Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-25-2018, 09:28 PM   #1

2019 Seneca Water Heater Problems

We went on our first trip with our new Seneca and after the first day we had no hot water. We were dry camping and the gas side did not work and after an hour with the generator on with the electric side on still no hot water. Being in construction I understand the basic troubleshooting breakers etc. but nothing seemed to work. My wife and I and 3 kids dirt biking in the desert for a week this was not going to last long. My water heater is a Dometic GC10A-4E. My rig is a Seneca 37HJ. I figured it was something simple and called my dealer Richardson Rv in Menifee and they directed me to the shop foreman. Left a message and after a few hours I called back and was directed to the service manager. I left him a message with no call back. Frustrated I called a local RV shop in California City called Arias Rv repair. He had me take a few pictures and text to him. He called me back in 20 minutes and said he talked to Dometic support and these model water heaters came with a bad run of circuit boards P/N 91346. He said it is under warranty and Dometic will replace but he does not have one in stock. We checked everywhere and no one had one in stock within reasonable distance so he said his brothers RV has the same water heater and let me use his circuit board for the week so we could have hot water. Talk about customer service. The board he let me use was Atwood P/N 93305. Plug n play worked great the rest of the week. I hope this may save some troubleshooting and cold showers and I will have a back up board from now on.
Attached Thumbnails
Bad.jpg   Good.jpg  
Rino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 09:16 AM   #2

That is phenomenal customer support. Despite your troubles with it, you are fortunate to have the tanked Atwood WH instead of my on-demand tankless WH. IMHO this is one facet of Jayco's 2019 cost-cutting that made absolute sense.
Crossingover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 04:40 PM   #3

That is absolutely unbelievable customer service!

There was a bad run of WH control boards. Mine died shortly after purchase. I picked up a "Dinosaur" board from Amazon. Plug & Play, and worked like a charm. No problems since.

I have a couple other issues to deal with, then I'll submit some warranty claims to Jayco for parts. Hopefully they'll pay for at least some of it. Either way, it was cheaper than taking the rig to the dealer and leaving it for who-knows-how-long just for them to put another bad OEM board in...

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 09:48 PM   #4

Yes crossing over. I read about the problems with the tankless RV units and completely empathize with water heater problems. I put two Rinnai tankless in my house in 2007 to try out before I recommended to anyone and they still are working great, "as I am knocking on my head". Hopefully they get the RV units figured out, the concept is great.
I called my dealer again today and spoke to a service rep. Told my story of trying to get help and being blown off. No sorry and completely did not care about no help. Took down my information and acknowledged the control board problem. Was assured I would be called back right after lunch but was told pretty sure we cannot replace the part without bringing the RV in. Yea right going to drive the RV across California through LA 6 hours with no traffic for a $100 part and sure enough no call back. I bought my RV at the LA fairplex RV show and Richardsons was my dealer. Starting to wish I did more research as I see online they are a one star dealer.
Camper_Bob thanks for the reply. My first Rv was a 2013 Dutchman 315BHDS travel trailer I never took back to the dealer once. All the systems always worked and all the cheap stuff breaking I just fixed myself. I sold to my nephew when we bought the Seneca.
This is my first motorhome and is that what you do when the dealer is completely impotent is go to the manufacturer direct? Would greatly appreciate any advice on warranty. One of the big selling points at the rv show from Richardson's Rv and the Jayco rep was the industry leading 2 year warranty and so far I am just getting blown off.
Old 11-27-2018, 11:42 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rino View Post
Yes crossing over. I read about the problems with the tankless RV units and completely empathize with water heater problems. I put two Rinnai tankless in my house in 2007 to try out before I recommended to anyone and they still are working great, "as I am knocking on my head". Hopefully they get the RV units figured out, the concept is great.
I called my dealer again today and spoke to a service rep. Told my story of trying to get help and being blown off. No sorry and completely did not care about no help. Took down my information and acknowledged the control board problem. Was assured I would be called back right after lunch but was told pretty sure we cannot replace the part without bringing the RV in. Yea right going to drive the RV across California through LA 6 hours with no traffic for a $100 part and sure enough no call back. I bought my RV at the LA fairplex RV show and Richardsons was my dealer. Starting to wish I did more research as I see online they are a one star dealer.
Camper_Bob thanks for the reply. My first Rv was a 2013 Dutchman 315BHDS travel trailer I never took back to the dealer once. All the systems always worked and all the cheap stuff breaking I just fixed myself. I sold to my nephew when we bought the Seneca.
This is my first motorhome and is that what you do when the dealer is completely impotent is go to the manufacturer direct? Would greatly appreciate any advice on warranty. One of the big selling points at the rv show from Richardson's Rv and the Jayco rep was the industry leading 2 year warranty and so far I am just getting blown off.
I've had good luck both ways. I bought my trailer from an EXCELLENT dealer. He always treated me right, and always fixed everything I needed and worked with me to make things more efficient. I've also had good luck getting Jayco to pay for parts for things I fixed myself. They covered my tires when I popped a belt (no damage, thankfully caught it early) and replaced them with Maxxis; they reimbursed the entire invoice for parts. Really, it just makes sense for many things; it's cheaper for everyone if I can fix simple things, and I'm happy to cover labor if they'll pay for parts. In the case of my WH, I still come out ahead even if they don't cover the parts.

This time I bought from Camping World (my awesome dealer doesn't carry Jayco motorized units), so I had no expectation of service, AND that dealer is 2 hours away. They like to tout the "nationwide network" of CW outlets, but if they don't deal Jayco (and many of them don't), they won't service the unit. Case in point at this time is my hydraulic leveling system (an LCI product) is dysfunctional. There's no way I'm hauling my rig 2 hours to CW, and then leaving it for who-knows-how-long while they do the warranty dance with Jayco, and then take forever to fix it. So I contacted Lippert directly for some troubleshooting, they said I had reached the end of any troubleshooting I could do myself and recommended I take it to a shop. I asked them if I could use a local shop that came HIGHLY recommended from a client, and they said if the shop didn't or couldn't submit the warranty claim direct to LCI, I could pay for it and they would reimburse me the full invoice cost for the repair (yes, I have it in writing). So, in this situation, it's better to deal with the specific component manufacturer than Jayco. But sometimes you simply MUST go through Jayco (like when a piece of siding separated from my trailer).

Either way, I try to avoid leaving my rig at the dealer if at all possible. If I replace something cheap/small/simple I end up with the added benefit of knowing more about that system, so if something else goes wrong later (when there's no warranty), I'm better equipped to deal with it. So in a lot of cases, It's even more beneficial NOT to have warranty work done by the dealer.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 11:54 AM   #6

Great info. Thanks Camper_Bob!
Old 11-27-2018, 05:09 PM   #7

I nearly had a catastrophic deal with “the RV connection” in Indiana which is also a Richardson’s dealership. The receptionist actually got into a screaming match with my wife; also no call backs after the deposit was made! Read many bad reviews about them on the web and then understood why they had a two year old new Seneca on their lot.

It’s nice to know there are still good people out there who believe RVing should be fun rather than a fast way to rip money out of our pocket and into theirs.

Rino glad to know those Rannais are working well, just scheduled our install in January. However, I have found this Truma to be good for us. I knocked on the door because my wife said my head was too hard to be wood!