Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-13-2023, 11:48 AM   #1

2022 37M heat pump and tank heaters

Hi All:
Likely a dumb question (donít worry - Iíve got a boatload of them!) but does the 2022 37M come standard with heat pump?
Iíve got heat pump option showing on the main touchpad - but nothing happens when pressed.
Trying to figure out best options for camping in cool-ish weather between furnace, fireplace, and heat pump (if we have it) Prefer using electricity over propane if I can!
Bonus question - if anyone can give a good explanation of the tank heaters and at what point we need to be using them would be appreciated!

Thanks!
Canadamike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2023, 11:54 AM   #2

Both a/c's should be Heat Pump units.
Old 09-13-2023, 01:16 PM   #3

Aha! Got the heat pumps going - thanks!
Old 09-13-2023, 03:20 PM   #4

I know the original question was about a 2022 but this might be useful for others that read this. Jayco was putting in 15k with heat pumps up to 2018.5 but in 2019-2021 went to 15K A/C w/heat pump & 13.5K A/C but then in 2022 went back to (2) 15,000 BTU A/C units with heat pumps. But this could also depend on what time of the year your coach was made and what was available during Covid years.

Rustynuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2023, 04:50 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadamike View Post
Hi All:
Bonus question - if anyone can give a good explanation of the tank heaters and at what point we need to be using them would be appreciated!

Thanks!
Unless something has changed I am unaware of separate tank heaters installed on a Seneca. Does your rig have a tank heater option in your display?

Most Senecas I am familiar with do have a furnace duct routed to the underbelly but not actual electrical heater pads. Jayco states Senecas are not "four-season" coaches, and reiterated that at the recent Seneca rally. Some of us have added additional insulation and supplemental heat to prolong the cold weather camping season, but as delivered you need to be careful of sustained sub-freezing temps.
Toads: 2019 Ford Edge ST or 2013 Ford Focus ST
Robbbyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2023, 10:44 AM   #6

Yup it does show on touchpad display - so wasn’t sure.
We definitely don’t plan on any true winter camping, but might find ourselves in situations where overnights dip below freezing.
Old 09-15-2023, 09:52 PM   #7

My 2022 37M has both 15K A/C with heat pumps. In addition, I have the tank heaters on the control pad and validated they were heated by pulling off the panels and finding the wiring on each tank. However, my first time in Colorado cold -5 degrees, the lines froze that were exposed near the hot water heater in the rear. I was able to buy small ceramic heaters to keep the wet bay and other lines from freezing, but even wrapped the lines running along the frame froze. I suppose you could put heat tape on them or try to re-route them.

The inside stayed nice and toasty, it is a shame that Jayco did not spend a few more dollars and make this a true four season. With that said, not sure I will purposely camp in the winter as coming back down the 13,000' pass with snow on the ground was not that fun.
2021 Jeep Grand Cherokee L
Jeepin Jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2023, 05:26 PM   #8

Can you tell me how you got them working? I turn mine on, they make a noise and that's about it. Also, Do both A/Cs come with heat pumps? 2022 RKGS.
patrickdoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2023, 06:16 PM   #9

I pressed heat pump option on pad with fan on “auto” - toggle to desired temperature, and hopefully away you go!
Only works with fan on auto for me though.
Old 10-25-2023, 10:06 PM   #10

As Jeepin Jason said, my 2022 37M has same tank heaters. Easy to see them on the bottom of the fresh water tank if you pull the panel off. I checked and confirmed they worked and warmed up when activated.
I also insulated the exposed line along the frame to the on demad water heater (may re-route someday), as well as the lines that run inside the wheel skirts to the kitchen side. Also, carry 2 ceramic heaters one in the basement area, and another in the wet bay. Very nice having a warm floor too. I've survived overnight lows of -2/3C, but thats about as cold as I've been through.
The heat pumps are not like residential full reversing refrigerant units. These are AC's with electric heater strips added. They work on chilly days, but not real well in -0 temps. I like the fireplace for the morning/evening chill and also the fact its silent if the wife is still sleeping or we're watching TV.
We're planning an cross Canada trip for 2025, so maybe cross paths.
Barxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2023, 10:35 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barxy View Post
The heat pumps are not like residential full reversing refrigerant units. These are AC's with electric heater strips added. They work on chilly days, but not real well in -0 temps.
The heat pumps units are indeed reversing refrigerant units. No electric heat strips. And they quit producing heat somewhere around 40 degrees Fahrenheit outside temperature.

From the Coleman-Mach FAQ section:
While both a heat pump and a heat strip are components that create heat within an AC unit, theyíre not interchangeable. An air conditioner with a heat pump is capable of reversing its cycle to draw heat from the environment and transfer it into the RV interior. As such, an AC unit with a heat pump is built with different components in the refrigerant circuit to reverse the flow of refrigerant. Heat pumps are built into the unit at the time of manufacturing, and they are not something that can be added on at a later date.
Toads: 2019 Ford Edge ST or 2013 Ford Focus ST
Robbbyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2023, 05:27 PM   #12

Thanks for the correction Robbbyr. As mentioned I have not used it much but on my original inspection I tried them and felt heat...just did not hear the compressor kick on so assumed the heat was from strips.
Still need to do the airflow mod this winter, so maybe then we will use it more with reduced noise, and better airflow.
Barxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2023, 11:51 AM   #13

I tried that and they just hum for a minute and shut off. No fans come on either. I reckon it's gonna be a trip to the roof to try and figure it out.