Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-15-2019, 09:53 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd99336 View Post

The exhaust brake on a diesel (at least on commercial trucks) will lock down or limit the valve travel to make the cylinders big compressors. While proper transmission gear still needs to be selected, the addition of the right gear and exhaust braking will be a vast improvement over a gas engine simply using the engine drag.

I agree with all advise. It is probably not that you damaged your brakes (they will take a lot of heat) but you should have them inspected. Damage will show up as discoloration and probably warpage to the rotor (are these drum or disc on the Seneca? I don't know). If no issues, then keep rolling, but control your descents with combination of transmission, engine brake, and lastly, wheel brakes.

Thanks for being brave enough to post so others can learn.
Just a slight correction on Seneca exhaust brakes. The exhaust braking on our units is accomplished by the computer changing the vane position on our variable geometry turbocharger which increases exhaust back pressure. What system you described, acting on the engines valves, is an Engine Brake which operates differently but accomplishes the same thing. Larger Cummins engines can be fitted with an engine brake but they only use exhaust brakes on the Seneca ISB. Engine brakes tend to generate more "braking horsepower" than an exhaust brake generally can. Very useful on even heavier trucks as you might imagine.

And through the wonders of computer integration our exhaust brakes work in conjunction with the transmission. As one applies light brake pedal pressure the transmission will automatically downshift to increase exhaust braking effectiveness. That is of course assuming the vehicles road speed will allow for a downshift without overspeeding the engine by doing so. It will continue to drop gears until it cuts out at 15 mph where one must use the foundation brakes to bring to a complete stop. Obviously this is assuming that the exhaust brake is in the "on" position. Turned off, the unit will just coast like any other rig.

And air brake-equipped Senecas (2016 - up) do have drum brakes all around. However early Freightliner Senecas (up through 2015) have four wheel hydraulic disc brakes with power steering boost.
Toads: 2019 Ford Edge ST or 2013 Ford Focus ST
Robbbyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 02:47 PM   #22

Thank you so much for your reply! When I told my hubby I was going to post the question (neither of us knew! About exhaust brakes) and he did say I was going to get some very patronizing responses.....and I did get 1 or 2 non helpful replies as is clear, however I also got some very kind and informative answers, which were very much appreciated, thank you to those who took the time! I have driven large horse carrying lorries in the UK for many years and never had seen exhaust breaks before, so definitely a learning curve! Glad I asked the question.....I was always taught ‘the dumbest question is the one you don’t ask!!’
Yes, the lorry is booked on for a check over!
(Ps just got to respond to those that assumed I rode the brakes all the way.....No I never, I definitely knew that much about laden lorries and hills!!)
Mel41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 03:49 PM   #23

I'm not sure this was mentioned but slowing down before cresting the hill will make a great difference in controlling your speed going down.
2010 Toyota Tundra toad
Oma/opa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 01:35 PM   #24

Just to let you all know, we’d taken the RV to have the brakes checked out and apparently all the brakes were too tight and had to be adjusted! The garage was in no doubt that would have caused the issue! Not just a dumb woman driver after all!!
Mel41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 01:57 PM   #25

I would agree with many that you are very fortunate that everything ended well at the bottom of the hill and at Freightliner.

Since we know you are both safe after this experience, I will share this video. It’s Hollywood’s rendition of using too much breaks.

We all are going to miss things and learn from each other here. Some lessons are free; enjoy those.

https://youtu.be/AuMwh4hiL9g
McGintys924 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 04:55 PM   #26

Let’s see if this link works....yep, works for me!

Regarding the original posters experience, in my Ram diesel with auto trans I can put the vehicle on cruise control with the trans in Tow/Haul mode and the exhaust brake set on automatic and the computer will keep my speed within a few mph of what I have it set to even on steep grades while towing.
Russ661 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 11:03 PM   #27

What Slopoke said. Get off the pedal as much as possible.
Farris7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 11:43 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by supereri View Post
I completely agree with Rob. The worst thing you can do is drag your brakes. Get on the brakes with authority (don't slam, but firm) to slow down below your target speed. You want to spend as little time as possible "on the brakes".

this.

when you need to brake coming down a hill, get on 'them.
slow down 10mph below target and then get off them!
Old 07-21-2019, 06:25 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ661 View Post
Let’s see if this link works....yep, works for me!

