Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-13-2021, 06:12 AM   #1

2022 inverter question

2022 37 K I’m plugged in 15 amp 110 volts and the inverter shows only bypass to load not charging the batteries. The couch batteries at now showing under 12 volts. I started the generator and it still doesn’t show batteries charging.
Nothing is on but the fridge no lights,fans ect. I guesss the inverter is on but nothing else.
What am I doing wrong
Xantrex Freedom X inverter
Grumpy413 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2021, 08:23 AM   #2

Inverter / Converter

Not familiar with your system, generic advice, but check for a blown converter fuse or tripped breaker.
Inverter =12VDC to 115VAC to run AC loads
Converter= 115AC to 12VDC to charge batteries / run DC circuits.
Some units do both, yours may be one. As I stated, not sure of your model.
Side note.. !Yay! Another Grumpy!
TS3 Hitch
Ms says I'm full of useless knowledge and other stuff...
ARoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2021, 09:26 AM   #3

Red face I have looked for my BMI but have not found it yet

I have opened the battery compartment that’s is were my main battery disconnect is located but I don’t see a BMI. I checked all the connections and everything appears tight.

I started the truck and the batteries charged off the alternator generator still running don’t appear to be charging batteries.

Of course we are awaiting the arrival of tropical storm FRED so working on it tonight might not be in the cards.

My DW just called to tell me that now the power stairs are not working either so the plot thickens
Old 08-13-2021, 10:29 AM   #4

I had the same problem on a trip. The CONVERTER isn't working.

In my case, the converter had to be replaced - it had a blown capacitor. Yours may just have a blown fuse or need reset.

The converter is the unit the interior circuit breakers are all mounted to. In my 37L it is located at the foot of the bed. It is definitely an interior item.
EricM22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2021, 01:31 PM   #5

I would first check for loose or broken grounds at the rear of the chassis, this is what caused our converter to not charge.

https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...ing-57410.html

Also go through the test procedures to see if the charger is working in the converter.

https://www.progressivedyn.com/wp-co...LESHOOTING.pdf

Rustynuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2021, 01:52 PM   #6

Flip the converter circuit breaker off and then back on. The converter is located in the lower part of the electrical box. There is a light that flashes on periodically while it is operating. There are also 4 reverse polarity fuses that are on 12 volt side. See picture of where the unit is located. Assuming here that they have not changed the power supply box.

The inverter uses 12 volt dc power and changes it to 110 v ac. the converter takes 110vac and converts it into 12 volt dc. Since your batteries are not charging when on shore or gen it is a converter issue. Ie blown fuses,circuit breakers tripped ,no power getting to it, converter blown etc.

Assuming you have 110 power at your outlets, it doesn’t charge on shore power or generator you can hold off on suspecting the auto transfer switch until you investigate the converter.

The BIM is between the chassis and the house side so it really doesn’t have any thing to do with the converter supply to the batteries.

I would check the polarity fuses and see if the converter is receiving power and then troubleshoot from there.

As rustynuts mentioned ground issues are huge source of problems with these units.
Attached Thumbnails
BA51B747-5891-4C10-A622-AFB644D1342A.jpg  
RVermont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2021, 12:07 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy413 View Post
2022 37 K I’m plugged in 15 amp 110 volts and the inverter shows only bypass to load not charging the batteries. The couch batteries at now showing under 12 volts. I started the generator and it still doesn’t show batteries charging.
Nothing is on but the fridge no lights,fans ect. I guesss the inverter is on but nothing else.
What am I doing wrong
Xantrex Freedom X inverter
Is the main power switch on. The inverter will work with the switch off but batteries will not charge.
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2021, 01:57 PM   #8

Yes peer switch on

Testing converter showed 13.75 volts at converter positive. Green light is flashing converter fans not running
Attached Thumbnails
4D254591-B321-4081-A89A-802352BE45A7.jpg  
Old 08-14-2021, 02:10 PM   #9

Reading with gen

Here are the readings with the generator running
Attached Thumbnails
644CC63F-1869-4B6E-9D60-024130E43C30.jpg  
Old 08-14-2021, 02:15 PM   #10

All the fuses and breakers test good

All of the fuses and breakers test good I have reset the converter breaker several times with no results

I’m thinking it is a bad converter?
I have checked every ground wire under the truck
Open for suggestions
Old 08-14-2021, 03:10 PM   #11

Question Rusty

I went out again and crawled all over under the truck and I don’t see any broken ground wires in the back. When it’s not raining I’ll recheck the wires at the batteries. Could it be a bad ground at the batteries?

