Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-25-2015, 06:08 PM   #1

Blue ox toad braking system

I towed the Jeep for the first time with the above braking system. On the way there it timed out on a stop on the highway and I reset and it seemed fine. On the way back it only "braked" one time the whole way back. This thing seems like a big waste of money. The Seneca stops just fine with out it working. Maybe i just need to work to fine tune the setting a better. Thoughts from those of you in the know!!!!

Thanks,

Mike
Old 08-26-2015, 06:32 AM   #2

I think your experience is pretty normal. I use a RViBrake II and it does not have to apply the Toad brakes very often, but it does help on emergency stops and on very hilly downhill terrain (saves the Coach brakes a little).
The real reason you need the system is that in almost all states it is required to have one if you are towing anything even remotely heavy. Think of the liability (and possible jail time if a fatality is involved) if you got in an accident without having a braking system.

If I had anything better to do I would be doing it :)
snowbird47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 12:25 PM   #3

I have a '14 Seneca and I echo what Snowbird says, the greatest benefit to toad brakes comes when you have to panic stop or in hilly terrain. But then it sure does help! It also works hard in heavy urban traffic (think Chicago) where you can be doing 45 one minute, 5 the next, 55-60 a minute after that! Despite trying to be consistent with my speed, in some places it just doesn't work that way and you are unexpectedly smashing the brake pedal. I use a Roadmaster EvenBrake which has served very well on 3 different toads.

Another situation a braking system would be invaluable is in the very unlikely event of a breakaway catastrophe. Imagine your toad passing you careening out of control! I've seen some RV folks not hook up their breakaway device, but (like stated above) think of the liability aspect if you don't use it and there was an "incident".
Robbbyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 11:41 AM   #4

I am assuming you are using the Patriot system? I just bought one also but have never towed with it. What did you have the gain set on? Sensitivity? I plan on starting at the middle of the gain scale and keep adjusting until the braking works to suit me.
Mr.Oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 01:04 PM   #5

I only changed the gain between 4-5. the other setting I left along. I need to re-read the instructions about unit set-up. How the unit sits seems to have an impact on how it operates.
Old 08-30-2015, 10:14 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Oz View Post
I am assuming you are using the Patriot system? I just bought one also but have never towed with it. What did you have the gain set on? Sensitivity? I plan on starting at the middle of the gain scale and keep adjusting until the braking works to suit me.
I purchased a Patriot system last fall. Works great for me. Called the company and spoke to a tech. He told me to set it at 3 or 4. I mostly run on 4. He says it is best that way. Anything higher the brakes will activate more often when you don't really need them. He stated it was mostly for hard stops and emergencies. Two weeks ago I had a problem with the system. A blown fuse in the unit. Couldn't find a fuse right away. So I headed out to Bar Harbor. 5 1/2 hour drive. I really noticed the difference when having to brake hard. Found the fuse I needed in Elsworth. Worked great on the way home. I feel much safer with the braking system. I highly recommend it. As Snowbird stated it is the law in Maine and most states. I believe anything over 3000 lbs requires its own brakes.
2012 Jayco Skylark (SOLD)
adaigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 10:30 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by adaigle View Post
I purchased a Patriot system last fall. Works great for me. Called the company and spoke to a tech. He told me to set it at 3 or 4. I mostly run on 4. He says it is best that way. Anything higher the brakes will activate more often when you don't really need them. He stated it was mostly for hard stops and emergencies. Two weeks ago I had a problem with the system. A blown fuse in the unit. Couldn't find a fuse right away. So I headed out to Bar Harbor. 5 1/2 hour drive. I really noticed the difference when having to brake hard. Found the fuse I needed in Elsworth. Worked great on the way home. I feel much safer with the braking system. I highly recommend it. As Snowbird stated it is the law in Maine and most states. I believe anything over 3000 lbs requires its own brakes.
Thanks. I always run with my exhaust brake on so I lightly use the RV brakes normally. I figured I would start with lower gains and see what happens. I don't want to over brake the Jeep and prematurely wear the brakes. I have towed the Jeep without a braking system and noticed a difference in acceleration but not really with braking. Then again I never had a hard or panic stop. Heading out on a 4000 mile trip in a few weeks and there was no way I was doing it without a aux braking system.
Mr.Oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 12:11 PM   #8
Sam

I have a 2014 Seneca TS and tow a 2012 Jeep Unlimited. Have towed the jeep approx. 1,000 miles using a Blue Ox Patriot supplemental brake. I have is set on 5 and will try setting 4 as suggested here. The brake only seem to activate only on hard braking, I think that is the way it should function. As others here say, most states require brakes on towed vehicles. Liability sure is a concern it the event of an accident.
I like the ease of set up with the Patriot and so far it does a good job. In ten days we will begin an approx 6,000 mile plus trip to the east coast from CO. our first long trip in the Seneca. Wish us the best! Sam
Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 10:14 PM   #9

Looking at this post ,I know it’s old. I have the patriot three I switchEd from Dolly towing. I’m a little confused about the settings on the remote inside the RV.

What should the sensitivity be set at in the menu screen?

And what should the max force be set on in the main menu?

Is the max force the same as the force setting on the regular home screen? I find this menu very confusing and very little help in the manual.
Johnynorthland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 10:25 AM   #10

Bringing this thread back alive again.

