Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-17-2022, 06:09 AM   #1

Battery disconnect

Glad to have a Jayco Seneca after years of dreaming about it! 2016 36FK. The battery disconnect by the stairs was not functional when purchased last week. I would like to use the same switch and replace the relay. I have located a 500 Amp relay but was wondering if anyone else has done a similar fix?

Also if anyone can point out which relay is the one powered by the switch bt the stairs... I surely can find it but it will take me a bit of time.
Mechmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2022, 07:39 PM   #2

Mine is in the battery compartmen….16HJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechmann View Post
Glad to have a Jayco Seneca after years of dreaming about it! 2016 36FK. The battery disconnect by the stairs was not functional when purchased last week. I would like to use the same switch and replace the relay. I have located a 500 Amp relay but was wondering if anyone else has done a similar fix?

Also if anyone can point out which relay is the one powered by the switch bt the stairs... I surely can find it but it will take me a bit of time.
Old Smokey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2022, 07:58 PM   #3

Your relay may not be bad. If the previous owner held down the switch too long it locks out the relay. See the following for how to reset.
Attached Thumbnails
Capture.JPG  

Jim

Retired electronic technician (45 years in the field)
2017 Greyhawk 29W (solar & many other mods)
wife (maybe I should have given her top billing)
JimD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2022, 08:16 PM   #4

Thanks for the responses!
Old 05-18-2022, 03:41 AM   #5

Be very careful in which solenoid (relay) you buy, as it needs to be a specific type in order for the momentary (1 second) press of the switch to operate. On the class C forum, there are threads as to which solenoid you need to buy if yours is found to be faulty.

Look at the pics in post #5 of this thread:

https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...tch-93777.html

member craigrv was great in setting me up with this correct solenoid replacement. Mine was missing altogether from a previous owner removing it because it was faulty.

2005 Jayco GreyHawk Class C
2007 Ford F150
bucko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2022, 05:59 AM   #6

RustyNuts provided a post awhile back and provided this source:

https://pdxrvwholesale.com/products/...ay-lr9806j-bip

Unfortunately, they are out of stock. I heeded RustNut's advise and I now carry a spare.
Kar Kaddy SS
javamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2022, 03:46 AM   #7

That's the one. They are available on other sites, but for 10 to 40 dollars more!

2005 Jayco GreyHawk Class C
2007 Ford F150
bucko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2022, 07:56 PM   #8

Welcome to the family of Seneca that are on the M2 chassis and on the FK floorplan... we are a small but special group...

I want to agree with those who spoke up already... Try to reset the disconnect relay first, before going to the trouble of replacing it. If you need to replace it, then make sure it is the correct one.

I'll post pictures below, the relay on the left (In a 2015 FK) is the house disconnect relay, the one on the right is the Battery Isolation Relay (BIM)
Attached Thumbnails
20220519_184508.jpg   20220519_184521.jpg  
07 Toyota FJC & Yamaha Kodiak 400 ATV

SloPoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2022, 02:06 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloPoke View Post
Welcome to the family of Seneca that are on the M2 chassis and on the FK floorplan... we are a small but special group...

I want to agree with those who spoke up already... Try to reset the disconnect relay first, before going to the trouble of replacing it. If you need to replace it, then make sure it is the correct one.

I'll post pictures below, the relay on the left (In a 2015 FK) is the house disconnect relay, the one on the right is the Battery Isolation Relay (BIM)
Thank you for your response.

My problem is I don't know what exactly is isolated by the disconnect, maybe my expectations are way off.

On my toy hauler trailer the battery disconnect completely killed all power or draw from batteries. I cannot figure out what this disconnect actually isolates. It appears to be nothing.

In the event that this disconnect DOES work it looks to me that the chassis batteries would then feed the coach via the BIM. There is one +12v line that goes from the disconnect but I am not sure where it actually goes (not Inverter, not water pump, not sure what it connects to)

An electrical schematic would really help but I understand nobody has one because there isn't one. LOL
Old 05-24-2022, 06:45 PM   #10

This is not for the year you have, but it is "almost" perfect in relation to our 2015 FK..
Attached Thumbnails
20141201_210145.jpg  
07 Toyota FJC & Yamaha Kodiak 400 ATV

SloPoke is offline   Reply With Quote