Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-12-2022, 10:03 AM   #1

any problems with top cap seals over/around cab?

Greetings from new member. We've been pulling a TT around for 20 years or so and may be ready to step up to a MH. What interests me for several reasons is the Super C lines and have been getting acquainted via manufacturer's web sites and reviews from Matt and others. I was leaning towards the Thor's, partly because of the easy transition from my F250 to the F550 cab and the lower cab entry. Also liked the layouts. Then I happened into their Forum and saw the lengthy threads about problems with the top cap coming loose from the cab roof. I did a word search in the Jayco forum and don't find any references to this. Is this a common industry issue or partial to individual manufacturers? I would hate to invest this kind of money and then have this kind of major (in my opinion) issue crop up. Also have heard about Thor's historical qc issues across the board and then they bought Jayco so I wonder how it affects their lines. Been pretty happy with our Jayco TTs.
Now digressing into question about the S2RV chassis/cab - What kind of safety features are in the basic setup? The F550 has lane departure and pre-collision assist as well as side air bags. Does the Freightliner have any of these types of features? Can't find on their web sites. DW thinks a lot about these types of features.
Or TPMS?
thanks in advance for insights.
RVandTenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2022, 04:18 PM   #2

Wife and I were dead-set on the Thor Magnitude, but when we went to order the dealer (a family friend) talked us out of it, says he has WAY more warranty work demands on them than the other brands he sold. Said he would order it for us, but was pretty adamant that the coach section is built shoddily and typically "falls apart after several years".

He steered us towards the Entegra Accolade (same as Jayco Seneca) even though he was not a dealer for them. Purchased the Accolade in Nov 2020 and couldn't be happier - even though I had to drive 2 hours away to get one.

I can tell you that there is NO lane assist or pre-collision warning system in the S2RV chassis. I have them in my regular car, but I really don't miss them in the RV, because when driving such a big unit I feel the need to be hyper-aware at all times. With that kind of weight needed to stop, I can't imagine last minute pre-collision braking making much of a difference at all. If I was to take a head-on impact, I'd MUCH prefer being in the Freightliner than just the Ford F550 front for safety.

I haven't had problems with the over-cab section separating, but if you read much here you will see some examples, as well as pics how to fix it from the inside.
EricM22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2022, 05:12 PM   #3

Thanks, very similar to my thoughts. I'm leaning towards the Accolade/Seneca. Wish they had a shorter version - like the 'K' but less the extra bath.

Any tire pressure monitoring system? my last trip I had a low truck tire warning as we were departing, not enough to catch my eye as we left but would have been a problem down the road a ways. If not, I already have a independent system I use on the trailer.
RVandTenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2022, 07:55 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricM22 View Post
Wife and I were dead-set on the Thor Magnitude, but when we went to order the dealer (a family friend) talked us out of it, says he has WAY more warranty work demands on them than the other brands he sold. Said he would order it for us, but was pretty adamant that the coach section is built shoddily and typically "falls apart after several years".

He steered us towards the Entegra Accolade (same as Jayco Seneca) even though he was not a dealer for them. Purchased the Accolade in Nov 2020 and couldn't be happier - even though I had to drive 2 hours away to get one.

I can tell you that there is NO lane assist or pre-collision warning system in the S2RV chassis. I have them in my regular car, but I really don't miss them in the RV, because when driving such a big unit I feel the need to be hyper-aware at all times. With that kind of weight needed to stop, I can't imagine last minute pre-collision braking making much of a difference at all. If I was to take a head-on impact, I'd MUCH prefer being in the Freightliner than just the Ford F550 front for safety.

I haven't had problems with the over-cab section separating, but if you read much here you will see some examples, as well as pics how to fix it from the inside.
The dealer I am buying my 37K from, who I have bought 3 units from, also has said that the Thor Magnitude has been his biggest warranty work unit of the class c’s for what it’s worth.
From 2001 Daemon Escaper
From 1998 Daemon Intruder
From 1993 Daemon Hornet
From Tent (BEST RV EVER!)
Jmorenz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2022, 12:38 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVandTenter View Post
Any tire pressure monitoring system? my last trip I had a low truck tire warning as we were departing, not enough to catch my eye as we left but would have been a problem down the road a ways. If not, I already have a independent system I use on the trailer.
No integrated TPMS in the Jayco Super C's.
Toads: 2019 Ford Edge ST or 2013 Ford Focus ST
Robbbyr is offline   Reply With Quote