Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-07-2021, 03:50 PM   #1

Backing Seneca into driveway from street

Hi all, love this group. Have learned so much. About to pull the trigger on a new 37M and have a question about being able to back it into my driveway. Currently back in a 30' trailer with no issues.

Street is a typical 2 lane neighborhood road that is approx 19' wide. Driveway is a straight shot 90 degree T that is approx 16' wide. Culvert and drainage ditch on both sides of the road and driveway without room to overshoot or cut short. Long driveway then about 150' with slight slope down to garage where it would be parked.

Based on your experience backing a Seneca S2RV chassis into driveways or camp sites, is this going to be a tight backing experience or will it be no problem? If it isn't going to make it will need to start looking at storage locations which I'm hoping to avoid.

Thanks in advance for any words of wisdom.
GollyGwiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 05:49 PM   #2

As long as the rear end can ride over the side of the driveway you should be fine. if you have trees, rocks or shrubs that are right next to the drive way you will have a more difficult time. The wheel cut at 55' really allows you to move the rear end around. I have gotten this unit into some pretty tight spots. Again you have to be concerned about tail swing when pulling out and sometimes that is a bigger problem. Backing up you are hyper vigilant but sometimes pulling out you get lazy and that is when you will get in trouble.
RVermont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 06:00 PM   #3

Send a message via Skype™ to ALJO
With the proper approach you end up already under a angle in the upside lane. Then less correction is needed to line up towards your drive way. No matter you have a combo or a MH the same rules apply.
Pro Series 1200 lbs. WDH with Double Sway Bar.
Champion 3100/2800 watt Inverter/Generator-Onboard Solar Power
ALJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 08:49 PM   #4

The Seneca should be much easier than a 30’ trailer, yiu will be surprised how maneuverable they are in tight spaces.

Rustynuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 06:30 AM   #5

Because the rear wheels are so far under the rear of the couch, your ability to back will be far easier than you think. Make sure to stay clear of mail boxes and utility poles. My wife and I work as a team, when backing. She drives and I'm outside watching and guiding. It really does make these situation easy, whether at a campground or a driveway. Just how it has worked with us for the last 48 years, through boat trailers, camping trailers and 6 years in the Seneca.
2016 Jayco Seneca 37FS
2016 Chevrolet Traverse
2018 Cheverolet Silverado
rgolding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2021, 11:33 AM   #6

What has already been said above...

We get our Seneca in some tight spaces... Just be watchful of the tree's above and dragging underneath.
07 Toyota FJC & Yamaha Kodiak 400 ATV

SloPoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2021, 04:22 PM   #7

Thanks for all the responses everyone. Don’t think we will have any issues based on these comments. Looking forward to being part of the Seneca family.
GollyGwiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2021, 05:03 PM   #8

If you can drive it out of the driveway then you should be able to back it in the driveway. Remember the line it took to get out and then reverse that line.

A few years ago, before the Accolade I got tired of waiting for traffic to slow to back my 37 foot Challenger into the driveway. My project was to widen my driveway entrance by about 8 feet and then create a gravel turn around midway between the entrance and the house. That turn around works even better for the Accolade than it did for the Challenger. If we weren't getting ready to sell the place I would widen the turnaround by about 4 or 5 feet.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk TOAD
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 06:49 AM   #9

I went from a Whitehawk 33BHBS to the Seneca/Accolade 37L. It is so much easier to back into my driveway. I live on a fairly narrow street so I’m sure you’ll have no problem.
dopplemeyr is offline   Reply With Quote