Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-14-2019, 09:23 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbbyr View Post
My 2014 originally had a Clarion NX501 which died less than 2 years into our ownership. I considered having it replaced by dealer, but who knows what junk would have been substituted. Plus I shuddered at the thought of the dealer messing around in my dash! I had already "cleaned things up" in there with my other mods including the addition of Sirius radio and a subwoofer to my stereo.

I contacted Clarion and asked if my failure was common, but of course it was not per them. But they did offer me a "goodwill" credit on a new unit that was the most recent unit comparable to what I had. So I went with their NX706 model and I have been very happy with it ever since. Larger (motorized) screen, better interface to all the functions (in my opinion), a more responsive touchscreen, and a HDMI input to which I connected my dashcam. And it will still output video to the bunk TV and output the bunk TV's audio to the overhead speakers. It does everything the original unit did and more. I even connected the rear cameras microphone to my system so when I put it in reverse I see the picture and can hear my wife providing guidance. That took a little more doing, but it is handy at times!

My camera wiring uses an ASA/Voyager switching module, that is what allows the single camera input of the radio to display the side cameras and rear camera at different times. I suspect that is what your unit has too. I attached a file that shows how it is wired, perhaps that is what you are seeing marked left, right, etc.
The ASA tech and I talked for a while about the camera interface... and how the Voyager cameras are all connected directly into the back of the Jensen JRV215n head unit. The head unit has a separate plug that wires up to the turn signal / backup light circuit to trigger the respective camera on the display. The Voyager cameras are all powered by the Jensen JRV215n head unit, and when I took the dash apart today, I confirmed that this is true today after I tore my dash apart and pulled the Head Unit out. Tracing power wires tomorrow...
Attached Thumbnails
20190114_141103b.jpg  
07 Toyota FJC & Yamaha Kodiak 400 ATV

SloPoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 09:35 PM   #22

Oh... and... We are also seriously considering adding a 4-channel DVR to our Seneca... We have had a few "close calls" on the highway and more than a few close calls where we have camped over the past two years. We have a 16 camera DVR at home and know the value of having a permanent record of what happened for our insurance.

So... we are thinking of adding something like this, - into the mix along with a forward facing camera to watch how badly / fast / crazy I actually drive our Seneca (DW helped me on the description)
RV Cams Voyager 4-Channel Mobile DVR --- Model Number DVR4100
so that it will record while we are stopped and parked... and while on the road.

Then we can see how big the mountain lion really was... that left all of the tracks and tore up our campsite the night before - like a Game Camera can.

Old 01-14-2019, 09:47 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloPoke View Post
Oh... and... We are also seriously considering adding a 4-channel DVR to our Seneca... We have had a few "close calls" on the highway and more than a few close calls where we have camped over the past two years. We have a 16 camera DVR at home and know the value of having a permanent record of what happened for our insurance.

So... we are thinking of adding something like this, - into the mix along with a forward facing camera to watch how badly / fast / crazy I actually drive our Seneca (DW helped me on the description)
RV Cams Voyager 4-Channel Mobile DVR --- Model Number DVR4100
so that it will record while we are stopped and parked... and while on the road.

Then we can see how big the mountain lion really was... that left all of the tracks and tore up our campsite the night before - like a Game Camera can.
Oh my! I have to look into something like that!
Toads: 2019 Ford Edge ST or 2013 Ford Focus ST
Robbbyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 03:15 PM   #24

Got this from Kenwood.
Attached Thumbnails
E680FDB4-C7A5-4300-9E40-C5862E37FE37.jpg  
eeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 07:05 PM   #25

So... traced all the wires, power/ACC/GND and such - I have now pronounced the Jensen-JRV215n - DEAD!

So... back to the "What do we replace it with" thread... I talked to an engineer at RVCams.com about the DVR in more detail today and they also have a refurbished JRV215n replacement for about $250. He is working on a package deal to include the DVR and forward Camera as I type this post...

Still looking for your feedback on other radios! We really want to avoid CW at all costs!

Old 01-16-2019, 01:49 PM   #26

Went and pulled the trigger on the new radio... Gets delivered Saturday,

I started a new build thread on the upcoming project that the DW approved in our appropriations committee meeting she held last night.
https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...tml#post719988

Old 01-17-2019, 08:35 PM   #27

Another project for the todo list!
Old 01-18-2019, 08:38 PM   #28

How do these cameras compare in quality to the oem ones that Jayco puts on?
Old 01-18-2019, 09:00 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeM View Post
How do these cameras compare in quality to the oem ones that Jayco puts on?
I'm not sure I understand the question... for the project we are working on, we are using the existing cameras that Jayco installed in the L, R and Rear.

We are adding one to the front.

