Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-16-2021, 09:47 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by 75462 View Post
When you mentioned that you can only run the steps by using the aux start button. That tells me you’ve lost chassis battery power to the BIM. Which has a breaker between chassis battery and BIM. By chance does the power cord reel and leveling jacks work?

Not sure the difference between a 2020 and 2022.
On mine chassis battery powers steps, jacks, cord reel and seat.

Sounds like my 2017 when the 100 amp manual reset Bussman fuse trips. On the 2017, it sits on top of the chassis batteries.
Kar Kaddy SS
javamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2021, 01:59 PM   #22

OK, sounds like CONVERTER WORKING, but wire leaving to goto Battery is protected EACH END; FUSE at CONVERTER End (usually 30/40a?) and 12vdc CIRCUIT BREAKER within 18" of battery; either/ both can blow/ trip, esp. if battery installed REVERSE POLARITY?
thenne1713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2021, 06:12 AM   #23

You can find them BIM by having someone press the button on the dash and follow the clicking sound. Ever time the battery dash button is pressed the relay in the BIM makes a click sound. That’s how the dealer found it on mine.
Old 08-20-2021, 10:54 AM   #24

Thank you

I’ll try that today. Thank you
Grumpy413 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2021, 12:54 PM   #25

Update

Oh for all of you that are following this thread here is the update

The BMI is concealed in enclosed bay aft of the battery box. It is concealed behind a nicely carpeted panel.

I found a blown 5 amp fuse which was for the stairs and hose reel. Tested and replaced no further issues. The 80 amp breaker was also popped. The wiring diagram affixed to the back of the cover board show this to be for the converter. I reset this breaker and it pops with in a few mins. Replaced on ground wire on the relay which did not appear to be tight and starts the truck the house batteries are now able to charge from the truck.
Attached Thumbnails
F90F7D01-F9E3-490F-8C7C-45914912A6D4.jpg   136A818D-385A-4D50-8CEC-BB3ED6DBACC1.jpg  
Old 08-22-2021, 01:00 PM   #26

I RECOMMEND THAT YOU DOUBLE/ TRIPLE CHECK THAT BATTERY NOT INSTALLED W/ REVERSE POLARITY, re: 80a
thenne1713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2021, 03:09 PM   #27

Batteries checked

Batteries match this diagram sent to me by Jayco
Attached Thumbnails
4E719E45-4B4E-4377-98F3-9AE2D1D36AB9.jpg  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 0126653_-_1-4_042321.pdf (354.9 KB, 14 views)
Old 08-22-2021, 03:17 PM   #28

2022 new unit

This is a brand new unit but it could have a bad battery but they did test good but low because they have not been charging.

It’s under warranty and I am trying to get a mobile RV tech approved to come to me to change the converter.

