Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-04-2022, 11:33 AM   #1

2022 Jayco/Accolade GoPower Solar Controller

The factory installed GoPower solar system has never worked since we have owned our 2022 37K due to a bad cable between the controller and the Firefly system. The part finally came in and the dealer installed it however they didn’t put in the correct parameters for the batteries so it thinks they are fully charged at 12.5volts and go into float mode. Can someone that has a functioning GoPower system give me the correct parameters? It would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

2022 Entegra Accolade 37K
2022 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
GibbysWorld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2022, 08:11 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by GibbysWorld View Post
The factory installed GoPower solar system has never worked since we have owned our 2022 37K due to a bad cable between the controller and the Firefly system. The part finally came in and the dealer installed it however they didn’t put in the correct parameters for the batteries so it thinks they are fully charged at 12.5volts and go into float mode. Can someone that has a functioning GoPower system give me the correct parameters? It would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Do you mean the 5 pages on the configuration screen? PM me your email and I'll screenshot each of them for you.
TheNextChapter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2022, 09:40 PM   #3

One thing you may want to check is whether they’ve wired the batteries correctly as they didn’t on mine. According to the GoPower charge controller manual, Battery 1 is supposed to be for the house batteries and Battery 2 is the chassis batteries. It’ll fully charge Battery 1 based on the charging parameters you’re trying to set and then switch to charging Battery 2.

Doing some testing based on voltages (I drew down the house batteries by turning off the AC at the pedestal and turned a lot of 12V and inverter-powered items on), I discovered that the house batteries were being measured on the correct input on the Firefly unit itself, but were connected to Battery 2 on the solar controller. I then verified it by tracing wires to the battery terminals (red tape was on my house battery wires on both ends). So, it was charging my chassis batteries first and then charging the house batteries, contrary to the manual.

Also note that the battery levels and charging status shown under the GoPower section on the Firefly panel are for whatever battery is currently selected in the configuration screen. It takes a few seconds for the settings and battery levels to change after selecting the other battery.
Old 03-07-2022, 12:24 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNextChapter View Post
Do you mean the 5 pages on the configuration screen? PM me your email and I'll screenshot each of them for you.
I would be interested in what those settings should be also as I'm not sure how to tell if they were correct from the factory.
GollyGwiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2022, 12:43 PM   #5

PM me your email and i will send you the screenshots as well.

Happy to help!
2004 Jeep Liberty
TheNextChapter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2022, 03:17 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by GollyGwiz View Post
I would be interested in what those settings should be also as I'm not sure how to tell if they were correct from the factory.
Unfortunately these were the same settings I had so it’s something more than just settings for it not working correctly. With 12.4 volts in the house batteries the solar was only pulling in 7 watts during full sun on Saturday. I think the GoPower controller is bad.
Old 03-07-2022, 09:06 PM   #7

2022 Jayco/Accolade GoPower Solar Controller

Quote:
Originally Posted by GibbysWorld View Post
Unfortunately these were the same settings I had so it’s something more than just settings for it not working correctly. With 12.4 volts in the house batteries the solar was only pulling in 7 watts during full sun on Saturday. I think the GoPower controller is bad.

I read this earlier and just had a thought.. If you haven’t tested and ruled it out already, it could be the solar panel, not the controller. If it were me, I’d remove the solar wires from the controller so I can test it while on the ground.

Since there’s plenty of videos on the topic, I’ll just provide this link as it’s relatively short and to the point:

The Voc of the GoPower 190W (Overlander) panel is 24.09V and the Imp is 9.45A. Ref: https://gpelectric.com/products/over...-expansion-kit

It could also be a dirty or obscured panel, so I’d at least take a look at the panel on the roof to ensure it’s in good sun, it’s clean and there’s no packing, protective film or anything causing lower output. If it doesn’t test well on the ground, you may want to then test it at the roof to confirm whether it’s the panel or the leads between them.

I’d also recommend reconnecting the panels (and battery wires) to the solar controller using ferrules. Several of my wires were jammed in there, weren’t making good contact and I’m surprised there wasn’t a short or anything. I cleaned them up (cut and re-stripped) as necessary and added a ferrule to each one. Looks much more professional and makes a much more solid connection now.

Since mine was wired with 8ga wire (as read from the wire jacket), I used these ferrules:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01I7X6FM8

And a crimper no longer sold, but came from a set like this one:
https://www.amazon.com/do/B06XCZC89W
Old 03-07-2022, 09:30 PM   #8

A few days after we got it home in January I noticed the controller wouldn’t light up showing the panel was charging. I tested out the panel itself at the roof and it was showing 23 or so volts with mostly full sun and that’s how I discovered there was an issue with either the wiring or controller. The dealer replaced the cable going from the controller to the firefly system and that at least shows the GoPower system sort of running but it’s weird. It will show 22/23 volts coming in but only 7 watts at its peak and it would show the batteries in float at 14.1 volts within the GoPower menu which seemed right but the Firefly system would show the batteries were only charged to 12.4 volts. I just don’t know how it could be so different. I should have looked at what the Xantrex inverter showed at the time but didn’t think about it then…was really confused at the difference. My next plan of attack is to check the wiring connection under the junction box on the roof. Several have said Jayco didn’t do a good job connecting the wires their so maybe that’s the case here. Not sure why it would show any volts/watts on the firefly screen tho if wires are messed up tho. If that’s a no go, on our last motorhome I installed 3 panels for 640 watts and had a Victron controller. It was a much better system and if I can’t figure it out I will most likely swap the GoPower controller for a Victron.

2022 Entegra Accolade 37K
2022 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Old 03-20-2022, 12:59 PM   #9

For those with a working factory installed solar system - in full sun how many watts does your screen say it's receiving? In full sun, mine says about 30-40 watts and 20-24 volts. I feel like that's really low watts. Also, went up to the roof and found the positive was plugged in the negative and vice versa. I did'nt want to change that incase the backwards wiring was intentional due to it being reversed somewhere else, so the installer just reversed it on the roof to make it the same. Anyone know what would happen if you reverse plugged the panels into the solar outlet?
TridentAccolade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2022, 06:22 AM   #10

Just remember that for the power to be generated, something has to consume it directly (e.g, lights, furnace or 120V via inverter) or store it (batteries). At the top of the charge cycle, lead acid based batteries just don’t charge at anything like the rate when they’re lower (like at 50%). Also, if you’re plugged into shore power or driving, you’re now trying to charge with two sources cutting the current from your solar which does go to the batteries in half as they just can’t accept it any faster.

I was seeing around 40 watts from my single GoPower panel during a very overcast bit yesterday. So, if your batteries are drawn down enough, nothing is directly consuming it, and you’re not connected to shore power or driving, that does seem pretty low for full mid-day sun.
Old 03-21-2022, 09:00 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by TridentAccolade View Post
For those with a working factory installed solar system - in full sun how many watts does your screen say it's receiving? In full sun, mine says about 30-40 watts and 20-24 volts. I feel like that's really low watts. Also, went up to the roof and found the positive was plugged in the negative and vice versa. I did'nt want to change that incase the backwards wiring was intentional due to it being reversed somewhere else, so the installer just reversed it on the roof to make it the same. Anyone know what would happen if you reverse plugged the panels into the solar outlet?

Last week while in Orange Beach AL it showed 99.5 watts with the single stock 190W panel. That is the highest I’ve seen it hit this winter. Has normally been in that 30-40 range with the lower sun.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5441.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	44.6 KB
ID:	79886
GollyGwiz is offline   Reply With Quote