Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-15-2019, 01:05 PM   #1

2017 Seneca Tire Pressure ?

My seneca weighs 8540 on the front axle and 15320 on the rear. According to the Michelin Load/Pressure tables I can run as low as 70 PSI with my 275/80R22.5 G XZE2 tires. This seems low to me for this size tire. I have been running 85 PSI and don't feel the ride is too harsh. What are your thoughts and how much do you use.
2010 Toyota Tundra toad
Oma/opa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 01:34 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oma/opa View Post
My seneca weighs 8540 on the front axle and 15320 on the rear. According to the Michelin Load/Pressure tables I can run as low as 70 PSI with my 275/80R22.5 G XZE2 tires. This seems low to me for this size tire. I have been running 85 PSI and don't feel the ride is too harsh. What are your thoughts and how much do you use.
I was running 110psi at first but after weighing I'm running 90psi cold. Much better ride and didn't lose any fuel mileage. Works for me.
Mr.Oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 02:26 PM   #3

Its always best to run at the max pressure stated on the sidewall. A Goodyear engineer told me this, keeps the tire sidewall rigid which reduces heat.
Sundancer330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 02:39 PM   #4

I have similar weights on the my 2018 ts and i start the day 80 psi. This rises to 90 psi fairly quickly. While the 70 psi is possible since I have not weighed each tire location I would not feel comfortable getting that low. If I weighed each I might go that low. The tire guide is put out by Michelin so people inflate their tires to the correct level for the tire load, I don't see any reason not to go by what they publish.
RVermont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 08:36 AM   #5

So you weighed, thats already 10 bonuspoints, but was it fully loaded as you go on tripp?

If you dont experiënce discomfort at 85 psi , I would keep it at that.
But probably you looked back the weighed loads, and did not first add a reserve of 10% , to cover unequall loading R/L, wich is always the case for motorhomes.

Even crossed between the axles, but that dont influence the tirepressure-advice.

If you read for me from tires 3 things , I wont have to google for it ( lazy):
1 maximum load or loadindex
2 pressure behind AT , is called reference-pressure. probably 125 psi.
3. the maximum speed of tire, or speedcode . Probably speedcode L for 120kmpu/75mph.

then I assume dual load axle behind,but comfirm please.
And give the maximum speed you use, and wont go over for even a minute.

then I will trow it trough my made extra save motorhome-tirepressure-calculator, and give an advice.
jadatis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 09:57 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancer330 View Post
Its always best to run at the max pressure stated on the sidewall. A Goodyear engineer told me this, keeps the tire sidewall rigid which reduces heat.
I guess he works for a different GOODYEAR this is directly from their RV TIRE INFLATION GUIDE:

Correct tire inflation is a key component in tire care. The recommended maximum inflation pressures for your tires are indicated on the certification label or in your owner's manual. Since RVs can be loaded with many different configurations, the load on each tire will vary. For this reason, actual air pressure required should be determined based on the load on each individual tire. Inflation pressure should be adjusted to handle the tire carrying the heaviest load, and all tires on the axle should be adjusted to this standard.

https://www.goodyearrvtires.com/tire...n-loading.aspx
Old 04-16-2019, 06:32 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadatis View Post
So you weighed, thats already 10 bonuspoints, but was it fully loaded as you go on tripp?

If you dont experiënce discomfort at 85 psi , I would keep it at that.
But probably you looked back the weighed loads, and did not first add a reserve of 10% , to cover unequall loading R/L, wich is always the case for motorhomes.

Even crossed between the axles, but that dont influence the tirepressure-advice.

If you read for me from tires 3 things , I wont have to google for it ( lazy):
1 maximum load or loadindex
2 pressure behind AT , is called reference-pressure. probably 125 psi.
3. the maximum speed of tire, or speedcode . Probably speedcode L for 120kmpu/75mph.

then I assume dual load axle behind,but comfirm please.
And give the maximum speed you use, and wont go over for even a minute.

then I will trow it trough my made extra save motorhome-tirepressure-calculator, and give an advice.
Jadatis
MH was totally loaded for travel
No I did not add 10% to the weights(good idea)
To answer your questions
1.Max load single is 6175 pounds. dual is 5675 per tire
2. max pressure is 110 LBS
3. Speed rating does not apply to these truck tires
2010 Toyota Tundra toad
Oma/opa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 06:59 AM   #8

Speed rating is 75MPH based on Michelin specification sheet for these tires.
RVermont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 10:10 AM   #9

When I fill it in my made extra safe motorhome-calculator, it comes to 82 psi front and 80 psi rear.
Then automatically adds 10 % first, before calculating with even safer formula then the European one, so sooner to high pressure then to low.
And then I ignored the speedcode thing.
If I assume that 75mph maxspeed of tire, you can even go higher in pressure, with still acceptable comfort and gripp.

Normally I lower the single loadindex by 4 steps to give the tires a deflection that is needed for 160kmph/99mph, a border that I determined to give still acceptable comfort and gripp.

When I fill that in it comes to F 93 psi and R 83 psi.
Rear then not much higher because already lesser deflection for dual.
Li F 144 down to 140
LI R 141 down to 140
jadatis is offline   Reply With Quote