Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-04-2024, 03:21 PM   #21

Ok, this is now a challenge. It appears that voltage is being fed to both sides of the relay for some reason. One side should be direct to the battery. The other side, with the multiple wires on it, feed various sources but they should not have power all the time.

According to my wiring diagram, the 4 wires go to:

1. Fuse panel (output)
2. Levelling control (output)
3. Aux start switch (output)
4. Diode adaptor harness (output)

If you want to keep troubleshooting, I would disconnect all 4 wires on the one side and measure each for voltage. There should not be voltage on any of them unless the ignition is on or the bypass switch is pressed. Also, while the wires are off see if there is voltage on the stud. If there is voltage there it means the solenoid is engaged. Try the battery disconnect switch to see if the voltage comes and goes.

If you can determine where the voltage is coming from then you may be able to fix it. Could be coming from a bad diode in the adaptor harness or from the aux start switch. Could be coming from some weird wiring that someone has done to the unit.

As far as putting a disconnect on the battery, by all means do so. I have 2 batteries in parallel and have a disconnect on each battery for maintenance. Works like a champ.
Attached Thumbnails
Screenshot 2024-03-04 131957.jpg  

Jim

Retired electronic technician (45 years in the field)
2017 Greyhawk 29W (solar & many other mods)
wife (maybe I should have given her top billing)
JimD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2024, 03:34 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcs500 View Post
I replaced the solenoid and guess what? Nothing changed. Both cables on the right and left side of the solenoid have power. even when disconnected. So I'm guessing that there is a back feed going on but I have no Idea where from. At this point, I'm going to install a manual cut off switch in the battery compartment. When I disconnect the main positive cables, the battery system shuts down. I rarely ever shut down the system as I spend a lot of time in the mo home. 7 months or so a year. When not on the road, I leave the batteries on and the coach plugged into my 50 amp house power source. The problem occurred before I changed to Lithium so I have no clue how a back feed condition happened. One way or another, I should be okay with a manual shut off switch. I will leave the solenoid hooked up as there are other smaller wires that may be essential for CO detector or refer, etc. Any thoughts? Thanks
I suggest that where to go from here depends on how much effort you would like to put into this concern. A manual shutoff is not a bad idea and many do that anyway.

Regarding what I bolded, I was concerned that the voltage you were seeing on both sides of the solenoid was voltage being backfed from another source, which is why if you want to determine the cause of what you are seeing you would need to eliminate those possible sources during your testing. Those sources would be the chassis battery, the converter, and solar if you have it. Once those sources are disconnected, then (unless I missed another source) the only source left would be the coach battery, and with the cables at the solenoid being disconnected, I would be surprised to find voltage on both cables (just the one going to the battery), next and after testing with the cables disconnected, I would pull the fuses at the solenoid and track the voltage starting from the coach battery itself.

I like the idea of having a manual shutoff at the battery though as without rewiring a couple of things, the battery disconnect solenoid will not completely shutoff the power to items such as the CO detector and perhaps a few other items (perhaps the LP detector, refrigerator, etc), depending on how yours is wired from the factory. ~CA
Old 03-04-2024, 03:45 PM   #23

Thanks, I did that and yes there is a back feed. I already changed the relay and when I activate the switch, I hear the relay click loudly but still will not disconnect. So if the relay clicks, I would think the switch is working properly. I tried to find that switch all over the internet and no luck. If I could find one, that would be the next thing to change out even though I don't think thats the problem.

Looks like the back feed is coming from the chasis batteries. So I'm just going to install a manual cut off switch. I'm done with it. Thanks
dcs500 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery