Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-07-2021, 08:23 PM   #1

2018.5 S2RV 37HJ Triple Slide Topper

The large slide (living room slide) has come undone at the roof and has retracted into the “roller housing”. I was on Carefree of Colorado’s website and they are requesting me to provide the serial number/part number from the topper. Although purchasing the motor home new I received no information on the slide topper’s/awning. 1. Does anyone know where this information can be found? 2. Once obtained is it something I can replace? Thanks.
Martigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2021, 09:28 PM   #2

Mine was on the metal housing that covers the topper when it is shut. Just carefully unscrew it (Watch some videos so you don't pop any springs and its on the back side of the cover)
BIGPAPA1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2021, 10:44 PM   #3

I would suggest contacting Tough Top Awnings for replacement material, it is much more heavy duty than the Carefree material. They also have good videos of how to replace the material yourself. It’s not that difficult of a project.

https://www.toughtopawnings.com/

Rustynuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2021, 08:38 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martigg View Post
The large slide (living room slide) has come undone at the roof and has retracted into the “roller housing”. I was on Carefree of Colorado’s website and they are requesting me to provide the serial number/part number from the topper. Although purchasing the motor home new I received no information on the slide topper’s/awning. 1. Does anyone know where this information can be found? 2. Once obtained is it something I can replace? Thanks.
Contact Jayco and ask for the build sheet for your coach. It will have the manufacturer, part number, model number and serial number for all serialized components on your rig. It’s a sloppy document but will serve the purpose although some entries look like they were made by pre school scribblers
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2021, 08:40 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by EA37TS View Post
Contact Jayco and ask for the build sheet for your coach. It will have the manufacturer, part number, model number and serial number for all serialized components on your rig. It’s a sloppy document but will serve the purpose although some entries look like they were made by pre school scribblers
Dealer should also have it on file. They are supposed to send in warranty registration after the rig is sold.
Old 09-08-2021, 08:49 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
Dealer should also have it on file. They are supposed to send in warranty registration after the rig is sold.
Dealer does not have the assembly build sheets. They don’t register warranties for components. That build sheet has to be requested from the manufacturer. Took two days to get mine after the request.
Old 09-08-2021, 08:55 AM   #7

Quote:
Dealer does not have the assembly build sheets. They don’t register warranties for components. That build sheet has to be requested from the manufacturer. Took two days to get mine after the request.
My dealer always did!!!
Old 09-08-2021, 10:07 AM   #8

Quote:
My dealer always did!!!
Count yourself lucky. 3 motorhomes in 12 years from 3 different dealers and none of them had a manufacturer’s build sheet or registered anything other than the chassis and overall motorhome warranties.
Old 09-08-2021, 10:39 AM   #9

Quote:
Count yourself lucky.
No. "Great dealer"...

I think other's have also posted that they had the component serial numbers on the MSRP sheet for their rigs as well when they took delivery.
Old 09-10-2021, 06:13 AM   #10

Attached is a manual for the Carefree slide cover. If you replace it yourself find the Youtube videos on how to replace it on the coach. DO NOT take the full assembly off if you do not have to.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Carefree Ascent-Service-Manual.pdf (1.92 MB, 7 views)
allanlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 07:13 AM   #11

Just My Luck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustynuts View Post
I would suggest contacting Tough Top Awnings for replacement material, it is much more heavy duty than the Carefree material. They also have good videos of how to replace the material yourself. It’s not that difficult of a project.

https://www.toughtopawnings.com/
I'm 2600 miles from home and found out this a.m. that mine did the same thing. At RV park and went up on the side with ladder and the awning has entirely retracted into the spool.
Question one - How hard to reattach assuming its not jammed in some way. Can one old guy pull it out and reattach?
I admit I haven't read through the attached Carefree manual, next step, have to move today.
Thanks for any input or experiences.
Gunfighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 07:17 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunfighter View Post
I'm 2600 miles from home and found out this a.m. that mine did the same thing. At RV park and went up on the side with ladder and the awning has entirely retracted into the spool.
Question one - How hard to reattach assuming its not jammed in some way. Can one old guy pull it out and reattach?
I admit I haven't read through the attached Carefree manual, next step, have to move today.
Thanks for any input or experiences.
Only way to do it is to remove it, rewind the springs, lock them in place with a cotter pin or nail and then slide back into the rail and reattach.

Not a one man job..
Old 09-17-2021, 01:33 PM   #13

Thanks

Quote:
Only way to do it is to remove it, rewind the springs, lock them in place with a cotter pin or nail and then slide back into the rail and reattach.

Not a one man job..
Thanks Grumpy.
Gunfighter is offline   Reply With Quote