After checking the troubleshooting paper work it looks like the converter maybe working
Old 08-14-2021, 09:26 PM   #12

I had the exact same problem only it stopped working while I was in the coach. In my case, the large capacitor in the converter blew. I'm an electrical engineer and I recognized the smell and started looking around immediately in the electronics bay under the bed. I shut everything down and pulled the converter out and sure enough, it was fried. The capacitor was in several pieces along with some other circuitry. Had to bring it in to get it replaced. Fortunately, it was covered by the warranty. I thought it was a one-off manufacturing problem I've now heard this happening a few times now! I think they have a design issue that needs to be addressed. Anyway, good luck!
LouPiloco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2021, 08:09 AM   #13

I am thinking the same thing

After two days of testing and looking for broken ground wires I am beginning to think you are correct.

Everything in the coach appears to be working on shore power and genny. The only two issues seem to be that the batteries will not charge and the stairs will not go in and out. There is no power at the stair motor. I am searching for the reset that I was told is in the battery box area but no luck yet. I got them in using the trick of pushing the button by the ignition. Took the truck out for a two hour drive and the house batteries did not charge.

I can say one thing Jayco could improve in their wire management under the truck. I found several inline fuse under the truck that the average consumer would never find. There is even a 7 amp fuse for the stairs under the stairs by the motor. It’s good by the way
Old 08-15-2021, 08:59 AM   #14

Grumpy there was a thread about the breaker that I think Rustynuts,MD3 or Slopoke one of the other members had about the breaker reset. Mine was acting almost the same, no power to steps, batteries not charging, legs showing low voltage, radio not working…it was my breaker. Mine is a M2 chassis and the breaker is on the cab batteries. I believe your breaker is on the ceiling of the battery cabinet.
Hope this thread helps.
https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...tml#post693149
BIGPAPA1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2021, 09:08 AM   #15

Quote:
After two days of testing and looking for broken ground wires I am beginning to think you are correct.

Everything in the coach appears to be working on shore power and genny. The only two issues seem to be that the batteries will not charge and the stairs will not go in and out. There is no power at the stair motor. I am searching for the reset that I was told is in the battery box area but no luck yet. I got them in using the trick of pushing the button by the ignition. Took the truck out for a two hour drive and the house batteries did not charge.

I can say one thing Jayco could improve in their wire management under the truck. I found several inline fuse under the truck that the average consumer would never find. There is even a 7 amp fuse for the stairs under the stairs by the motor. It’s good by the way
When you mentioned that you can only run the steps by using the aux start button. That tells me you’ve lost chassis battery power to the BIM. Which has a breaker between chassis battery and BIM. By chance does the power cord reel and leveling jacks work?

Not sure the difference between a 2020 and 2022.
On mine chassis battery powers steps, jacks, cord reel and seat.
75462 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2021, 11:30 AM   #16

Cord reel is not working either

The cord reel is not working either. I have not located the BMI yet. Some one sent me a picture of their wiring, much better job that mine, I located two of the poles with the red caps but they don’t appear to be breakers no flags showing or buttons that I can see I’ll take a picture and post them later.

Does anyone know where I might find this allusive BMI hidden at ??
Old 08-15-2021, 11:54 AM   #17

Quote:
The cord reel is not working either. I have not located the BMI yet. Some one sent me a picture of their wiring, much better job that mine, I located two of the poles with the red caps but they don’t appear to be breakers no flags showing or buttons that I can see I’ll take a picture and post them later.

Does anyone know where I might find this allusive BMI hidden at ??
The breaker may be self resetting and have no buttons or levers. He is a picture of the BIM and the breaker on my 2020.
Attached Thumbnails
BCE6CD32-7705-468A-80E1-B7DDD3A6438D.jpg   00949635-5229-493C-87D2-140D080BAE24.jpg  
75462 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2021, 04:21 PM   #18

I have found a breaker that looks like your

Ok I found the breaker that looks like yours. I cannot find the BMI anywhere under the truck or in the battery box area. I’m wondering if it’s under the bed or maybe in the engine compartment.

Rusty has been a great help and after a lot data exchange I have reached out to the converter manufacturer for some assistance. This is new unit and under warranty, it’s also the new model that can charge both types of batteries which is good to know if I put lithium batteries in.

Again thank everyone for your help I’ll let you know about the outcome.
Old 08-15-2021, 07:55 PM   #19

Maybe the BIM is under the rear bed

I wondering if the BIM could be housed under the bed closer to the converter?
It’s like a scavenger hunt. I can’t stop looking for it now I’m so intrigued with we’re they might have hidden it
Lol
Old 08-15-2021, 10:07 PM   #20

Quote:
I wondering if the BIM could be housed under the bed closer to the converter?
It’s like a scavenger hunt. I can’t stop looking for it now I’m so intrigued with we’re they might have hidden it
Lol
Every BIM I have ever seen has been in the battery compartment, near the batteries. The S2 chassis usually hit mounted on the right side of the battery compartment as you are facing it. It should look like this.
Attached Thumbnails
13A95489-27E8-475D-A161-B6F81B0069AE.jpg  

Rustynuts is offline   Reply With Quote