Old 01-19-2019, 06:46 AM   #30

Sorry thought you may have been replacing / refreshing cameras at the same time. I am looking to compare the OEM backup camera to perhaps a better quality for better visibility while running down the road. Is why I was asking.
Old 05-04-2019, 08:53 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balibe View Post
For those looking for a replacement …….

Kenwood has released the DNX775RVS for RV's. It has the Garmin GPS system based on the RV 770 LMT-S. It looks like the same Garmin GPS I have in my Fusion/Garmin system they used last year and has map updates from Garmin via the Garmin Express software. I could not find exact prices on the internet but appears to exceed $1000.00. There is a link below, there is a good video on the system. To note, let the video keep going after it ends as it automatically starts several other videos on the system. I was impressed with the Screen Control App which allows a phone/tablet to connect with Bluetooth and take touch screen control of the system.

Kenwood DNX775RVS: https://www.kenwood.com/usa/car/navi...dia/dnx775rvs/
This finally came out. $1,500. Way over priced. Crutchfield has it.

https://www.crutchfield.com/S-TMf5n3twW7u/p_113DNX775R/Kenwood-DNX775RVS.html?XVINQ=GLX&awkw=720004803587&awat=pl a&awnw=g&awcr=346155044593&awdv=m&awug=9011557&gcl id=CjwKCAjw8LTmBRBCEiwAbhh-6Mz-GvvtjWACSxsJI9squOfSqQpLQHKz3n5OZbwcy7-feyuWCpL1XxoCD_EQAvD_BwE
Old 06-05-2019, 12:06 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by eeek View Post
This finally came out. $1,500. Way over priced. Crutchfield has it.

https://www.crutchfield.com/S-TMf5n3...xoCD_EQAvD_BwE
Overpriced? Maybe but it's certainly packed with tons and tons of features... Would love to know how plug an play it would actually be in my Jayco. For instance, could it use the same GPS antenna? I understand the multiple cameras feed into a separate module that then feeds into the current Soundstream via a single feed so that should work. The question I have is whether the lag on the camera switching comes from the Soundstream or that middle man module? If the lag is from that module then my main driver for upgrading essentially goes out of the window... That being said, it would be nice to have a GPS system that understood what I was driving and where I shouldn't take it... LOL

Thanks,
Jeff
jeffro01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 12:58 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffro01 View Post
Overpriced? Maybe but it's certainly packed with tons and tons of features... Would love to know how plug an play it would actually be in my Jayco. For instance, could it use the same GPS antenna? I understand the multiple cameras feed into a separate module that then feeds into the current Soundstream via a single feed so that should work. The question I have is whether the lag on the camera switching comes from the Soundstream or that middle man module? If the lag is from that module then my main driver for upgrading essentially goes out of the window... That being said, it would be nice to have a GPS system that understood what I was driving and where I shouldn't take it... LOL

Thanks,
Jeff
I can speak to your questions. This is a crippled version of a DNX875S. For example, it is a resistive versus a capacitive TS. That unit can be bought for around $600 to 700 now. It is, other than not having the RV software, a superior head unit. It is the unit I replaced the Soundstream with. While I am pretty good with electronics, it was much easier to pay for an install. You cannot reuse the Soundsteam GPS antenna. GPS maps are not free and cost 69.99 a year to update.

I don't have multiple cameras, but I can tell you this. In the Soundstream, I had both a substantial lag and a horrible picture. But I can tell you, it wasn't the camera. I don't have that lag and the picture is pretty decent now.

If you have $1,500 plus install (unless you do it yourself), I'd say go for it. However, I would recommend spending $500 on a good radio and $300-400 on a stand alone RV GPS.

The only difference in this and their other headunits is it has the specific GPS software. When you look at garmin devices, that is typically $100 more over the regular GPS. They are absolutely fleecing the hell out of RV owners simply because they can. They made no specifcs for RVs. It doesn't even come with a remote. But wait, you can use the Kenwood remote app! No, no you can't. That is designed for driving, not for RV use.
Old 06-05-2019, 01:04 PM   #34

Quote:
I can speak to your questions. This is a crippled version of a DNX875S. For example, it is a resistive versus a capacitive TS. That unit can be bought for around $600 to 700 now. It is, other than not having the RV software, a superior head unit. It is the unit I replaced the Soundstream with. While I am pretty good with electronics, it was much easier to pay for an install. You cannot reuse the Soundsteam GPS antenna. GPS maps are not free and cost 69.99 a year to update.

I don't have multiple cameras, but I can tell you this. In the Soundstream, I had both a substantial lag and a horrible picture. But I can tell you, it wasn't the camera. I don't have that lag and the picture is pretty decent now.

If you have $1,500 plus install (unless you do it yourself), I'd say go for it. However, I would recommend spending $500 on a good radio and $300-400 on a stand alone RV GPS.

The only difference in this and their other headunits is it has the specific GPS software. When you look at garmin devices, that is typically $100 more over the regular GPS. They are absolutely fleecing the hell out of RV owners simply because they can. They made no specifcs for RVs. It doesn't even come with a remote. But wait, you can use the Kenwood remote app! No, no you can't. That is designed for driving, not for RV use.
While I'm more than capable of doing my own install work (installed car audio/security while in high school years ago) so that's not an issue, it's more of what does this unit give me that I don't have? Really appreciate the responses though on my main questions. For now I plan on using my iPhone for navigation as google maps does a good job and while it won't help me with height restrictions and such, I can at least position it where it can be seen... LOL

I'm looking at a putting in a separate monitor just for the camera feeds where it can be positioned at a viewing angle that actually allows me to see it... If I go that route then I'll just leave the sound stream unit in as it does a "good enough" job at the radio and bluetooth. Granted, I need to take a few trips in my new toy first to really understand what I think I want and all of that as I might find the sound stream just sucks something awful for everything then I can re-evaluate... LOL

Thanks,
Jeff
jeffro01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 01:25 PM   #35

My goal was to have a better sounding unit. I replaced the 6x8’s in the doors and the 5 1/4s in the overhead with excelon speakers. I also added a 8 inch powered sub under the passenger seat. The radio sounds really, really good. I don’t listen to music outside, so I didn’t change those. Also, I have driven large vehicles for 20 years and I know people do really stupid stuff. So I added a KENWOOD dash cam that interfaces with the DNX875. I can also play the rear view cam at anytime, but not record it, of course.

We travel to a lot of places where phone isn’t an option- just no signal. So I wanted a dedicated GPS unit. I also didn’t really care for Apples CarPlay. That was based on my experience in my Civic. However, I really like the interface with the KENWOOD. I can use Waze, google maps, or Apple maps and of course the included garmin.

I understood the Soundstream. It was a $200 head unit- and it showed. I am extremely disappointed in Jayco’s inclusion of it. That said- it wasn’t horrible once you understood it. I listened to music over Bluetooth, the GPS wasn’t horrible, and the options when I was stopped was fine. I like the tv being played on the head unit- sort of a poor man’s surround sound. The Soundstream also had a decent remote. I could turn it off and on. You can’t do that with any KENWOOD remote. You can turn it off, but that’s it.

I didn’t have a huge need to swap it, but I am glad I did. All told, I dropped around $1,500 for all of those upgrades. I can jam out when I drive to camping spots.
Old 06-05-2019, 08:02 PM   #36
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
My goal was to have a better sounding unit. I replaced the 6x8’s in the doors and the 5 1/4s in the overhead with excelon speakers.
I also agree the sound quality between the Soundstream and the speakers Jayco installed is really terrible. Replacing the speakers in the inside is one project I want to do.

Can you tell me exactly what model speakers you used for the door speakers and ceiling speakers? Are they rated at higher wattage than the factory ones?
RetiredOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 09:37 PM   #37

Well, I selected the speakers specifically for the head unit I used. That said, these would be fine for the Soundstream. There is no way that can overdrive these speakers. I also didn't want to do it myself so I paid to have it done. The shop was in Southern Georgia.

I chose Kenwood Excelon KFC-X683C 6"x8"s for the front doors. I also added some boom mat speaker baffles as lord knows I don't need any more rattle than what I have. These tend to rob some bass, so I added a Kenwood KSC-PSW8 under the passenger seat to make up for it.

The rear speakers presented a problem. I picked Kenwood Excelon KFC-X134 5-1/4" but these were much taller than the stock they were replacing. Also, right there was a piece of the frame running across the roof which changed the depth. The stereo shop created some step-up rings to compensate for it. The end result is attached.

I choose Kenwood because I've always liked them- and I picked these particular speakers because I knew the end result would sound awesome. A word of caution- I would buy them from a reputable dealer as there are fakes and a lot of refurb stuff out there. I order a set from a big audio name and they were $40 cheaper than anywhere else. It's because they were returns. I sent them back and got my money back.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0661.jpg  
Old 06-05-2019, 09:56 PM   #38

If it helps, here are the stock speakers. The front speakers are Ford OEM speakers, the rear are.... Something.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1283.jpg   IMG_1282.jpg  
Old 06-05-2019, 09:58 PM   #39
Lost in the Woods

Awesome! Thanks for the info.. it gives me a place to start the search!
RetiredOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 07:44 PM   #40

Quote:
If it helps, here are the stock speakers. The front speakers are Ford OEM speakers, the rear are.... Something.
The rear Magnadyne speakers noted here are the very similar speakers for the front & rear of my 2018 26x. Mine are LS515W Rev B versus LS515W-P. Not sure the difference.

They are a 5-1/4" 3-way speaker (50 watts RMS / 100 watts maximum / 4 ohm impedance). Here is a link to the speakers on the manufacture website.

Balibe is offline   Reply With Quote