Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-25-2022, 04:34 PM   #1

2018 Jayco Seneca Electrical

Hey all!!
This is my first post on here, my boyfriend and I have been reading this forum since the day we brought our seneca home… not sure if that’s a good or a bad thing. We are in a love hate relationship with our seneca and are hoping maybe some of you have some answers for us so we can get on the road! Most recently the lights flicker when the generator is on, the trailer brake, auto steps, shore power cord, trailer brakes, trailer lights, rear turn signals, rear lights, and power seats have all stopped working. checked all fuses and breakers, none are blown or triggered. it says 13.9V on the dash, so i don’t believe it has to do with low voltage? We do special events and travel on a very tight timeline, therefore we have to be 14 hours away in the next day or so… but we can’t really drive at night with no lights on the coach or the trailer we’re towing idk if anyone has any ideas, thoughts, or encouragement, we’re feeling very discouraged with this being our dream motorhome and having this many problems with it so early on…. thank you all!
maggiehamlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2022, 04:36 PM   #2

Check all the ground connections...
Old 07-25-2022, 04:55 PM   #3

2018 was a transition year from the M2 chassis to the S2 chassis, so things can be a little different on wiring. Do you know which chassis you have? The easiest way to tell is the M2 has the fuel tanks under the cab steps and the S2 has the 100 gallon rear tank.

Like Grumpy said, it may be loose or broken grounds, most of them are located at the rear of the chassis, above the trailer hitch, there is another small group up behind the steps on most models.

Rustynuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2022, 05:00 PM   #4

I am assuming then that we have an S2 because our fuel tank is in the rear, thank you both i will have to check the ground connections… on the S2 there is a connection beneath the steps as well?
Old 07-25-2022, 05:03 PM   #5

can you give me a little direction on what i do NOT want to see, if a ground connection is bad? i see 5 groups of wires that look grounded above the hitch, what should i be lookin for?
Old 07-25-2022, 05:29 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by maggiehamlin View Post
can you give me a little direction on what i do NOT want to see, if a ground connection is bad? i see 5 groups of wires that look grounded above the hitch, what should i be lookin for?
Look and feel for loose or corroded wires, when this happened on mine, there were 4-5 wires in an aluminum lug and the screw holding the lug to the frame had broke off and was hanging. Make sure all wires are tight.

Old 07-25-2022, 05:54 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by maggiehamlin View Post
I am assuming then that we have an S2 because our fuel tank is in the rear, thank you both i will have to check the ground connections… on the S2 there is a connection beneath the steps as well?
If you have an S2, you have a 2018.5, use this reference for anything as it indicates yiu have the S2. The 2018.5 is kind of an oddball when it comes to wiring and Jayco could never supply me with a specific wiring diagram. I have these diagrams which help determine where related connections are to start looking, the basic drawing matches what is on mine, and the detailed one is from 2019. The 2019 had a separate fuse box for trailer lights in the battery compartment so maybe if yours is a late 2018.5, it MIGHT have that small fuse box, but mine doesn’t. In emails with Freightliner, this is what they told me about my chassis based off my VIN….

“ The rear lights ( turn, backup and brake lights) are controlled by the chassis module (CHM). The CHM is powered by 3 VBATT fuses. They are labeled CHM VBATT1,2&3. It then will send the power out on those circuits when requested. On your chassis Freightliner did not provide the tow plug harness only a harness for the body side to tie into for the rear lights. I am not sure how the body builder has tied in to our wiring for the tow plug. I have attached the wiring for the rear lamps.”

The fuses that are mentioned above, are in the fuse boxes located on the drivers side inner fender well when the hood is raise, so check the fuses there.
Attached Thumbnails
BC85C5C4-2812-45BB-BB9D-6631B524E0EC.jpg   265932BD-BB48-4CF2-9261-4783585FD2A4.jpg  

Tags
12 volt, class c, electrical issues, freightliner