Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-18-2021, 01:55 PM   #1

2020 37l charging problems

Hello when plug in or running Gen house batteries won't charge. Any ideas what it could be? I read instructions and said check fuse from battery but I don't see one or know where it is. Any one else have these issues?
seneca323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2021, 04:21 PM   #2

The breaker should be on the right panel in the battery compartment.
Attached Thumbnails
80D947E1-10B1-42CA-8C9F-B11EE9BCCBF8.jpg  
75462 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2021, 08:28 PM   #3

The converter in the main power center supplies charging current for the batteries both chassis and coach. Do the 12-volt accessories like the lights, water pump, furnace work when plugged in or running generator? If they work fine but batteries not charging there is a breaker as previously posted near the batteries but it usually is an auto-resetting breaker. Did you cycle the converter breaker in the power center to ensure it's not tripped? Did you check the reverse power fuses below all the others?

You wouldn't be the first newer owner to have their converter go bad. Seems they "don't make 'em like they used to" unfortunately.
Toads: 2019 Ford Edge ST or 2013 Ford Focus ST
Robbbyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2021, 09:57 PM   #4

I cycled the breakers and fuses. If I am plugged in to ac power should the battery volts be staying at around 13volts. Cause mine are at 12.6.
Old 09-20-2021, 04:44 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by seneca323 View Post
I cycled the breakers and fuses. If I am plugged in to ac power should the battery volts be staying at around 13volts. Cause mine are at 12.6.
Yes, it should be higher at the batteries if the converter is working and the wiring is all intact. Are any of the batteries hot and/or spewing electolyte from them? Defective batteries can cause the whole bank to fail to fully charge.

In your power center there should be a green LED visible on the circuit board through a small hole in the panel. Usually it is about 1/3 the way up from the bottom. It is there to tell what charging mode the converter is in. Sometimes it will be steady on, then other times it will blink. If it isn't on at all that can be a sign of something wrong.

But what is unusual is that you have 12.6 volts at the batteries. That is nearly a full chage if batteries are at rest. If the converter was kaput I would expect a continued decrease in battery voltage as you use accessories. Are you driving it every day so the engine alternator charges the batteries?
Old 09-20-2021, 09:56 AM   #6

The batteries are agm so and not hot at all. The reason it is at 12.6 is cause I have solar aswell so it's getting 1 to 2 amps charge. But if I turn on all the lights and stuff the voltage drops. The green light is on solid sometime it blinks. But I would think if converter was working when flick on all the lights volts would not drop. And battery would be up to 13v
Old 09-20-2021, 10:59 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by seneca323 View Post
The batteries are agm so and not hot at all. The reason it is at 12.6 is cause I have solar aswell so it's getting 1 to 2 amps charge. But if I turn on all the lights and stuff the voltage drops. The green light is on solid sometime it blinks. But I would think if converter was working when flick on all the lights volts would not drop. And battery would be up to 13v
My recommendation is to check the voltage at the converter output and compare it to what you see at the batteries. There may be a slight difference due to wiring losses but not substantial. If you see 14+ volts at the converter but still have 12.6 volts or less at the batteries (with solar disconnected) the path may be interrupted somewhere between.

If your converter/power center is a Progressive Dynamics unit they should have troubleshooting tips on their website to help you determine if the converter is working.
Old 09-20-2021, 11:54 AM   #8

I have attached some troubleshooting info. There is a section on converter troubleshooting. I had to troubleshoot my converter because it quit going into boost mode. I was able to see this because I have installed a voltmeter that I constantly monitor.

I installed a remote accessory panel on my converter where you could change the charge level or see a blinking LED which tells you what level it is charging at. Mine will blink even when the converter is not on. I have 400 watts of solar so this accessory is just monitoring the battery voltage instead of what the converter is doing. When my solar is in boost mode, the blinking will indicate this. Maybe your panel works the same way in which case you have no idea if the converter is doing anything.

A voltmeter will instantly tell you what is going on. Without one, you will only be guessing.
Attached Thumbnails
Voltmeter.JPG  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf RV Electrical Troubleshooting (ver 2).pdf (2.01 MB, 9 views)
File Type: pdf Quick Multimeter Instructions (ver 1).pdf (376.3 KB, 7 views)

Jim

Retired electronic technician (45 years in the field)
2017 Greyhawk 29W (solar & many other mods)
wife (maybe I should have given her top billing)
JimD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2021, 08:53 PM   #9

I have a 2020 as well, I have had the same issue, in the shop as I write this to change out the converter for the second time after the original crashed.
Techs at service center can not figure out what keeps causing the failures.
Couldn’t be I a worse location with the noise it makes.
Junkshow55 is offline   Reply With Quote