Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-11-2022, 06:33 PM   #1

2022 Seneca on 1st Mountain trip

I'm on my first trip into the mountains of North Carolina 22 Jayco Seneca towing a half ton Dodge made it up the mountain just fine a little slower but fine getting a little worried about the drive back down thought maybe some of you guys with more experience could give me some tips anything would be appreciated

Thanks in advance
Cornpop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2022, 06:50 PM   #2

Make sure you press the mode button. That really helps the shift points. I run my 2022 37M with the mode button on all the time.

I live in Denver area (home elevation is at 6,200') so all of our trips are in the mountains are require traveling through them. We have been over all of the 12,000' passes without any issues. The fan kicks on when the temps get up and I back off if needed so that the temps never get too hot. Going downhill, just make sure the engine/exhaust brake is on and again, take your time.
2021 Jeep Grand Cherokee L
Jeepin Jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2022, 07:12 PM   #3

Exclamation

On downhill sections as mentioned, make sure the exhaust brake is "ON". Many of us run with it on all the time.

Don't "ride" the brakes constantly, you have drum brakes and that can cause them to heat up excessively and you could risk brake fade. If the exhaust brake is not controlling your speed enough, apply the brakes and slow to about 5mph below the speed you're trying to maintain. Then get off the brakes and let it coast for a bit. Repeat as necessary to maintain a safe speed. Give them a bit of time to cool between applications. This is known as "snubbing".

When using the exhaust brake, your rig is "smart" enough that when you start downhill and just lightly apply the brakes you will likely feel the transmission downshift. That is normal, it is doing that to assist the exhaust brake in controlling your speed.
Toads: 2019 Ford Edge ST or 2013 Ford Focus ST
Robbbyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2022, 08:11 PM   #4

Jeeping Jason mode button?
Old 04-11-2022, 08:12 PM   #5

I've seen it on my dash but I don't know what the heck it does
Old 04-11-2022, 08:24 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornpop View Post
Your transmission has two shifting "modes" built-in. They are an "Economy" shifting mode and a "Performance" shifting mode. The performance mode will improve your acceleration and hill climbing ability by allowing the engine "wind out" a bit more and downshift sooner on upgrades to help you maintain your speed.

You must push the "Mode" button in the shift pad after you start the rig to engage the performance mode. The rig on startup always defaults to "Economy" mode. You can press the button while moving to either engage Performance mode or to take it back to Economy mode. You do not have to be stopped.

Another owner on here posted some videos from Allison explaining how this works, as well as additional features your transmission shift pad provides. I will try to find them and provide a link.
Old 04-11-2022, 08:32 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornpop View Post
A link to some helpful videos:

https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...eos-89787.html
Old 04-11-2022, 09:15 PM   #8

bro thanks
Old 04-11-2022, 09:42 PM   #9

Drive the NC, VA, WV mountains quite often. Performance mode for the assent. Downshift and exhaust brake for the descent.

The only problem I have is one TireMinder TPMS sensor goes nuts with false alarms at higher elevations.

As a note, cruise control will not start braking and downshift until the actual speed is 10 MPH higher than the set speed. Be mindful of that when starting a long descent. This came out at a Cummins seminar last summer.
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2022, 11:21 AM   #10

Everyone beat me to the punch on the mode button explanation. I run with it all of the time.

I don't typically run the cruise control going down longer grades. I have been surprised at how well the cruise control works on smaller rolling hills in keeping the speed.
2021 Jeep Grand Cherokee L
Jeepin Jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2022, 11:41 AM   #11

The Freightliner chassis is very good at holding speed on a descent with the exhaust brake on. It’s really aggressive in downshifting. At times a little too much but that’s ok. I look forward to going down Wolf Creek pass in south eastern Colorado this summer and see how it compares with our previous motorhome, a Tiffin class A gas when we did it last summer. It was a little tense as it’s a very long descent of about 6-7 miles at 6-7% grade and the fun part is the hairpin turns along the way.

2022 Entegra Accolade 37K
2022 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
GibbysWorld is offline   Reply With Quote