Regarding the original posters experience, in my Ram diesel with auto trans I can put the vehicle on cruise control with the trans in Tow/Haul mode and the exhaust brake set on automatic and the computer will keep my speed within a few mph of what I have it set to even on steep grades while towing.

That video tends to give truck drivers a bad image! LOL

Joe Hinson
2010 Jayco Quest G2(SOLD)
2014 Jayco Eagle 33.5RETS
2007 Ram 2500 5.9L Cummins(SOLD)
2015 Ram 2500 6.7L Cummins 4WD
:)
namusmc65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 07:38 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by namusmc65 View Post
That video tends to give truck drivers a bad image! LOL
Sorry, it just what comes to mind from a movie reference.

I have to admit that most of my driving has been without a toad to this point and therefore my engine break has been sufficient for the hills of P.A. to NC. This next trip will be with our accord on a dolly (~3500lb). It has always impressed me how even a light trailer behind a large tow vehicle can affect things. Having a 5000 + lb pickup would definitely affect the breaking dynamics of your Seneca.

Not knowing anything about the 4down breaking systems I cannot comment there. However, could this system need further adjustment?
McGintys924 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 08:37 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloPoke View Post
well... that explains why the overheated brake... and you may have damaged your rear braking components / bearings with this event.

You should get this into a Freightliner shop ASAP and have them inspect your entire brake system. Explain to them what happened so they know what to look for.

You should review the drivers manual on your rig... descending grades requires
specific actions and precautions, or you can overheat your brake system and lose your brakes entirely in worst case situations. You were lucky...
SloPoke nailed it so well!!! Correct gear, engine brake (Jake Brake), if the use of chassis brakes are needed then jab, release, jab...........it gives just enough time for the brakes to stay cooler and not get too hot. Try to start out at the top of the downhill that you want to be at when at the bottom. Apply brakes if you get 5mph more than you want.
Your brakes are probably now "toast".........burnt toast at that
I have put out several brake fires when I was on duty........they're tough. A extra fire extinguisher on board is never a bad thing.
RetiredLEO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 07:58 PM   #32

6% Grades

Just finished 2 weeks in the four corners region. Every time I was forewarned of 6% grade I would turn off OD and shift to third. Crawled down all of them at 35-40MPH never touched the brakes. Surge brakes on the toad working as needed.
Purdue 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 08:52 PM   #33

Click image for larger version

Name:	Edd'sTruck-2.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	162.3 KB
ID:	51797
750K in an 18 wheeler, multi RV's with multi trips cross country. Go slow down hill, lower gears, exhaust brake if you have one. Old trucker saying: you can go down hill lots of times too slow, once too fast.
2000 F250SD SRW 7.3 LB Extended Cab Air Bags
2002 Western Star 4900EX 500 Detroit 13sp.
2014 Eagle 30.5BHLT (sold)
Edd505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2022, 09:59 PM   #34

exhaust brake with pic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbbyr View Post
On my rig it is located below the shift lever. It is not marked with any text but it is looks like the picture below.
Hi Robby do you have a picture of the Exhaust brake switch on your Seneca?
srxhare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2022, 10:12 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by srxhare View Post
Here is a pic of the exhaust brake switch.
Attached Thumbnails
FB024D57-EF51-4C84-91C8-B4041EDF5DC0.jpeg  

Rustynuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2022, 10:12 AM   #36

Click image for larger version

Name:	20161005_145924~2.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	119.6 KB
ID:	79908
Quote:
Originally Posted by srxhare View Post
On mine.
Attached Images

Toads: 2019 Ford Edge ST or 2013 Ford Focus ST
Robbbyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2022, 07:24 PM   #37

thanks much , that helps!!!
srxhare is offline   Reply With Quote