Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-21-2022, 08:57 AM   #1

Air Conditioner Questions

I have a 2021 Seneca 37K. We have been Florida for the past month and on occasion we had to use our air conditioning. During operation sometimes we get a foul odor not all the time from the rear ac unit. Pulled the cover to check the drains on each unit and they are both open and clean . Has anyone else had this problem and have a possible fix. I have read about the rear ac unit possibly could be pulling the odors from the black and gray tank vents. Also the front unit drains water from the drain when running but the rear is doesn’t. Thanks
BobD17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2022, 07:17 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobD17 View Post
I have a 2021 Seneca 37K. We have been Florida for the past month and on occasion we had to use our air conditioning. During operation sometimes we get a foul odor not all the time from the rear ac unit. Pulled the cover to check the drains on each unit and they are both open and clean . Has anyone else had this problem and have a possible fix. I have read about the rear ac unit possibly could be pulling the odors from the black and gray tank vents. Also the front unit drains water from the drain when running but the rear is doesn’t. Thanks
Unless something has radically changed in how the A/Cs are designed they only recirculate inside air. Unless there is a problem they do not take in any outside air. You might consider removing the ceiling fixture and check that the evaporator coil itself has not got mildew on it, it can happen when dust deposits itself on the coil and then gets damp.

And the next possibility is not pleasant at all, but I know of one Seneca owner that had a mouse get into the ducts (somehow?) in the ceiling/roof assembly. It expired there and made quite a stink. It was discovered by using a fiber optic camera and extracted using a claw tool.

Regarding sewer smells, Jayco has missed sealing the vent pipe roof penetrations on a number of Senecas. Owners remove the vent pipe cover (requires removing some of the lap sealant) and discover that where the pipe comes through the roof is was never sealed and odors can find their way from the roof down into the coach. And if Jayco did not seal the area above the interior A/C ceiling assembly it could leak into the airflow.

Another issue I've experienced myself were defective "Air Admittance Valves" (AAV) used the plumping to facilitate venting of the sinks and laundry drains. They go bad and can stick open and admit odors into the interior. And even though they come from the grey tank sometimes they can smell as bad as the black tank. And if one camps with the grey valve open it does create a direct path from the sewer to the interior if the AAV is stuck open. Turn on an exhaust fan and you're almost guaranteed to draw in odors. A picture of my original AAV is attached. There are three in my 2014TS.
Attached Images

Toads: 2019 Ford Edge ST or 2013 Ford Focus ST
Robbbyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2022, 07:57 PM   #3

Quote:
We have experienced the bad odor coming from the rear of our 2020 Seneca 37 K as well. We have determined that if we do not run our washer/dryer combo for a while the drain becomes dry and the odor is coming from there. We have started keeping a small amount of Camco Scent TST Grey Water Liquid Odor Control in the drain pipe when we are not using the washer/dryer for long periods. We also pour some in the sink and shower drains when we are not using the motorhome. So what Robbbyr posted explains why this has worked for us to eliminate our unexplained odor.
2020JayBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2022, 01:53 PM   #4

Thanks for your input. We haven’t used our washer as of yet but I will look there. This problem is so intermittent it’s hard to pinpoint. Today we have had our ac on for about six hours with no smell.
Old 02-22-2022, 02:04 PM   #5

They make a disinfectant for the AC duct work and evaporator cores. But it is worthless without eliminating the source. I agree, the AC could be draining and settling somewhere in the ducts and creating mildew. Your evaporator could be smelly as well. I doubt if you're smelling your tanks.
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2022, 05:08 PM   #6

Mold/mildew/?? can grow on the cold coils where a combination of moisture and dust make a great place for a spore to live.

Shopvac, spray coil cleaner and water spray after the recommended time to work to remove the chemicals and crud. Caution, some sprays are caustic, etc. Read and follow label directions carefully.

Dollar Tree has a spray called "Linen" that will help kill smells in the ducts. Again, spray when air is moving till well misted, shut off AC. Leave for an hour, come back, ventiliate!! Note, lots alcohol in the spray so don't ignite it!
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2022, 05:13 PM   #7

If the rear AC is cooling it should be producing condensate. I’d worry where it’s going, hopefully not into your roof space.

Just noticed your home base. Hey neighbor!

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2022, 02:36 PM   #8

Thanks again for your inputs. After tearing into my ac systems without any findings I was still puzzled. The odor seemed to appear in mid afternoon when the sun is beating down on the rear of the motor home. Went the washer route seeing we haven’t use the washer since we have owned the RV, opened the cabinet and the smell was strong. Poured water down the drain and it seems to cured the problem. Next Camco Scent.
Old 02-24-2022, 05:24 PM   #9

Quote:
Thanks again for your inputs. After tearing into my ac systems without any findings I was still puzzled. The odor seemed to appear in mid afternoon when the sun is beating down on the rear of the motor home. Went the washer route seeing we haven’t use the washer since we have owned the RV, opened the cabinet and the smell was strong. Poured water down the drain and it seems to cured the problem. Next Camco Scent.
If you do not plan to use the laundry you might consider installing an expandable plug (https://www.amazon.com/Commercial-Qu.../dp/B07C68GXT8) in the drain opening. That way you won't have to worry about regularly filling the trap. However if you are in a climate that you have to winterize you should pour a cup or two of RV antifreeze down that drain when you winterize. Even though you may not have a laundry, you still don't want to crack the trap!

I never have to worry about my laundry trap drying out, my Splendide is used almost every day we're on the road!
Toads: 2019 Ford Edge ST or 2013 Ford Focus ST
Robbbyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2022, 06:57 PM   #10

Is it an ammonia smell ?
Flintstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2022, 07:14 PM   #11

No it smells like a black tank odor.
Old 03-02-2022, 01:01 PM   #12

We get a nasty Odor once in a while when our AC sits without usage for a few days. More like a funky cheesey smell ,(not a black tank smell), for about 5 min, but disappears and doesn’t return until it sits for 4-5 more days without use. My AC was completely serviced and nothing was found.

I think it’s just moisture that dried on the coils.
Johnynorthland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2022, 10:34 AM   #13

We have a 2020 37L and I can confirm that the washer dryer drain needs some water in it to keep the smells out.
daveinthekeys is offline   Reply With Quote