Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-08-2019, 11:18 AM   #1

2018 Jayco Seneca Magnum AGS

Generator is starting when everything is turned off. All settings are set at 0 main switch is turned off. Had RV parked in storage found it running checked hour meter it had been running about 10 hours. What am I doing wrong.
gabuie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 04:37 PM   #2

I assume your are referring to the 5 control knobs on the face of the Magnum AGS when say set to 0, which for 3 is off all the way counterclockwise and first on left I don’t believe can go lower than 1 hour. When you say main switch is OFF you are referring to the remote start switch? Are you sure its in the middle and not on Test? Have you tried turning off at the generator and run test sequence on AGS?
Gunfighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 04:40 PM   #3

Perhaps a little more detail. How long in storage, several days or months? No shore power during this time? 10 hours on meter what was voltage when you discovered that it was running automatically? If you shut off at generator and turn back on does it start up automatically?
Gunfighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 08:46 PM   #4

Turned off main electrical supply. 12.2 volts, 3days before I checked on it.
Old 07-08-2019, 08:48 PM   #5

I have not run the AGS to check
Old 07-08-2019, 08:49 PM   #6

No shore power
Old 07-10-2019, 03:18 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabuie View Post
No shore power
I have also had problems with the generator starting on its own on my 2019 Seneca. I do notice sometimes when connecting or disconnecting to shore power it will enable AGS and I have to use the rest button to disable. Even doing this it will sometimes start on its own. Had the 7nit at the rv dealership for list of repairs and they told me the generator was running when they went into the unit... the dealer is calling Onan to talk to them but I suspect it is something with the inverter and the ags both magnum dimension products... I don’t have much faith with the dealership coming up with anything.
Old 07-10-2019, 09:16 AM   #8

2018 Jayco Seneca AGS system

GeorgeM,
Thanks nice to know someone else with same problem. Also, with same confidence in dealer. There must be no training from Jayco to dealers.
Old 07-10-2019, 12:04 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeM View Post
I have also had problems with the generator starting on its own on my 2019 Seneca. I do notice sometimes when connecting or disconnecting to shore power it will enable AGS and I have to use the rest button to disable. Even doing this it will sometimes start on its own. Had the 7nit at the rv dealership for list of repairs and they told me the generator was running when they went into the unit... the dealer is calling Onan to talk to them but I suspect it is something with the inverter and the ags both magnum dimension products... I don’t have much faith with the dealership coming up with anything.

Let us know what you come up with as our Genny also like to start on its own in our 2018.5 Seneca. I have tried all kinds of different settings with no luck. On our last trip it started at 2am while plugged into shore power. Another time we stopped at a rest area and I get out and the generator is running. We do have the system being enabled by itself, it happened yesterday when we got home and unloaded, went to bed and heard the genny running out our bedroom window. Of course I blamed the DW for hitting the enable switch which was lit up

Rustynuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 08:21 PM   #10

Yep dealer not much help admittedly they did say they really were not knowledgeable on the AGS... dealer called Onan and Onan said there should be a way to completely disable the AGS unit... not really much help.
Old 07-10-2019, 10:44 PM   #11

I have an email into Sensata Technologies about this issue and another issue of the inverter panel randomly beeping once night and day even when the alarm is set to off.....anybody else have this happen? I also sent him a link to this thread to see what is happening. If I hear anything via email I will post it up.

Old 07-12-2019, 05:33 AM   #12

Rusty on your inverter control panel can you use the power button to turn the inverter off or reset when an over power situation has happened?
When my inverter alarmed turned itself off to protect itself the reset button does not work. Had to disconnect the cable that runs down to the inverter from the control panel in order to get it to reset. I was told by magnum dimensions this is normal. I just can’t believe this is normal operation for a control reset button not to work.
Old 07-12-2019, 12:11 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeM View Post
Rusty on your inverter control panel can you use the power button to turn the inverter off or reset when an over power situation has happened?
When my inverter alarmed turned itself off to protect itself the reset button does not work. Had to disconnect the cable that runs down to the inverter from the control panel in order to get it to reset. I was told by magnum dimensions this is normal. I just can’t believe this is normal operation for a control reset button not to work.

No, ant turn the inverter off from the panel inside. I talked to Magnum about this and Jayco wires a hot wit to the Ignition port on the inverter and when you turn the main disconnect off by the entry door, it is suppose to turn the inverter off but it doesnt always work that way. If you disconnect the wire to the Ignition port on the inverter you can turn it off and on at the panel.....sometimes I have never had an over-power situation, it just randomly beeps and the voltage usually shows around 12.7 when it beeps.

Old 07-14-2019, 09:34 PM   #14

Cool

Sounds familiar!
Purchase 2018 1/2 Seneca in September of 2018. Went on several trips with no issues until I left on a month Sydney cruise in April. Seneca in covered storage with 20a service connected, generator started on its own and ran for 715 hrs until it ran the 100 gals of fuel dry! Well maybe 99 gal, the main eng ran for about 3 min. when I started it to take home to summarize. So much for the generator not operating below 1/4 tank!
After a well needed oil change and several trips again with no issues, the generator started again on its own, this time while camping and connected to 50a service. The the only difference this trip was the generator was running prior to shore pwr being connected for air conditioning during setup. Once shore pwr was connected the generator was shut down using the start/stop sw on the generator itself not the remote start/stop sw in the house. After about 20-30 after being shutdown it started on its own. Shutdown this time with the house/start sw and reset AGS sw. generator has remained off.....so far!
Fr8dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 06:16 PM   #15

Wow, thats crazy it ran that many hours! I got a reply back from Magnum and they had me check connections and take pics of the settings and board version. I will post what they say.

Old 07-20-2019, 04:03 AM   #16

Generator did it again, plugged into 30 amp shore power, AGS disabled with reset button- all settings on AGS set to off or lowest setting you can, generator was running when I woke up this morning, was running for almost 2 hours.
Old 07-20-2019, 04:18 AM   #17

Rusty, What connections did they have you check?
Old 07-20-2019, 01:37 PM   #18

When you say AGS disabled do you mean turned off or have you disconnected the communication cable?
KoreanCowboy57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 01:48 PM   #19

Disabled with the reset button like the Jayco manual says to.
Old 07-20-2019, 04:35 PM   #20

Unplug the communication cable from the AGS.. it looks like a phone cord. If the issue stops, it's a bad board in the ags and the ags will need to be replaced.
KoreanCowboy57 is offline   Reply With Quote