Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-29-2022, 12:31 PM   #1

5 Star Tunes

Hello,
Has anyone tuned their Rig with 5 Star Tunes? I have a Jayco Redhawk with a E-450 and notice it doesn't have a lot of power and when coming down a steep road the transmission doesn't shift properly and the engine reves really high. Rig only has 10k miles on it and this drives me nuts. Just wondering if someone has any experience with their mods and performance improvements.
Ramorton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2022, 02:56 PM   #2

I installed the tune, didn't like the new shift points, removed it and sold it. Shifting was too solid for my taste and I was concerned about damaging the transmission. No noticeable power gain.
Old 09-30-2022, 04:41 AM   #3

I put it on our 2019 Georgetown 36d7 38 ft Class A. They had a preinstalled program that gave great shift points and better response when giving it the gas. Great people to talk to- give them a call, I was totally satisfied.
Harleys house is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2022, 07:32 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramorton View Post
Hello,
Has anyone tuned their Rig with 5 Star Tunes? I have a Jayco Redhawk with a E-450 and notice it doesn't have a lot of power and when coming down a steep road the transmission doesn't shift properly and the engine reves really high. Rig only has 10k miles on it and this drives me nuts. Just wondering if someone has any experience with their mods and performance improvements.

When you are going downhill on a steep grade, the reason the engine revs high and the transmission shifts down is due to the computerized auto braking\downshifting aspect that is designed to maintain a safe speed downhill and to keep you from riding your brakes excessively. This doesn't change with the tune and while it is louder due to the engine rpms, it is a good thing.

I have the tune and highly recommend it, I have more power and it is so much easier to maintain high gear without constant hunting in and out of overdrive. However, mine is the 5 speed transmission so with the newer 6 speed transmission, the OD shifting in and out may not be an issue like on the 5 speed transmissions. ~CA
Old 09-30-2022, 01:12 PM   #5

Quote:
Hello,
Did you try to manually shift your rig? That way you decide when it needs to shift instead of letting the transmission decide. On my 2022 F-350, I can shift from "D" to "M" and use the -/+ on the shifter to manually shift it. It's night and day difference. Also, it doesn't shift down when going downhill and over rev the engine.
2022 F350 Lariat Premium Stone grey CCLB SRW 7.3 4:30*
2022 Bronco Sport Outer Banks
mkrenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2022, 10:20 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkrenn View Post
Did you try to manually shift your rig?
In between this - manual shifting, using Tow-Haul and the brake...
I'm able to go up and down the mountains here.

If a downshift sends my revs soaring about 4000, I brake hard to drop my speed and revs back to 2500 and the keep moving.
Old 10-02-2022, 12:31 AM   #7

I'm on the fence on getting one but it's on my list to buy.
Big1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2022, 01:58 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by pconroy View Post
In between this - manual shifting, using Tow-Haul and the brake...
I'm able to go up and down the mountains here.

If a downshift sends my revs soaring about 4000, I brake hard to drop my speed and revs back to 2500 and the keep moving.
If your using "M" on the shift lever, it will not downshift unless you come to a dead stop. It will only shift when you use the up and down button.
2022 F350 Lariat Premium Stone grey CCLB SRW 7.3 4:30*
2022 Bronco Sport Outer Banks
mkrenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2022, 05:40 PM   #9
CAG

Quote:
Hello,

Use the search feature to find past threads (and there are several) with discussions on this topic.

but it won't over rev if you are in tow/haul and even out of that it will go to "limp mode" before it allows the engine to damage itself.

When you fool with setting, as a man who built programs for various vehicle told me, you destroy a small part of the engine with every trip. Perhaps not major damage, but small damage that will eventually show up.

I have never found a power problem with my 450, and in-fact am pretty happy with it pulling itself and the Jeep on some pretty steep Arizona mountain climbs. In Tow-Haul coming down mountain grades it shifts to keep me at 55 and I never have to worry about it doing what it is expected to do.

So, bottom line is, it is doing exactly what the factory set it up to do and if you start fooling with it, well, a new engine, or transmission is pretty expensive.

Quote:
Again, the computer will not let that happen. It will go to limp mode or downshift on its own but it will NOT let it damage the engine.

CAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2022, 10:15 AM   #10
CAG

https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...une-84569.html

CAG is offline   Reply With Quote