Any Mobile Techs in South East Florida?
Old 08-22-2021, 10:41 PM   #29

Interesting thread. 21Accolade 37K here. I can’t believe how the wiring in these rigs that should be similar, are so different from each other. Almost seems like Jayco throws a bunch of parts at the production crew and lets them do as they please…and my wiring is a rats nest in batt box and under bed too.
My BIM is in batt box as Rusty showed. Which brings up a question. Do you all hear the BIM engage/disengage many times a day?
When on shore power, House bank is always pretty steady at ~13.3 or so, chassis bank is usually ~12.6-12.8 range, when I open a cab door, all those incandescent dome lights draw the chassis bank down enough that the BIM links both banks. After chassis volts come up it unlinks. I think I’ll change all those door/dome lights to LED.
Also did not know that cord reel and jacks run on chassis bank. I have some drawings, guess I need to get more from the factory.
I learn something new every day here. This forum is awesome.
Firewrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2021, 05:00 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firewrench View Post
Interesting thread. 21Accolade 37K here. I can’t believe how the wiring in these rigs that should be similar, are so different from each other. Almost seems like Jayco throws a bunch of parts at the production crew and lets them do as they please…and my wiring is a rats nest in batt box and under bed too.
My BIM is in batt box as Rusty showed. Which brings up a question. Do you all hear the BIM engage/disengage many times a day?
When on shore power, House bank is always pretty steady at ~13.3 or so, chassis bank is usually ~12.6-12.8 range, when I open a cab door, all those incandescent dome lights draw the chassis bank down enough that the BIM links both banks. After chassis volts come up it unlinks. I think I’ll change all those door/dome lights to LED.
Also did not know that cord reel and jacks run on chassis bank. I have some drawings, guess I need to get more from the factory.
I learn something new every day here. This forum is awesome.
The BIM monitors the battery voltage of both the chassis and coach batteries over long periods of time. If it senses a charging voltage, it connects the two batteries together. If the charging system is drastically overburdened, the batteries will be isolated, however, if the BIM sees a long term charging of both batteries it will allow the batteries to remain connected and allow the charging system to do its job. Once the batteries have charged for one hour, the BIM will isolate the batteries to prevent overcharging, and will only reconnect the batteries for charging if one of the batteries drops to approximately 80% charge, and the other is being charged. This long term monitoring of the batteries prevents the annoying relay clicking that exists in simpler isolation modules today. The BIM does not guarantee 100% battery charge, but prevents harmful battery charge levels.
75462 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2021, 07:52 AM   #31

I agree on wiring

I totally concur with you regarding the wiring. Even when I contacted the Jayco customer service people, who are most helpful in every way, they told me that the BIM was located in the battery box. I finally sent them a video showing that it was not in the battery box and this seem to stump even them their reply was they would have to get with a tech and call me back.

Someone on here recommended that I push the auxiliary start button and listen for the clicking sound that would help me find the BIM. So, with three guys under and around the truck my wife pushed the auxiliary start button and bingo we found a concealed compartment.

The compartment was nicely built and carpeted to match the interior of the basement storage compartment. I never saw it even thought I was in that compartment several times.

Inside the compartment I found six automotive fuses the BIM and several breakers and a solenoid. I found one blown five amp automotive fuse which is for the power reel and the stairs. I tested the wiring to make sure there was not a chassis short, I then replace the fuse and now the stairs and power reel work fine. There have been no further issues in that area.

The 80 amp circuit breaker which was blown shows in the diagrams as being for the converter. I checked the batteries and made sure that they were wired correctly and that they matched the diagram sent to me by Jayco. I have checked the wires between the BIM and the converter and have not found a chassis short. So, at this point I’m thinking its a bad converter.

I found a loose ground wire on the BIM, just like Rusty told me I would, I repaired that loose wire and now the house batteries are charging when the truck motor is running.

I have to admit that I am totally confused as to why Jayco would put automotive fuses behind that concealed compartment without marking their location somewhere. Even another tech would have to search as I have done to locate the compartment.

I also found at least three other in-line automotive fuses during my search under the truck. One is located directly below the stairs which in this case was not blown which added to my confusion.

Again I want to thank all of you on this forum for your assistance in this matter
Old 08-23-2021, 08:35 AM   #32

When I was moving the Schwintek controller, I showed the wife the mass of tangled wires under the bed. Told her I think I have a new hobby, making sense of the mess. She thinks I have better ways to spend my time. I’ll keep working on her. Maybe I’ll work on it some when I get bored this winter when we’re out boondocking. I’m stocking up my tray of terminals…
Old 08-23-2021, 08:41 AM   #33

Good Luck

I just got off the phone with the guy at Jayco. I sent him the pictures of the concealed compartment and he was like wow when did we start doing this!

All the wires under my bed are in a wire loom
Old 08-23-2021, 09:16 AM   #34

Some of mine are loomed, most are not. In some places there is loom over loom…huh? I can almost hear it. “Use it all kid, we don’t want it back!”
Just like the furnace ducting. 8 feet too much, all wadded up.