Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-22-2018, 05:49 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbbyr View Post
Now if we could determine if the Prognostics were turned on in our transmission control modules and displayed in our dash it would make life easier.........maybe!

I suspect most of us will hit the time limit for fluid changes way before the mileage mark.
What do you mean Rob, you don’t think you’ll hit 150,000 miles in 4 years? You need to get on it. LOL.
Mark S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 06:07 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S View Post
What do you mean Rob, you don’t think you’ll hit 150,000 miles in 4 years? You need to get on it. LOL.
sigh... and we thought that you were going to put another 1k on your rig this summer... We missed ya this year!
07 Toyota FJC & Yamaha Kodiak 400 ATV

SloPoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 06:13 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloPoke View Post
sigh... and we thought that you were going to put another 1k on your rig this summer... We missed ya this year!
Thanks Steve. I’m hoping next summer.
Old 10-22-2018, 06:15 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S View Post
I still have a wife employed full-time! And since the Ohio Police and Fire Pension Fund has decided to cut off our health care insurance, I will probably get another job so I can afford private market insurance! More extensive travel will likely be delayed until I turn 65 and qualify for Medicare (5 years). So our complete "retirement" travel plans have been pushed back a bit thanks to the explosion in health care costs.

Who'd have thought health care decisions would be life-altering when we started in the fire service?
Toads: 2019 Ford Edge ST or 2013 Ford Focus ST
Robbbyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 09:04 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbbyr View Post
I still have a wife employed full-time! And since the Ohio Police and Fire Pension Fund has decided to cut off our health care insurance, I will probably get another job so I can afford private market insurance! More extensive travel will likely be delayed until I turn 65 and qualify for Medicare (5 years). So our complete "retirement" travel plans have been pushed back a bit thanks to the explosion in health care costs.

Who'd have thought health care decisions would be life-altering when we started in the fire service?
I am so sorry... I guess that we are almost the same age, but seems that I will have to work till 67 before health insurance is available for me. I have always been envious of those who got to retire early... while I never thought that they would take it back.... NOT right!
07 Toyota FJC & Yamaha Kodiak 400 ATV

SloPoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 05:29 AM   #46

Rob, I am so sorry to hear this. Knowing you, I am sure you have researched all the alternatives. I’ve met too many people who could retire financially but have to keep working just for health insurance.

We do have a health care/insurance crisis but I don’t know whose fault it is or what the solution is. Perhaps we need to abolish insurance companies and go back to paying doctors out of pocket what we could afford or pay with chickens and such. None of the options on the table right now look to solve the crisis.

I do sincerely hope you do come up with a solution that works for you and “Mrs. Rob” so you can continue on your journeys soon.
Old 10-23-2018, 05:46 AM   #47

Don't worry about me, still have plenty of shorter duration travel plans in the Seneca! Will probably delay our hoped-for 2+ month Alaska adventure, at least until we see what the future holds insurance-wise moving forward. While healthy now, who knows what the future holds for us that worked a career as full-time firefighters?

But I wouldn't change it looking back, between the Navy and then the City of Akron, I cherish the almost 40 years I spent serving people. I wonder how many others got up each day loving their jobs?

Speaking of transmissions, I sure went way off topic here!
Old 10-23-2018, 06:05 AM   #48

"Speaking of transmissions, I sure went way off topic here!"

Hmmmm, sounds like you are still talking about changing gears. Isn't that what a transmission does?
2016 Jayco Seneca 37FS
2016 Chevrolet Traverse
2018 Cheverolet Silverado
rgolding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 06:32 AM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgolding View Post
"Speaking of transmissions, I sure went way off topic here!"

Hmmmm, sounds like you are still talking about changing gears. Isn't that what a transmission does?
At least our Allisons, with reasonable care, shouldn't be something any of us will have to worry about for many years to come!

We had them in all our fire trucks, albeit a different series, but they were always reliable despite the abuse they endured in our urban environment. I take comfort in that!
Old 10-30-2018, 05:34 PM   #50

I hit the 4 year mark for a transmission fluid change, so I wasn't looking to pay list price at $61.00 for a couple gallons of TransSynd by Castrol. I bought a gallon at a truck supply to top off the early filter change. Found the Mobil Delvac 1 ATF which is TES-295 full synthetic approved by Allison for $117 shipped for 4 gallons at Summitracing.com. The 4 are the same price as I can do locally for 2.
2014 Seneca 37FS
2015 Wrangler Sport toad
red-headed wife
RoWest is offline   Reply With Quote