Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-18-2022, 06:20 AM   #1

Cab over bunk conver to storage??

For those of you travelling with just you. I'd love to see ideas on how to maximize storage in the cab over bed. Newmar SuperStar has some awesome cabinetry instead of a bunk. I wish that was an option on these. We won't need the bed but would make great use as storage. My initial thought is to pull out the mattress and plug and just leave them at home till we sell. But I'd love to hear what actual owners have done. I'm just theorizing to date.

Love to see photos too.
driveby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2022, 07:17 AM   #2

Newmar’s SuperStar and Supreme Air Super Cs are awesome but the short cab over on those are constructed only for cabinetry and the large windshield. The Jayco/Accolade has the typical cab over of a class C MH that is mainly only to be used for stationary sleeping/storage. The weight capacity is 750 pounds while stationary but it doesn’t recommend storing anything while traveling. With the problems they have with separating I wouldn’t put much of anything except for very light items like pillows as we do. At first when we got our 37K, we thought about using the bunk for storage, but after researching more and discovering the negatives in doing so, we thought best in not doing it. Also we have found there to be more than enough storage already. Plus having the big windshield in the cab over is nice to have and we didn’t want to block it.

2022 Entegra Accolade 37K
2022 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
GibbysWorld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2022, 07:21 AM   #3

thanks. absolutely like the large window. I guess I'm asking if you pull the mattress, is it feasable to store backpacks, camera gear etc without it falling all over the place? Sounds like a no but this is my hope/thinking. I have a straight hiking daypack and then a camera backpack and my wife has her daypack. All of which need a safe but easily accessed home. I was thinking that's what I'd put up there. Some sort of hook/fastener to keep them mounted while driving.
driveby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2022, 07:49 AM   #4

Those items should store fine up there and I can’t imagine them being much more weight than the mattress and cutout cushion you would be taking out. The cab area is quite stable with not a lot of bouncing while traveling but you would need to have a lip around the edge of the cab cutout just in case so it wouldn’t fall into the cab. Tubs with non skid shelf liner might work also.

2022 Entegra Accolade 37K
2022 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
GibbysWorld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2022, 08:46 AM   #5

We have tried some variations of this over the past 5 years, with some mixed results.

Our first challenge is that almost anything we place in the overcab bunk, does not end up in the same place it started out. Sometimes they wiggle their way to the edge and crash down on our heads. We tried a 1x1 barrier across the edge, but a rough road will give things enough help in jumping over it.

We put a camera bag up there, and it was luckily captured right before falling off (an expensive drop) - so our philosophy is: Anything that might fall and break, can't fall any further than the floor. Our second philosophy is that anything heavy, gets stowed low to keep the center of gravity low - so anything heavy can't go there either.
07 Toyota FJC & Yamaha Kodiak 400 ATV

SloPoke is offline   Reply With Quote