Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-07-2018, 10:01 AM   #1

2018 Seneca HJ clearance lights not working

Have my Seneca HJ in for inspection and the running lights are not working. Garage found a blown fuse under the drivers seat blown for marker lights and they replaced it. The rear clearance lights worked for a little while then the fuse blew again. So we know there is a short somewhere. They pulled all the marker lights to check for bad bulbs, touching wires , etc. can not find anything with the lights so there is a short somewhere in the wiring. Contacted jayco but the wiring diagrams they sent were useless. Does anyone know if the wiring for the clearance lights run along the chassis or are they buried in the coach walls?
Old 12-07-2018, 10:28 AM   #2

Could there be an issue with the 7-way plug on the hitch?
WinnieView is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 12:19 PM   #3

Running across the back of the frame of the coach is where all the grounds connect. I had some break loose that caused my batteries from charging. Check the ones on the passenger side as I think these are where the clearance lights ground out. Here is a picture up under the center of the rear bumper above the hitch that I had to redo all of mine as they were breaking off. Just on the other side of the frame towards the passenger side you will see probably a half dozen wires...check those for the lights.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0199.jpg  

Rustynuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 03:40 PM   #4

What Rustynuts said. Same to issue with my marker lights. They would not turn. Found broken ground wire on rear. Have not done the full repair that rustynuts has done but will be doing that this spring. Too many potential failure points. You can do a simple check by running a test wire from the lights to a ground on the chassis.
RVermont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 12:21 PM   #5

Thanks for the input. I’ll check into those things. And see what the shop did so far and mention it to them.
Old 12-15-2018, 02:35 PM   #6

Well figured out the issue. The garage doing the inspection said no power to the lights. I asked them if the jacks and side entry steps were working. I said if they weren’t, then the culprit is most likely the breaker on the chassis batteries. Well they never checked it and sure enough when I went down to pick it up the chassis battery breaker was tripped. Reset it and voila, I have clearance lights. This breaker causes me more headaches. Why does it keep tripping?
Old 12-15-2018, 02:47 PM   #7

Weak breaker?
Excessive circuit load?

If it continues you will likely have to dig deeper, putting an ammeter on the circuit to test it would be my first step. Operate everything on the circuit and see if anything is out of normal limits.

Good luck!
Toads: 2019 Ford Edge ST or 2013 Ford Focus ST
Robbbyr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 04:22 PM   #8

The breakers do seem to be an issue but I wonder if quality of the original breaker being used is part of the issue. If it were mine I would probably start by replacing the breaker with a good quality unit. I always use this type of main breaker in wiring my sandrails and are exposed to the elements. There are Marine grade and Standard, I have always used the standard ones.

I really havent looked on my 2018.5 to see if they use the same thing just in a different location but I know they are not mounted to the top of the chassis batteries which are now in a compartment with the coach batteries which is much more enclosed than the older chassis batteries under the step. It might be caused by a lot more moisture getting on the breaker under the step.

https://www.delcity.net/store/EATON-...23677.h_795462

https://www.delcity.net/store/Del-Ci...08823.h_195296

Rustynuts is offline   Reply With Quote