later they called back and said the unit was shutdown using the Key. They started and restarted a few times with no issues. On Monday I'll pick it up and stop by the Cummings dealer to discuss.
Thanks
Joe
Old 11-19-2017, 05:15 AM   #9

Quote:
When I questioned the dealer he stated that after filling the LP tank he moved the unit to ready for pickup. When he turned off the key the unit did not shut down. That's when they called me. 30 minutes later they called back and said the unit was shutdown using the Key. They started and restarted a few times with no issues. On Monday I'll pick it up and stop by the Cummings dealer to discuss.
Thanks
Joe
Document, document, document. Keep a time log of every conversation and every technician that looks at it. They'll resolve it, but don't just accept it was a fluke.
2016 Jayco Seneca 37FS
2016 Chevrolet Traverse
2018 Cheverolet Silverado
rgolding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 02:00 PM   #10

Quote:
Thanks
Joe
Cummins...........not cummings.
foglght is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 06:19 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by foglght View Post
Cummins...........not cummings.

Thank you.... I go a little crazier every time I see someone spell it Cummings

2017 Eagle HT 29.5BHDS -- 2011 F350 CCSB 4x4 PSD
repacs0103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 06:40 AM   #12
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Thanks
Joe
Ignition circuits typically de-fuel diesels to shut them down in an orderly way.

Sometimes lubrication line seals in a turbo go bad, and when they do, they can allow oil into the combustion stream, thereby causing a runaway because the engine is burning your motor oil as fuel even though your electronics have called for de-fueling.

If you let this go for more than a short time and it will suck out all your oil and destroy the engine due to lack of lubrication in the lower end. If it runs away, you need to stop it immediately, even if by drastic measures.

Anytime any compression-ignition (diesel) engine will not shut off, de-fuel it immediately if you can. This can be done in a number of ways, depending on the "level of emergency."

Some options include cracking open the fuel injector line nuts. (Without high pressure in the fuel lines, it will die.)

If you don't have tools handy, you can cut a fuel line with a pocket knife (on some models, not on others they are steel.) If you can't get the fuel shut off...

Another choice is putting piece of plastic/rubber over the turbo air-air inlet. Just hold it there until the engine dies. Lack of enough air will halt combustion if it's running high enough RPM to require boost.

If you can't get to the turbo, put a plastic shopping bag over your air filter inlet (yank the filter off first if you can) and then tape/ziptie/hold it until the engine dies.

If you don't have any of these options, or if your non-mechanically-inclined wife or friend is in command, they can just take out your fire extinguisher and spray it into your air filter until the engine chokes out. You'll won't start again until you do cleanup and buy a new air filter, but it won't hurt the engine and will almost always coat the filter and block out all the air until it shuts down.

I keep a halon extinguisher for this reason and also for any propane fires because it chemically inhibits combustion by removing "a side of the triangle."
RayBo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 11:35 AM   #13

This run-on condition is no joke. Two weeks ago I had my Seneca in for Freightliner service and they were replacing the engine of a Cascadia (?) that not only wouldn't shut off, but ran backwards until the lower end bearings seized. Plenty of U tube videos out there on this type of accident.
Crossingover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 02:17 PM   #14

After picking up the Seneca from the dealer for warranty work I stopped by the Freightliner/Cummins shop. They are saying that it may be just a fluke since it only happened once, however if it were to continue they feel it may be in the switch. We are off to Hatteras for the next week and we;ll see what happens.

Happy Thanksgiving
Joe
2017 Seneca 37TS:
Old 11-20-2017, 03:14 PM   #15
Lost in the Woods

Sounds good. Save travels and happy Thanksgiving. Bring a few pieces/parts that I might have mentioned to enable you to shut it down if necessary. It's like a first aid kit...you never want to open it, but you sure are glad you have it handy when somebody's bleeding. :-)
RayBo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 05:07 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crossingover View Post
This run-on condition is no joke. Two weeks ago I had my Seneca in for Freightliner service and they were replacing the engine of a Cascadia (?) that not only wouldn't shut off, but ran backwards until the lower end bearings seized. Plenty of U tube videos out there on this type of accident.
YIKES! I might consider an extended warranty. Has anybody purchased an extended warranty from Cummins? If so, what are the terms and price?
Kar Kaddy SS
javamon is offline   Reply With Quote