Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-05-2017, 05:01 AM   #1

Air Brake Drain and TPMS

Now that I have the Seneca home new questions keep me up at night. Actually I slept better last night than in weeks

I asked my technician at the PDI where is the valve to drain the brakes and he couldn't find. He called over another tech who crawled under it and said there is no manual drain, only an automatic drain. Huh? Can this be?

Also, I want to add a TPMS to the coach tires as well as the toad. Looking at the rear dual wheels I don't see how I can put the sensor caps on without valve extensions. Do you use TPMS on the coach?
Mark S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 05:43 AM   #2

Regarding the TPMS, I had the dealer install rigid metal valve extensions on the rear inner wheels that poke through the outer wheel slot. Now all four valves are easily accessible for airing up and attaching the TPMS sensors. I do not recommend the flexible valve extensions based on previous experience.
Crossingover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 09:26 AM   #3

Mark, yes they are automatic drains. As far as TPMS we have EzzTire T515, so far no issues. I installed them on the Seneca, but not on the toad yet. I have to have metal air stems installed first. There are several other TPMS systems that are available, I guess whatever one you feel comfortable with will work.

regards
ed
Attached Thumbnails
EzzTire.jpg  
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
2019 Silverado High Country 4x4 Crew Cab
Australian Cattle dogs Zan & Tre
ed4ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 11:14 AM   #4

Forgot to mention I use the Tire Minder system. Thinking of getting their flow through adapters to make the transmitter installation semi-permanent. Scored extra transmitters on Craigslist for the full 10-wheel setup. Very pleased with this system.
Crossingover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 12:01 PM   #5

Yesterday I installed the new TireMinder system that uses bluetooth and allows me to use my Android to monitor the app instead of having another dedicated monitor in the cockpit. I love it! I followed Robbbyr's install advise in

http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f5...eca-39129.html

The 3/4 heater hose trick is cool and I had the inner wheels installed in 30 seconds.
javamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 03:41 PM   #6

Mark here is a picture of the automatic moisture release valve. As it states on it you can drain it manually by carefully pushing on the pin.

regards

ed
Attached Thumbnails
Moisture Valve.jpg  
Old 05-05-2017, 04:21 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed4ster View Post
Mark here is a picture of the automatic moisture release valve. As it states on it you can drain it manually by carefully pushing on the pin.

regards

ed
Thank you. I will have to get my creeper our and look for it. Is there a need to manually drain or does the auto drain work well enough?
Old 05-05-2017, 06:41 PM   #8

Mark if I remember correctly there is one of these drains on each end of your air tanks. I have not seen any water come out when I pushed the pin. Living in humid northern Alabama I would have expected to see at least a wisp of something come out. I have two air compressors in my temperature controlled shop, I drain water out of them regularly.
When we get our Seneca back I will be looking at this closer. Also we are waiting for my local Freightliner shop to get back with me on a quote on installing an air dryer so I don’t have any internal corrosion issues in the future.

regards

ed
Old 05-07-2017, 06:47 AM   #9

Air Brake Drain and TPMS

I looked up the valve "bendix dv-2". The valve appears to cycle each time the compressor cycles. Basically when the compressor shuts off the valve is balanced with equal air pressure on both sides. Then when you use the brakes the system becomes unbalanced the air pressure is higher on the bottom of the valve seat and the valve opens drain the contaminated air/water oil. This is repeated as the system operates. An inspection schedule is set in the documents at 6 month max. Pushing on the pin also dumps the system contaminates. A cold weather version is available with a heater for those of us in the snow belt. Google for good write up from bendix.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
RVermont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 10:02 AM   #10

Manual air drain

On my unit there were no automatic drains so I installed this set up. I still noticed some moisture so I had freightliner install an air dryer. I use this if I have to dump my air bags to level off unit or have to use an air line for something, it's a lot easier than crawling underneath it, the label is a habit from my trucking days, just have to trim the adhesive and all is good just another idea for making these great units we all enjoy easier to maintain, gord
Attached Thumbnails
air label.jpg   drain valve.jpg  
ready2retire&drive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 11:55 AM   #11

We run the TyreMinder system... on our Seneca and on our flatbed trailer we tow behind it...

Read the post by Robbbyr... he nails it. http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f5...tml#post439795
07 Toyota FJC & Yamaha Kodiak 400 ATV

SloPoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 01:37 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed4ster View Post

regards

ed
So I crawled "under the bus" and found the drain pins, there are 2 on each tank. I pressed each one which released air but no detectable moisture. I guess the auto drains are working. Thanks
Old 05-07-2017, 02:40 PM   #13

On my '14, we had a similar setup to ed4ster. After having a pressure switch go bad, last fall, and trying to deduce as to whether I had lost a compressor / had air, I hit the needle on the manual drain as shown in the photo. A LOT of rust-colored water came out, probably 4-5oz. What a mess!!! I was covered in it, my concrete driveway way will be forever scarred! Since draining the tank and having a new pressure sensor in, I've noticed my system airs up much faster. This all leads me to wonder how good the automatic drain works...