Just took my Seneca and did my first flat tow adventure. Normally I tow on a trailer, but my new to me 17 Raptor was setup to flat tow when I bought it.
I have to say the Raptor was HORRIBLE to tow, but hopefully it was just due to my setup and not just the way it is with this vehicle. Now I know this thing is heavy...6000+ lbs, but I think I have all the right gear to do it correctly. Pulling straight is not a problem, but taking turns at highway speeds or turning while slowing is downright interesting to say the least.
My setup is a Blue Ox 10k towbar with the bar close to level. I need to get it measured with it all hooked up and at ride height, but I believe it is setup with it running about 3" higher on the RV side than the truck side which is right at the limit for their setup. I am debating getting a drop so that it will sit more level. I am using the original Blue Ox Patriot brake system. I THINK this is where some of my issues are coming in. I have the gain around 5, but I NEVER see the tow bk light come on and I THINK it is supposed to come on when I am slowing down and it should be helping me. If I push the manual button down the light comes on and it engages the brake, but I dont know if the tow brake is working like it should...would be nice if I could have someone in the toad watching it as I drive to see if it is working, but that is very dangerous. The brake sets up correct and I dont get any errors.
I am just wondering if maybe with the bar being at 3" off level and the braking system not slowing down the truck could be causing the truck to effectively push the rear of the coach causing the oversteer sensation I am seeing.
Does anyone know if their tow brake light should be coming on when slowing down? Does anything agree that if I can get the Raptor to slow on its own more that it should reduce my oversteer?
Old 08-12-2020, 10:32 AM   #11

I tow a WK2 at around 5400 lbs and no problems at all. My InvisiBrake applies a few seconds after I apply the Accolade brakes. The WK2 tracks like a dream. I am all RoadMaster and level using a 2 inch high low adapter.

Just completed an 800 mile tow through the mountains of VA and WV with no issues at all.
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 03:56 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyRoRyan View Post
Bringing this thread back alive again.

Just took my Seneca and did my first flat tow adventure. Normally I tow on a trailer, but my new to me 17 Raptor was setup to flat tow when I bought it.
I have to say the Raptor was HORRIBLE to tow, but hopefully it was just due to my setup and not just the way it is with this vehicle. Now I know this thing is heavy...6000+ lbs, but I think I have all the right gear to do it correctly. Pulling straight is not a problem, but taking turns at highway speeds or turning while slowing is downright interesting to say the least.
My setup is a Blue Ox 10k towbar with the bar close to level. I need to get it measured with it all hooked up and at ride height, but I believe it is setup with it running about 3" higher on the RV side than the truck side which is right at the limit for their setup. I am debating getting a drop so that it will sit more level. I am using the original Blue Ox Patriot brake system. I THINK this is where some of my issues are coming in. I have the gain around 5, but I NEVER see the tow bk light come on and I THINK it is supposed to come on when I am slowing down and it should be helping me. If I push the manual button down the light comes on and it engages the brake, but I dont know if the tow brake is working like it should...would be nice if I could have someone in the toad watching it as I drive to see if it is working, but that is very dangerous. The brake sets up correct and I dont get any errors.
I am just wondering if maybe with the bar being at 3" off level and the braking system not slowing down the truck could be causing the truck to effectively push the rear of the coach causing the oversteer sensation I am seeing.
Does anyone know if their tow brake light should be coming on when slowing down? Does anything agree that if I can get the Raptor to slow on its own more that it should reduce my oversteer?
Try and get the tow bar ends level With each other at all cost! You are lifting the front wheels off The ground while you are pulling it, especially if the pickup has any load in the bed or behind the rear axel.
Johnynorthland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 04:31 PM   #13

I have a 2019 seneca 37ts and I tow a 2018 f150 super crew diesel. It weights about 6500 lbs loaded. I use a blue ox base plate and blue ox avail tow bar. I use the M&G engineering brake system. I am also using a 6” drop bar off of my hitch to get the bar level with the base plate. Except for a loss is a 1/2 mpg, I don’t notice the truck back there��
Or
2018 F150 supercrew
Blue ox base plate and tow bar
M&G engineering brake system.
Jesslinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 09:36 AM   #14

Agree with getting the tow bar more level. Even if it's "within spec", a little out of level can create problems.

I can't remember what I was towing (either my '94 YJ or my '15 WK2) and the bar was high on the tow vehicle side (again, can't remember what I was towing with). Every time I went to stop, things got a little squirrely. In that situation, the toad is pushing UP on the rear of the tow vehicle, and that's not a good thing. You need the forces to be as straight in-line as possible.

As for the brake, I use the Blue Ox Patriot 2 and while it doesn't seem to brake often, I certainly know when it's not working. I have mine set on "6". Also, I make sure the toad is NOT running when I push the "setup" button. If it's running, the brake booster is assisting in the pedal push, then you turn it off and the brake module mashes the brake pedal the first time it engages. I just about locked up the brakes on my WK2 on the first "easy" stop because of that. Scared the CRAP out of me. I thought the emergency break away switch has tripped. Now I make double sure the toad is OFF before I place the brake module and punch the setup button; no more problems.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 06:33 PM   #15

I decided to go with a mechanical brake (NSA Brute Elite Pro II), it seems to work well and I don't have to mess with a separate unit in the Jeep.

Barry
2020 Entegra Accolade
barryfriedman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 01:07 PM   #16

I use a duo Demco stay and play brake system.
The guy who installed it said the brakes should be adjusted for "hard" braking only. Down hill and slamming on the brakes....routine slowing and stopping should not apply the toads brakes.