Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-22-2021, 04:01 PM   #1

2018.5 Seneca S2RV 12 Cu. Ft. Norcold Residential Conversion

In May I had J.C. Refrigeration, Shipshewana convert my Norcold refrigerator to a residential (110V) configuration. Plugged it into the house last night. Set the temperature setting @ 6. This morning freezer was -11F & refrigerator was 35F. It’s 90F here today & this afternoon the freezer is -6F & the refrigerator is 53F. (TOO HOT!) I’m running the AC @ 84F. Has anyone else after this conversation seen the dramatic 20 degree differential between morning & afternoon temperatures on a hot day?
Martigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2021, 05:31 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martigg View Post
In May I had J.C. Refrigeration, Shipshewana convert my Norcold refrigerator to a residential (110V) configuration. Plugged it into the house last night. Set the temperature setting @ 6. This morning freezer was -11F & refrigerator was 35F. It’s 90F here today & this afternoon the freezer is -6F & the refrigerator is 53F. (TOO HOT!) I’m running the AC @ 84F. Has anyone else after this conversation seen the dramatic 20 degree differential between morning & afternoon temperatures on a hot day?
I also had the conversion done earlier this year to my Norcold 1210 and it has been fantastic. I have the 12-volt model but I doubt that matters. It works great in +90 degree temps and in full sun on that side of the unit. I did add insulation to the outer cabinet after I got home since it did not have much from Jayco. I filled the space above the top of the cabinet and down both sides to prevent outside heat (or cold) from affecting the inside walls on the sides of the refrigerator. And I removed the Jayco-installed baffle in the upper opening. Mine will go up to the high 30's when we load new groceries but it usually drops down within 30 minutes or so. Mine also runs at setting 2 or 3 but that might not mean too much. In my attached picture you can see a history of the high and low temps my unit experienced over a 5-day outing when the temps were high.

Now some questions. Do you have a fin fan in the refrigerator section? Do you have a buildup of frost on the fridge fins that can interfere with heat transfer? Have you inspected the door gaskets? Is the center "flip bar" between the doors laying down properly when the doors are closed? Some have had problems with that center bar.

If nothing jumps out at you give them a call in the AM. I'm sure they will help as much as they can.
Attached Thumbnails
20210612_175003.jpg  
Toads: 2019 Ford Edge ST or 2013 Ford Focus ST
Robbbyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2021, 07:08 AM   #3

1. There is a fan operating immediately above the compressor. (I’m not sure if this is the fin fan you are referring.) 2. There is no build up of frost. 3. Door gaskets were inspected by the “experts” yesterday. 4. “Flip bar” was inspected by the “experts “ yesterday.

Let me explain experts. We are 5 hrs. away from JC Refrigeration. Arrived yesterday at noon. Unit currently in their shop. More to come.
Old 08-25-2021, 07:19 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbbyr View Post
I also had the conversion done earlier this year to my Norcold 1210 and it has been fantastic. I have the 12-volt model but I doubt that matters. It works great in +90 degree temps and in full sun on that side of the unit. I did add insulation to the outer cabinet after I got home since it did not have much from Jayco. I filled the space above the top of the cabinet and down both sides to prevent outside heat (or cold) from affecting the inside walls on the sides of the refrigerator. And I removed the Jayco-installed baffle in the upper opening. Mine will go up to the high 30's when we load new groceries but it usually drops down within 30 minutes or so. Mine also runs at setting 2 or 3 but that might not mean too much. In my attached picture you can see a history of the high and low temps my unit experienced over a 5-day outing when the temps were high.

Now some questions. Do you have a fin fan in the refrigerator section? Do you have a buildup of frost on the fridge fins that can interfere with heat transfer? Have you inspected the door gaskets? Is the center "flip bar" between the doors laying down properly when the doors are closed? Some have had problems with that center bar.

If nothing jumps out at you give them a call in the AM. I'm sure they will help as much as they can.
Hi Robb,

I remember you mentioning this conversion a while back and I'm glad to hear that your 12v conversion has been good so far. We are considering doing this soon also. I noticed in your picture you have what appears to be an after-market temp monitor. Could you share some details on it?

Thanks,
Dave
Kar Kaddy SS
javamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2021, 07:55 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by javamon View Post
Hi Robb,

I remember you mentioning this conversion a while back and I'm glad to hear that your 12v conversion has been good so far. We are considering doing this soon also. I noticed in your picture you have what appears to be an after-market temp monitor. Could you share some details on it?

Thanks,
Dave
Amazon
I keep my monitor on my dash when traveling. Works awesome.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004QJVU78...roduct_details
Attached Thumbnails
3DE3974A-7E59-47A6-A570-7BE099427362.jpg  
Old 08-25-2021, 08:42 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by javamon View Post
Hi Robb,

Thanks,
Dave
I have the exact model Parrot mentions above. However since my refrigerator is black (monitor only comes in white) I took the display carefully apart and spray painted it black with plastic compatible paint. And it still worked great after reassembly!
Toads: 2019 Ford Edge ST or 2013 Ford Focus ST
Robbbyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2021, 10:45 AM   #7

Got exactly the same one from Walmart. They didn’t have it in the store but ordered it for me. $26.