Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-15-2022, 07:15 PM   #1

Battery / Converter - Charging

Another question about batteries / Converter as if there isn’t enough of them already LOL:

I’ve replace 3 of the original interstate batteries last year because all 3 batteries were either smoking or very very hot. After reading issues similar like mine on this form and other forms I came to the conclusion that the batteries were low on water due to the desulphation process. I would only check the batteries every 4-6 months as the Seneca is stored indoors and plugged into a 15Amp outlet. What I did to resolve that was install the Flow-Rite MP2000 quick-fill battery kit which allows easy water fill of the batteries ever 4-6 weeks. Since doing this the batteries either will take little or no water. YEA solved that problem.

My new issue is, why am I still seeing acid on the tray. The batteries are not hot and I check the voltage status on the inverter display every time I visit the Seneca in storage and it shows 13.2 which is storage mode. I also check the status lights on the PD9280A converter making sure it matches what is on the digital display. I had the Seneca in my front yard 2 weeks ago for a week and always 13.2. I’ve seen it go to 14.4 (Equalize mode) but it does not stay on this very long. To me the converter is working as designed.

I want to change over to AGM either this year or next so I called the Interstate battery store and told him this issue. He said he’s had customers with the same issues and that the chargers in the RV’s are always charging a bit and water does come out. He said the best solution is to only plug the RV into shore power every 4-5 weeks for a week. I told him how the charger works and he said if there’s not a way to switch the charge to not charge while plugged in then its best to unplug it. So... I read the PD9200 series manual and I came across this little bit of information:

CAUTION
IT IS IMPORTANT THAT THE FLUID LEVEL OF ANY CONNECTED BATTERIES BE CHECKED ON A REGULAR BASIS. ALL BATTERIES WILL “GAS” AND LOSE SOME FLUIDS WHEN CONTINUOUSLY CONNECTED TO ANY CHARGING SOURCE.

He also said he’s seen AGM batteries swallow up due to the chargers continue charging.
If I do unplug it while in storage I would also flip the switch off by the steps to turn all power off which from my reading will shut the inverter down as well because its set on PS1 the default configuration.

Thank you for any and all advice,
John
Boy

p { line-height: 115%; margin-bottom: 0.1in; background: transparent }
johnboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2022, 07:36 PM   #2

Just a thought, what I may would do is simply keep the RV disconnected from shore power which would also provide some electrical surge protection, and I would install a sealed trickle charger that is of very few amps and keep the trickle charger plugged in all of the time. ~CA

Perhaps this one which has excellent ratings and reviews.
Attached Thumbnails
Capture.jpg  
Old 06-15-2022, 07:54 PM   #3

Not sure why water needs to be added to batteries (new), while sitting idle. Are you sure the converter isnt over charging?
dxrobertson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2022, 08:09 PM   #4

If you switch to AGM, just remember they take about twice as long to charge as regular lead acid. Not a big deal if your always plugged in. Only an issue when Boondocking and charging with a generator. Our kids switched to AGM and after one season switched them out for 6v golf cart batteries which accept a charge much quicker.
Either way they are way better than the interstate/centennial RV/Marine batteries that the deals throw in for free.
Old 06-15-2022, 09:13 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by GHen View Post
If you switch to AGM, just remember they take about twice as long to charge as regular lead acid. Not a big deal if your always plugged in. Only an issue when Boondocking and charging with a generator. Our kids switched to AGM and after one season switched them out for 6v golf cart batteries which accept a charge much quicker.
Either way they are way better than the interstate/centennial RV/Marine batteries that the deals throw in for free.
GHen, not sure where you heard that, AGM batteries, compared to flooded batteries, charge quickly. When compared to flooded batteries of a similar capacity, the charging rate can reach five times faster with the same power source.

Rustynuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2022, 10:52 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustynuts View Post
GHen, not sure where you heard that, AGM batteries, compared to flooded batteries, charge quickly. When compared to flooded batteries of a similar capacity, the charging rate can reach five times faster with the same power source.

Thanks Rusty that's what I have read and seen in AGM / lead acid battery comparison charts.
Old 06-15-2022, 11:08 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by dxrobertson View Post
Not sure why water needs to be added to batteries (new), while sitting idle. Are you sure the converter isnt over charging?
I believe the converter is working correctly per what I said in my post. If it was over charging I would think the LCD would be displaying 14.4 (boost mode) I've seen mostly 13.2(storage mode) and 13.6(normal mode). Is there a way of testing the converter to make sure it really working?
Thanks
Old 06-17-2022, 02:29 PM   #8

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnboy View Post
I believe the converter is working correctly per what I said in my post. If it was over charging I would think the LCD would be displaying 14.4 (boost mode) I've seen mostly 13.2(storage mode) and 13.6(normal mode). Is there a way of testing the converter to make sure it really working?
Thanks

I wrote to Progressive Dynamics the company the makes the converter and Dennis the Sr. Service Technician said the following:

It is true, anytime you are connected to a charging source, you will gas the batteries. It appears that even though the batteries were somewhat neglected, you did get 6 years of life out of the batteries and that's very good. When you have multiple batteries in a battery bank, all of the batteries should be replaced at the same time. A single poor battery in a bank will affect the life cycle of the new batteries.
It is important to never let the batteries discharge below 12.2 volts and then make sure the batteries are fully charged as soon as possible. If you leave the batteries disconnected during storage, make sure the batteries are fully charged. You may have to recharge every month or two.
Regards,

Dennis
I asked him about AGM batteries and we talked on the phone. He said they too will gas but not like lead acid batteries he then said I can either leave it plugged in while in storage or unplugged and plug back in every 2-3 months just to make sure they don't drop below 12.2 I had a set of AGMs in my 5th wheel connected to power and never had any issues.

Anyway the take away is the converter is working and not over charging and I'll be switching to AGM's. Not sure which one yet.

John
Boy
PS here's a link about AGM venting that i found interesting and educational

https://batteryknowhow.com/do-agm-ba...nted-find-out/