Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-21-2021, 04:43 PM   #1

2021 37TS step not working

My Seneca has been in storage for a couple weeks and I went to get something out of it today and the step will not extend. I need to use it next weekend and I am hoping someone can offer guidance as to where to start to troubleshoot this problem.

The house battery and the chassis batteries are both charged and everything works on the chassis and the house system. I have tried it with the step switch in the on and off position.

Thanks for the help.
staineous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2021, 04:51 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by staineous View Post
My Seneca has been in storage for a couple weeks and I went to get something out of it today and the step will not extend. I need to use it next weekend and I am hoping someone can offer guidance as to where to start to troubleshoot this problem.

The house battery and the chassis batteries are both charged and everything works on the chassis and the house system. I have tried it with the step switch in the on and off position.

Thanks for the help.
Mine stopped working within 6 months. I crawled under there in a Walmart parking lot and found none of the wires were crimped. I put it all together and crimped the wires myself. Have not had any problem since.

Crawl under there and look for wires that have come out of "uncrimped" butt connectors.
Instagram @wanderingpeaches
www.youtube.com/@wanderingpeaches
repeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2021, 06:30 PM   #3

Quote:

Thanks for the help.
When you open the door does the light under the step come on?

My first trip out in my 2020 and the steps stopped working. I then made a pig tail to take the place of the controller to operate my steps if I ever have a control board die again.
Attached Thumbnails
86F725F8-4F65-4111-BB0F-EA75CCD7A8E1.jpg  
75462 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2021, 08:31 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 75462 View Post
When you open the door does the light under the step come on?

My first trip out in my 2020 and the steps stopped working. I then made a pig tail to take the place of the controller to operate my steps if I ever have a control board die again.
The light does not come on. I am going to crawl under it tomorrow to inspect the wiring.

I am guessing the switch you have takes the place of the board so you can control it manually if necessary? Can you share the part # for the plug and share a wiring schematic for how you put that together? Would come in handy if needed.
Old 05-22-2021, 07:50 AM   #5

Quote:
The light does not come on. I am going to crawl under it tomorrow to inspect the wiring.

I am guessing the switch you have takes the place of the board so you can control it manually if necessary? Can you share the part # for the plug and share a wiring schematic for how you put that together? Would come in handy if needed.
My test pigtail consist of the Four-way connector and the two-way connector as shown in the Kwikee diagram. My toggle switch takes the red power wire from the Four-way connector and foward or reverse the motor with the two-way motor connector. When I had to replace the control board, I cut the connectors off and used them for my toggle switch harness. Check the ground connection to the frame and don't forget, a voltmeter is a must to have.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Kwikee Step Diagram.pdf (230.2 KB, 13 views)
Old 05-22-2021, 09:02 AM   #6

Can anyone tell me where the fuses/breakers are located?
Old 05-22-2021, 09:10 AM   #7

Make sure the mag switch isn't stuck, give it a couple taps.
Old 05-22-2021, 09:30 AM   #8

Quote:
Can anyone tell me where the fuses/breakers are located?
I can only speak for the 2020. The steps and cord reel share a resettable breaker fed from the chassis battery.
Attached Thumbnails
90408508-028F-437F-B2A6-DB6DD8C7696C.jpg  
Old 06-03-2021, 09:13 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
Make sure the mag switch isn't stuck, give it a couple taps.
Winner winner! This is the problem. Easy fix.
Old 06-03-2021, 03:05 PM   #10

Quote:
Winner winner! This is the problem. Easy fix.
I too had a recent problem with the door magnet sensor (2021, 37L). My steps would go OUT but not back in. Those sensors are about $10 for a pack of six on amazon, and easy to replace. If it has been temperamental, I'd just replace the sensor before it leaves you hanging.
EricM22 is offline   Reply With Quote