Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-13-2022, 09:36 PM   #1

Button function

I have a 2020 Seneca 37TS and there is a button on the left side of the steering wheel towards the bottom of the dash. I can hear a something click. What is this button for?
Big Bopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2022, 09:54 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Bopper View Post
I have a 2020 Seneca 37TS and there is a button on the left side of the steering wheel towards the bottom of the dash. I can hear a something click. What is this button for?
It engages a high amperage relay (Battery Isolation Module) known as a BIM (that also does other good stuff) to essentially jump your house batteries with your chassis batteries - allowing you to start your Freightliner chassis with assistance of your house batteries...

There is a circuit breaker impacted in this circuit that is prone to tripping, on the chassis battery side - and you lose the power to your steps and leveling system when it trips.
07 Toyota FJC & Yamaha Kodiak 400 ATV

SloPoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2022, 10:26 PM   #3

Thanks!
Big Bopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2022, 07:27 AM   #4

It can also be used in reverse to start the generator if the house batteries are weak. That naturally takes two people and be sure you have the engine running.
Old 10-14-2022, 02:16 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
It can also be used in reverse to start the generator if the house batteries are weak. That naturally takes two people and be sure you have the engine running.
If the engine is running, wouldn't the relay be engaged without pushing the button? That is how it works on the Class C's but I am not sure about the Super C's. ~CA
Old 10-14-2022, 03:02 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigav View Post
If the engine is running, wouldn't the relay be engaged without pushing the button? That is how it works on the Class C's but I am not sure about the Super C's. ~CA
Never tried without pushing the button or even thought about it.. You're probably right..
Old 10-14-2022, 03:45 PM   #7

It would depend on the voltage of the two battery banks. The relay or BIM operates on voltage differential. The button forces the connection but if the battery banks are close to same voltage then the relay will be open and no connection made.
RVermont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2022, 08:05 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
Never tried without pushing the button or even thought about it.. You're probably right..

For sure the aux start button should tie the batteries together. One thought I like to share is that if either the coach or chassis battery is very low, start the other engine before using the emergency start switch. That way you don't risk running both the coach and chassis batteries down too low if you have no charging capabilities such as being on shore power. Once the first engine is running then try starting the other. Press and hold the aux start button and I would suggest waiting a few minutes while holding the button in and then start the remaining engine, that will help the low battery build up a bit of a charge prior to engaging the starter. ~CA
Old 10-25-2022, 09:46 AM   #9

Where is the circuit breaker on this circuit?
Michael Preston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2022, 02:03 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Preston View Post
Where is the circuit breaker on this circuit?

Yours may be different than mine however, there are two breakers on the circuit for mine. Both are self-resetting 80a breakers, one at the relay itself which is under the hood on the firewall and the other breaker is located at the coach battery. ~CA

BTW, Welcome to the Jayco Owner's Forums.
Old 10-31-2022, 01:50 PM   #11

If one was to use the Vega Touch Mira phone app. Then only one person would be required to both push the both the dash button and also start the generator.
daveinthekeys is offline   Reply With Quote