Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-26-2019, 11:11 PM   #1

2015 Seneca Engine running hot

Yesterday, I was stopped at a pullout between Anchorage and Tok. I left the engine idling while I let my dog out. When I got back, I noticed the engine temp was slightly up. It usually runs at about 192 degrees but was up to 198. I set there a little longer watching it and it climbed up to 208.
That’s when I decided to get back on the road to see if that would cool it back down. It got back around 192 pretty quickly.
Unfortunately the route had a good bit of road construction and I noticed if I put it in park while I waited, the temp seemed to hold at around 200, but when traffic started moving, it was pretty slow, and the temp started climbing again. The highest it ever reached was 219 but it’s never done this before.
Coolant level is good, oil level is good, trans fluid is low so I’ll be adding some in the morning.
Any thoughts on this?
GJegstrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 12:49 AM   #2

When it reached 219, did you notice (hear) your fan engage? About 175-195 is normal for water temp. 225 is max. Around 210 fan should engage if not sooner and will cool things quickly.

2014 Seneca 37FS
2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited
AaronL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 01:00 AM   #3

The original owner installed a remote control for kicking the fan on, and I guess off. I’m the morning before I get back on the road, I’m going to play with the remote and watch the fan.
My BlueFire gauge shows fan running at 100% all the time but that doesn’t sound right.
Old 07-27-2019, 04:54 AM   #4

Just using the temperature gauge, our 2015/16 Seneca will kick on when temp is above 200 and kick off when it get below that. In Summer temps on the Interstate at 80 to 100 degrees, this will happen if traffic gets slow. A little unnerving when it kicks on the first time, but you get used to it. Keep your hands away from the fan blades, if the engine is running. That fan can kick on at any time.
2016 Jayco Seneca 37FS
2016 Chevrolet Traverse
2018 Cheverolet Silverado
rgolding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 05:31 AM   #5

Mine runs at 190, when it reaches 208 the fan comes on and the temp quickly returns to 190. This usually happens on climbs on hot days. It will be right under 200 when in traffic.

On mine, there is no question about when the fan comes on. You know, it sounds like an airplane motor and I’ve never seen a fan work as quickly. It drops from 208 to 190 in seconds and then turns off. My scan gauge gives me the precise temperature so there are no surprises.
Mark S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 12:10 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by GJegstrup View Post
The original owner installed a remote control for kicking the fan on, and I guess off. I’m the morning before I get back on the road, I’m going to play with the remote and watch the fan.
My BlueFire gauge shows fan running at 100% all the time but that doesn’t sound right.
This is a first for me... why install an override for the fan?

To me, when the fan is needed, it should be on -
and when the fan should be off, it should be off -
07 Toyota FJC & Yamaha Kodiak 400 ATV

SloPoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 02:36 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S View Post
Mine runs at 190, when it reaches 208 the fan comes on and the temp quickly returns to 190. This usually happens on climbs on hot days. It will be right under 200 when in traffic.

On mine, there is no question about when the fan comes on. You know, it sounds like an airplane motor and I’ve never seen a fan work as quickly. It drops from 208 to 190 in seconds and then turns off. My scan gauge gives me the precise temperature so there are no surprises.

I have the exact same situation with ours.

Rustynuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 08:06 PM   #8

My 2017 also warms up when stopped at a light. When i start out again the clutch fan will come on for a short time.

@017 rb
whporwil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 09:36 AM   #9

I found a Cummins shop in Whitehorse, Yukon Territory so I guess I’ll park in town a few days and get this looked at.
Crossing the border from Alaska to Canada, there was a long line and the temp got up to 223 before I had to pull over to be searched. Fortunately that gave it plenty of cool down time and I didn’t run into any more slow downs before getting here.
Maybe this shop can also tell me the purpose of the remote fan control.
Old 07-29-2019, 06:56 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by GJegstrup View Post
I found a Cummins shop in Whitehorse, Yukon Territory so I guess I’ll park in town a few days and get this looked at.
Crossing the border from Alaska to Canada, there was a long line and the temp got up to 223 before I had to pull over to be searched. Fortunately that gave it plenty of cool down time and I didn’t run into any more slow downs before getting here.
Maybe this shop can also tell me the purpose of the remote fan control.
That's funny, same thing happened to us last summer. Jacks down slides out go sit in the office. An hour later they were done. Broke my head board but only because it was a bad design to start with.

whiporwil
whporwil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 12:32 PM   #11

Good news! My fan problem was that POS remote controller the original owner installed. The solenoid was bad so it wasn’t allowing the fan to kick on. The tech bypassed the solenoid and fan works great. I’ll be removing the rest of that remote control thing later.
Old 07-30-2019, 02:52 PM   #12

Glad you got it resolved and thanks for letting everyone know.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote