Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-27-2019, 08:42 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruceter View Post
Rustynuts, I have the same primary filter on my 2018 m2 chassis. When you changed this filter element did you have to prime the system or fill the bowl with diesel?

Bruce

Yes you do need to prime it. I did fill the bowl up before I put it back on and there is a primer button on top of the filter body and is kind of a pain to pump. You can see it in the 3rd pic I posted, its the silver knob, you just keep pushing it till its full.

Rustynuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 09:34 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustynuts View Post
Yes you do need to prime it. I did fill the bowl up before I put it back on and there is a primer button on top of the filter body and is kind of a pain to pump. You can see it in the 3rd pic I posted, its the silver knob, you just keep pushing it till its full.
Thanks for that, I hadn’t looked at it that closely and didn’t realize the silver metal cylinder piece was the primer button.

Thanks again
Bruce
Old 06-27-2019, 09:51 PM   #23

So... those who are doing it yourself? Are you having your oil tested when you are changing it out?
07 Toyota FJC & Yamaha Kodiak 400 ATV

SloPoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 09:42 AM   #24

I kept a sample of my oil, but have not found a lab to use for the analysis. I have looked at several, but have not found one that I like. Any lab recommendations?
dramo77355 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 10:16 AM   #25

I have used Blackstone Labs in the past and will be sending one in on my next oil change. They will send you a free kit to send it in. This is another great reason I use a Fumoto Valve as you can take a sample any time you want.

https://www.blackstone-labs.com/?ses...cwo55%29%29%2F

Old 07-02-2019, 01:03 PM   #26

Quote:
Th Cummins recommended is 15k miles/12 months and I would never reach that mileage in a 12 month period so as in past motorhome I do all the maintanence yearly regardless of mileage and that is in November. The first service I did was on 11/8/18 and was a 7700 miles. I have attached a list of filters I have used so far. When I do the oil/filter I also do a full chassis grease, coolant level, check all hoses and lines on the whole chassis for abrasion, check leveler fluid level and brake adjustment and just a full chassis visual check. I have probably left something out but you get the idea.
This is probably not relevant to the Seneca so don’t shoot the messenger but I can say from personal experience that the ‘17 & ‘18 CUMMINS in the RAM 3500’s had an addendum in the owners manual regarding the warranty on the engine that requires oil changes at 6 months or 6000 miles, whichever comes first to maintain the warranty.

Personally I think it’s a cash-grab technique the dealers had something to do with.
icr21801 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 02:41 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by icr21801 View Post
This is probably not relevant to the Seneca so don’t shoot the messenger but I can say from personal experience that the ‘17 & ‘18 CUMMINS in the RAM 3500’s had an addendum in the owners manual regarding the warranty on the engine that requires oil changes at 6 months or 6000 miles, whichever comes first to maintain the warranty.

Personally I think it’s a cash-grab technique the dealers had something to do with.

I just finished talking with Freightliner, the factory in S.C., speaking with Todd Terry @24/7 DIRECT
CUSTOMER ASSISTANCE OR CONCERNS
1-800-FTL-HELP (1-800-385-4357)
fcccservice@daimler.com
and asked them the question in reference to the first oil change on the S2RV chassis. Todd sent me an updated maintenance schedule, attached. I also asked them about the engine oil, specifically the type of oil since Costco had a sale on Shell Rotella 15-40, diesel. Todd said that oil was perfect and the engine uses 17 quarts. I hope this helps those looking to maintain their own RVs.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Freightliner Cummins S2RV Maintenance schedule update.pdf (2.33 MB, 156 views)
Stargazerandu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 04:14 PM   #28

Fumoto Valves for the Seneca

https://amzn.to/2RPqNzA
F104N with LC-10 is for Seneca S2RV chassis oil

https://amzn.to/2JqrStM

F107N with LC-10 is for the Generator
Old 11-07-2019, 07:42 PM   #29

So I just did my second oil change at 15600 miles. I took a sample via the Fumoto valve in the middle of the drain per Blackstone Labs recommendation. I sent it in and just got the report emailed to me. Now 15600 miles on a Cummins isn’t even close to being broke in so these numbers really don’t mean much but I wanted it for a baseline to watch with each oil change. If you read the comments, they explain the reasons for the numbers that came up in the analysis.
Attached Thumbnails
A12D08E2-8BEA-4652-A8D1-12B9D8E4940D.jpg  

Old 11-27-2019, 09:11 PM   #30

Took your advice, had my analysis done with my recent oil change. This was the 5th oil change I have done, I have a little over 36,000 miles on my unit now. Plan to do this with my annual service, well worth the $28.00!

