Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-27-2023, 03:01 PM   #1

Black tank macerator

Just some clarification if I'm doing something wrong my hose on my macerator fills with waste even if I'm not using it is that normal?

2022 Jayco Seneca 37k
Cornpop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2023, 03:08 PM   #2

My maceration has a gate valve shut off to it.
Old 03-27-2023, 03:25 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornpop View Post
Just some clarification if I'm doing something wrong my hose on my macerator fills with waste even if I'm not using it is that normal?

2022 Jayco Seneca 37k
Yes this is why I removed mine. Many people have installed a pvc ball valve where the small hose connects to the box to prevent this from happening.

Rustynuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2023, 03:48 PM   #4

I also removed mine. For one, it never worked properly as the poop propellers were damaged from the round cut out from the black tank for the toilet that was just dropped into the tank and left there at the factory. Sounds like several people had that same problem. Secondly, it is very hard to get all the junk out of the hose unless you take the hose off. Even then, there is still crap left in the bottom of the macerator that does not get sucked out properly. I always dump poop first and then grey water afterwards and was amazed at the stuff left in the macerator when I opened it up. All that just sits in there and smells.

The kicker for me is that you still have to have a regular hose to dump the front grey water tank! Macerator hose was not long enough and I did not want to mess with piping the front grey tank to the macerator. The only advantage I see with the macerator is that you can pump uphill if you needed to. I removed it and really enjoy the extra space it gave me.
2021 Jeep Grand Cherokee L
Jeepin Jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2023, 07:13 PM   #5

Thx everyone it seems useless to me
Cornpop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2023, 05:54 PM   #6

Mine made a terrible sound when I tried to use it. I opened it up and dug out TWO tank cutouts that had been left in the system. It sounds a lot better, we'll see how it works next week.
Rusty T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2023, 07:05 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty T View Post
Mine made a terrible sound when I tried to use it. I opened it up and dug out TWO tank cutouts that had been left in the system. It sounds a lot better, we'll see how it works next week.
Did you take a look at the blades? Mine were torn up and I only found one cutout inside mine. It never worked right, crazy that they have not addressed this at the factory yet.
Old 04-06-2023, 05:45 AM   #8

During our PDI our salesman mentioned it and told us to pretend it wasn't there, and we have. Still has antifreeze from the factory
Old 04-06-2023, 07:19 AM   #9

I’ll try mine for a while and see what happens. The removal option seems pretty attractive.
Old 04-06-2023, 07:24 AM   #10

Can anyone tell me what fittings are necessary to remove the macerator system and where they could be purchased??
Old 04-06-2023, 11:42 AM   #11

You can remove it several different ways. There are a few examples on here if you search macerator. The fittings can be found at your local hardware or RV store. Or, right off amazon.
Old 04-06-2023, 12:57 PM   #12

I cut mine off right after the last Wye before it heads down to the Macerator, just cut the pipe that is glued into the Wye hub right at the hub and dont cut the hub off. Then this Fernco is made to slip over the hub on the Wye and toghten down and then the other end is ready to accept 3" drain pipe to build whatever you want.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Attached Thumbnails
i-RVg3JbX-X2.jpg  

Old 04-06-2023, 02:35 PM   #13

I LOVE LOVE LOVE my macerator. We boondock most times, and it is so nice to hook up a regular hose and pump everything right out into the cleanout against the back of my office building where I park our RV.

I guess if you only use campgrounds, you wouldn't need it. But for our application, it is a godsend.
EricM22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2023, 02:39 PM   #14

This thread stinks!

Murff

2015 White Hawk 20MRB (It's last year)
2017 F150 2.7 Eco Boost 3.73 Gears

Murff is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2023, 06:08 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricM22 View Post
I LOVE LOVE LOVE my macerator. We boondock most times, and it is so nice to hook up a regular hose and pump everything right out into the cleanout against the back of my office building where I park our RV.

I guess if you only use campgrounds, you wouldn't need it. But for our application, it is a godsend.
I hated mine and we boondock 75% of the time But I do have a convenient spot at home to dump where I can take my time and throughly flush the tanks out good as I have 2 black and 2 grays.

Old 04-07-2023, 05:45 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepin Jason View Post
Did you take a look at the blades? Mine were torn up and I only found one cutout inside mine. It never worked right, crazy that they have not addressed this at the factory yet.

I don't have a macerator, but my grey #1 tank gushes when draining and occasionally abruptly stops with a water hammer in the stinky slinky, everything is full of water but going nowhere. I suspect a cutout in the tank blocking the drain. I always use a twist on gate valve, close it and back flush from grey tank #2 and it has so far emptied every time. Just hoping it doesn't get wedged in somewhere. Dropping that tank would be a PITA....
TS3 Hitch
Ms says I'm full of useless knowledge and other stuff...
ARoamer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2023, 06:31 AM   #17

I use the macerator about 90% of the time....I like it!

2017 Ram Cummins 3500, 4x4, Dually Aisin, 3.73
B&W hitch
Learjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2023, 12:02 PM   #18

Ours always worked great. Love it.

If you use and treat it right it's awesome. But you've got to do black first and listen for the change in grinder pitch and right away then open the grey valve (I learned to leave the black open still for a bit as the grey flow then sucks more of the residual black out by vacuum action). Then shut off black and listen to the grey to change pitch and right away shut off the macerator. Then give it a minute to settle and turn on the pump once more for like 30 seconds. You'll feel more that's drained now get pumped out. Lastly I lift the end of the hose and fill it with "fresh" water from the nearby wash out hose if there is one. Then I just dump that into the pit and cap off the macerator hose. Never had a stink. Never had a problem. (and wer'e one of those who simply use Costco toilet paper!) 2017 Precept 31UL
gowestwardho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2023, 12:22 PM   #19
Site Team

snip...
Quote:
Originally Posted by ARoamer View Post
Just hoping it doesn't get wedged in somewhere. Dropping that tank would be a PITA....
I bought an endoscope last year from Amaon that has an 11 1/2' camera cable, and transmits the image to my phone. I've only played with it a few times, and it took a little getting used to, to get it to work, but it would be useful to see inside your gray tank for a plug.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...0?ie=UTF8&th=1

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2023, 01:40 PM   #20

Not worth the price

I used mine a few times, then realized it was taking me longer and was not as thorough as the “old fashioned” dump hose. Shut it off and hasn’t been used in at least 2 years. Not worth messing with IMHO.
RickandBecky is offline   Reply With Quote