Thanks for the great idea Rustynuts!
Attached Thumbnails
RobbbyR Oil Analysis 11-2019.jpg  
Toads: 2019 Ford Edge ST or 2013 Ford Focus ST
Robbbyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2019, 09:37 PM   #31

It’s a inexpensive way to keep an eye on things. I started doing them having a Ford 6.0 diesel and it helped to detect an early bad head gasket before it totally went. Pretty easy process and if you have a Fumoto valve, easy to take a sample at any time.

Old 01-18-2020, 11:29 PM   #32

First S2RV oil change, oil and fuel filters

Getting ready to do the first oil change, oil filter and fuel filters too. Looking at the maintenance manual, it shows 3 different fuel/water separators. According to one picture, it looks like the water separator that's on my S2RV chassis is an Alliance. Is that correct? If so, I am following the step by step directions on changing the filter.

Also according to Alliance, "The only maintenance necessary on an Alliance fuel/water separator is to replace the filter element." Does this mean no bleeding after each fuel fill up to check for water?

I would appreciate any tips and tricks and HELP. Thank you!!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Alliance Water Separator.pdf (164.9 KB, 31 views)
Old 01-19-2020, 01:34 AM   #33

My 2018.5 S2 chassis has the Detroit Diesel fuel filter on it and every S2 chassis I have seen also has the same thing which isn’t even shown in any of the manuals I have looked at. If it looks like the one in this picture, refer to post #15 where there is a pdf attached for the procedure and filter number.

This is the wrench you will need to remove the bowl without damaging it.

Lisle 61060 Diesel Filter Wrench for Paccar https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00P3TLOH6..._CDajEbSA8R756

https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...tml#post704441
Attached Images

Old 01-19-2020, 03:44 AM   #34

Quote:
My 2018.5 S2 chassis has the Detroit Diesel fuel filter on it and every S2 chassis I have seen also has the same thing which isn’t even shown in any of the manuals I have looked at. If it looks like the one in this picture, refer to post #15 where there is a pdf attached for the procedure and filter number.

This is the wrench you will need to remove the bowl without damaging it.

Lisle 61060 Diesel Filter Wrench for Paccar https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00P3TLOH6..._CDajEbSA8R756

https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...tml#post704441
Yep, looks the same and I do have all the filters. That attached PDF file on your referenced post does not open up...not sure why...Thanks Brian!!
Old 01-19-2020, 12:08 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stargazerandu View Post
Yep, looks the same and I do have all the filters. That attached PDF file on your referenced post does not open up...not sure why...Thanks Brian!!

Not sure while its not opening but here are the pages attached. I cant remember which version of the manual I found this in but I had a hard time finding it!
Attached Thumbnails
DD1.PNG   dd2.PNG  

Old 01-19-2020, 06:39 PM   #36

Need to change fuel, water separator got into some Bio diesel and filter is dirty. When I open and drop the bowel will fuel continue to run out at a fast pace. Do we need a shut off valve ahead of the filter housing.
Canyon man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 08:06 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canyon man View Post
Need to change fuel, water separator got into some Bio diesel and filter is dirty. When I open and drop the bowel will fuel continue to run out at a fast pace. Do we need a shut off valve ahead of the filter housing.
There is a drain on the bottom of the bowl, attach a piece of hose and drain into a container. Once you start to remove the bowl, unscrew it slowly and a little more fuel will drain into the bowl and out the drain. I get to this point and let it set a while while checking other things. Then just remove, install new filter and fill up with fresh fuel, the more you can put in before, the less you have to pump the primer which is a pain. I always change both primary water/filter and secondary filters at the same time.

Old 01-19-2020, 08:17 PM   #38

Thanks Rusty, I will change both fuel filters. Got to get the Bio diesel out.
Canyon man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 01:05 PM   #39

Rusty,

Thank you for the heads up about Blackstone Labs. I will definitely do this next year.
Again thank you.

2uptrailrider
2uptrailrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 07:07 AM   #40

Filter Brands

Just curious as to what brand filters everyone is using. Freightliner dealer isn't too far, so can stay with the Fleetguard. But I believe I've seen some post about people using the NAPA brands. I know there'll be may, just looking for opinions. 2020 HJ, first oil change.
2010 Jeep Wrangler - TOAD
Wandrews530 is offline   Reply With Quote